Sages?! Sorcerers?! This is Star Wars!!

Ralom-Enoco

irrelevant to everything else that is going on today id like to bring something up. Last i checked... this is STAR WARS! NOT the magic kingdom. I mean Come ON. SAGES? SORCERERS? wth!? why isnt it something Futuristic?!? My only guess is that EAware wanted to attract WoW players... so they had to dirty the starwars name to do it... not happy at all.. thoughts comments? anyone? Edited by Ralom-Enoco
Embarrassed...?

irrelevant to everything else that is going on today id like to bring something up. Last i checked... this is STAR WARS! NOT the magic kingdom. I mean Come ON. SAGES? SORCERERS? wth!? why isnt it something Futuristic?!? My only guess is that EAware wanted to attract WoW players... so they had to dirty the starwars name to do it... not happy at all.. thoughts comments? anyone?

Feel like I am feeding it... but Sith Inquis was designed after Palpatine who used the force more as opposed to saber to saber. Might be wrong here, but I believe Yoda was a sage (or I guess he will one day be a sage :p).

Futuristic? "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away..."

In addition to the bold text, notice the fairy tale feel of that opening line? Star Wars isn't really scifi, it's space opera, which is fantasy in scifi clothing.

Vader was called a sorcerer, Obi-Wan was called an old wizard, there are the Witches of Dathomir and Voss Mystics. That said, the sage was initially named wizard and changed due to massive fan reaction. So there's that...

irrelevant to everything else that is going on today id like to bring something up. Last i checked... this is STAR WARS! NOT the magic kingdom. I mean Come ON. SAGES? SORCERERS? wth!? why isnt it something Futuristic?!? My only guess is that EAware wanted to attract WoW players... so they had to dirty the starwars name to do it... not happy at all.. thoughts comments? anyone?

Talk about person with no clue about the Star Wars IP!

Here you go bro. have at it!

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

It's great that you made a post on the interweb. I just think it's fantastic to see people start interacting with other people on the interweb by making posts.

Don't let anyone discourage you. You keep posting, little buckaroo. The interweb belongs to all of us, not just the people who know what they're talking about.

That didn't mean he as unprepared, however. Dark side sorcery was complex; it attacked the psyche in ways that were difficult to explain and even more difficult to defend against.

Star Wars - Darth Bane: Dynasty of Evil, page 821 (e-book version)

Regaining her balance she saw that Bane was on his feat again, and she knew he had resisted the spell.

Star Wars - Darth Bane: Dynasty of Evil, page 825 (e-book version)

The highlights above are mine, and these are not the only occurrances, but it shows that these terms are used in Star Wars lore.

Sorcerers and Sages exist in the lore of Star Wars. This isn't anything new at all.

i wanna get in on the pwning!

"That old man is just a crazy wizard" -- Owen Lars, Star Wars: A New Hope.

anyone could have just said this to prove me wrong ... i didnt ask for a total massacre of my opinions but i guess thats what you get for posting on any forum :p

Futuristic? "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away..."

In addition to the bold text, notice the fairy tale feel of that opening line? Star Wars isn't really scifi, it's space opera, which is fantasy in scifi clothing.

Vader was called a sorcerer, Obi-Wan was called an old wizard, there are the Witches of Dathomir and Voss Mystics. That said, the sage was initially named wizard and changed due to massive fan reaction. So there's that...

I'd call it space fantasy. Space opera makes me think if Battlestar Galactica.

Edited by Devorin_Sargothi

um well i dont know what to say because now im scared. sorry i dont follow the starwars "lore" into ridiculous depth but there has to be someone who agrees that it sounds a little bit like a medieval term? i really dont know what else to say

From what I know about humanity... we happen to like to "connect" to things. That's why in our languages we have developed words to describe, name, or label things, so that we can understand them better. George Lucas knew that in order for his movies to have a broader appeal he had to not only make up words, but add parallels to other words, so that the viewer (or reader) can make the connection. If anything, you should blame Lucas for using those terms in the first place, instead of Bioware taking his lead and running with it.

Who really cares if it sounds medieval. The word troll sounds that way too... Yet in this case, that word is no less valid than sage or sorcerer.

From what I know about humanity... we happen to like to "connect" to things. That's why in our languages we have developed words to describe, name, or label things, so that we can understand them better. George Lucas knew that in order for his movies to have a broader appeal he had to not only make up words, but add parallels to other words, so that the viewer (or reader) can make the connection. If anything, you should blame Lucas for using those terms in the first place, instead of Bioware taking his lead and running with it.

Who really cares if it sounds medieval. The word troll sounds that way too... Yet in this case, that word is no less valid than sage or sorcerer.

Im not trollin im giving my opinion if I was trollin then id get a warning by now... my preference is that star wars has nothing to do with magic or wands... dont say light sabers are wands and the force is magic. i think this thread is done. my fault for sharing!!!!

Im not trollin im giving my opinion if I was trollin then id get a warning by now... my preference is that star wars has nothing to do with magic or wands... dont say light sabers are wands and the force is magic. i think this thread is done. my fault for sharing!!!!

Magic? The Force. We don't normally call it "magic", but it's close.

The Sith practice crazy rituals, do alchemy, the Jedi learn to heal, there are talking flowers, spirits, ghosts, fairies, DRAGONS even... Actual dragons. And Actual knights. Jedi knights. :)

"Don't try to frighten us with your sorcerer's ways, Lord Vader."

―Conan Antonio Motti, before being Force choked by Darth Vader

(soruce: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Wookieepedia:Quote_of_the_Day/10_May_2009)

It's not much of a stretch to see how they came up with the name.

Now that is going to leave a mark!! Talk about a good pwning!! Excellent!!

:csw_yoda: award for this post!!

um well i dont know what to say because now im scared. sorry i dont follow the starwars "lore" into ridiculous depth but there has to be someone who agrees that it sounds a little bit like a medieval term? i really dont know what else to say

He was okay with the concept of a giant space station shooting lazers and blowing up planets, but calling someone a sorceror was taking it too far.

They are called jedi knights. It should be awfully clear that the game is set in a fantasy scifi setting. if anything the guns are out of place, seeing as how the best warriors use swords.