If I refuse to finish KOTFE, what eventually happens?

AJediKnight

I'll be honest: I don't want my character to become Emperor XYZ - it's a completely lame direction for the story to take, and, as far as I am concerned, "ends" her arc (I mean, seriously: why would Emperor XYZ waste their time roaming the galaxy fighting, say, thugs on Nar Shaddaa, or whatever? Wouldn't they be busy, you know, running an empire?) The story of the last expansion has always felt forced to me, but as I got closer to the concluding chapters, I realized that I just didn't want to become that person - I didn't even want my little pixelated incarnation becoming it. I went to level an alt and brood about it for a bit.

A few days removed, I have no desire to finish. So what happens if I just say no? Does the game, upon the launch of the next expansion, just assume my characters are all Emperor/Empresses now? Or does that arc just get treated like midichlorians - swept under the rug to never rear its ugly head again?

Who says you have to become emperor?

You should just play it and make your own decisions.

If you really want to skip it, take the Ossus quest. It will give you pre-determined choices. You will miss on fractured alliances and Ioketh story though. My recomendation is to suck it up and do it.

Edited by Nemmar

Possible spoilers? If still applicable...

The Emperor title is just that - title. It has zero impact on the story. Also, even if you skip straight to Ossus, your character will still be treated as Alliance Commander / "Emperor" and the only thing you'll miss, be the road leading to it.

That said, I'm not sure how it will change in the next expansion. So if you really can't stomach Eternal Empire content, you may wait and see what your character becomes then.

I'll be honest: I don't want my character to become Emperor XYZ - it's a completely lame direction for the story to take, and, as far as I am concerned, "ends" her arc (I mean, seriously: why would Emperor XYZ waste their time roaming the galaxy fighting, say, thugs on Nar Shaddaa, or whatever? Wouldn't they be busy, you know, running an empire?) The story of the last expansion has always felt forced to me, but as I got closer to the concluding chapters, I realized that I just didn't want to become that person - I didn't even want my little pixelated incarnation becoming it. I went to level an alt and brood about it for a bit.

A few days removed, I have no desire to finish. So what happens if I just say no? Does the game, upon the launch of the next expansion, just assume my characters are all Emperor/Empresses now? Or does that arc just get treated like midichlorians - swept under the rug to never rear its ugly head again?

I'm assuming , like other class missions, if you don't finish it, you can't continue on to the next one, it'll just sit there waiting patiently untill the game implodes like a dying sun ;) Just means the char won't be able to do any future missions that continue, but still shoud be able to do events, and the other stuff, not related to the expansions

I end all my alts story after Shadow of Revan, you aren't missing anything, Iokath, Ossus, Dantooine.....all just recolored soulless carrots for the donkeys to follow.

KOFTE/KOTET was great the first time around. But the others - Iokath, Dantooine - are tokens for gear grinds, like you said. They will eventually be like Section X and Black Hole and just daily quests used in conquest with all the tokens and gear gone. They will be player abandoned long before that as once they get their gear, there's no further incentive to even go there.

I end all my alts story after Shadow of Revan, you aren't missing anything, Iokath, Ossus, Dantooine.....all just recolored soulless carrots for the donkeys to follow.

Yet you're still here lmao

Enjoy your stay fellow donkey brethren

KOTFE paints the player character into a corner in terms of story. Which ever opinion you have on the quality of the story telling in KOTET and KOTFE, it ended up being some awkward and poor storytelling to even begin extracting yourself from the role of Commander and Emperor, if that's the route you took.

It's pretty one note on motivations for current and future content: You're the Commander, the Outlander who fixed everything, now come fix this new problem over here. Wow, you did it, you're so amazing. Bleh. Oh, the Republic/Empire needs resources, come fight over here. Wow, you defeated them. Bleh.

There's no emotional storytelling here, it's just like a history teacher forcing you to remember the dates of things, without knowing or caring about the actual interesting bits of why or how.

If you don't want your character to become Emperor/Empress then at the end of the story choose not to be Emperor/Empress. But if you want to actually do future storylines then the game will choose for you whether or not your character is Emperor/Empress.