Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Setting a security key.

killBastila
10.08.2017 , 12:08 PM | #1
Since some times the OTP takes several minutes to arrive to my e-mail, I was thinking on using the security key. But I want one question and need a bit of help if I get to it:

1- If I were to change phone, including phone number, I'd need to unassign the security key and set a new one agai, My searches on this return results from way long past saying that requires a phone call to some place outside my country. I found one result just a bit less old that seems to mean it's no longer the case; but I want to make sure: would I still need a phone call or can it be done through the web now?

2 - Got a security key? Learn about it!. Right below the my SWTOR to the right.I click. It speaks of it and there being an android app, download it now. I download it. Then it doesn't matter if I hit the "got one already?" or the set up the security key in the previous page or through the account's security kei tab: I find both the SWTORSK app and the web are asking me for a serial number. When I do search for where it is, someone says "it's in the web where it says serial number". I don't have that anywhere in the web. Both ask me for that and I don't have it. And I really doubt it's "make up a long number of your choice and enter it in both" Is it that I need the physical key now and it's not stated anywheere? If I hit the "where is my serial number" a popup appears saying when I set up in the mobile device it's assigned, but the screen it shows isn't what I see opening the app, I go straight to it asking me what's the serial number. Hitting cancel rapidly I can get a three dots menu to go to "settings", with EULA and other webpages that don't help. At the bottom is "sync"; but I don't know for sure what "sync" will do. Perhaps it will create the serial number, perhaps now that's what is done and the serial number in the app is something old that remains or I don't know, or it'll result in the security key getting setup which I don't want or do something I don't want.

SteveTheCynic
10.08.2017 , 01:21 PM | #2
1. The security key system doesn't give a flying [REDACTED] what your phone number is. If your phone number *must* change because you change phones, then your provider is defective. (Seriously, outside of certain US providers, most of the world uses technology derived from GSM, and GSM mandates that subscriber identity (and therefore your phone number) is tied to your SIM card, not your phone.)

If you change phones, no you don't need to call anyone. Instead, you log on to the web site and tell it that you lost your key. It will send you a One Time Password email, and from there you can go to My Account and remove the old key from your account (which *also* requires a One Time Password email, separately from the other), and then add the new one. (I had this when I changed phones, and the new phone wouldn't use the old app, even though both were iPhones.)

2. The serial number that the app needs is part of your account, and should be on the "My Account" pages somewhere. Sorry I can't be more help, but it's been a while since I did this. The web page requires a code generated by the app so that SWTOR's login servers know about *your* app on *your* phone.

And make sure the time in your phone is scrupulously correct, or it will generate codes that don't work. They are *good* codes, but they are not the codes that correspond to the current real time.
http://www.swtor.com/r/Hg3sV2
To go to Belsavis, you must go to Belsavis.
> @"Biff.5312" said:
> Exercise your whimsy.

killBastila
10.08.2017 , 01:58 PM | #3
Thanks. As I reopened the window where I had posted the OP and had the security key, this time the serial number did appear. I was having a glitch by which the serial number wasn't appearing where it should.
Security key is now set up. Thank you very much!