[Guide] Patch 1.3 (PvE|PvP) Talent Specs For Mercs

UPDATED for Patch 1.6! Click Hyperlinks for Talent Specs.

Arsenal Specs (PvE):

Arsenal Specs (PvP):

Pyrotech Specs (PvE):

Pyrotech Specs (PvP):

Bodygaurd Specs (PvE):

Bodygaurd Specs (PvP):

Interactive KeyBinding Guide For All Classes

Arsenal Video Rotation Guide

• Note: Always use unload on cooldown.

Aerro's Mercenary Stats, Rotation, & Gearing Guide:

My BIS PvE Gear Setup [With all 4 Buffs]:

• 35% crit, 75-80% surge, the rest into power.
  • All augments should be Reflex 22.
  • All mods: Agile 27 / Agile 27A (Testing: Nimble mod 27 for healers to get to about 42% crit).
  • All Enhancements: Adept 27 / Initiative 27 (For DPS, make sure accuracy is about 100%)
  • All Shells: Tionese/Columni/Rakata because their set bonus is attached to shell, not armoring. Allows you to place Reflex 27 armoring in all slots for max stats.
  • All Armorings: Reflex 27
  • Barrel: Reflex 27

PvP Dps Pro Tip: Apply kolto shell to yourself before every warzone or duel starts, then quickly spec back to your dps spec. Free kolto shell buff :)

P.S. Please Rate this thread 5 Stars if it helped you. Thanks! (Rate on the bottom right of the page)

Edited by DkSharktooth
title update

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank You. I have incorporated another build to the list to accommodate for your idea.

I have thought of your build before, however I do not see a use for it since I do not have heat problems for improved vents and never need energy rebounder with my play style for reduced cooldown on energy shield. You shouldn't need energy rebounder if you kite effectively and have good healers. If you swap those 2 points from energy rebounder into automated defenses, you will have 20-30 second cooldown on thermal sensor override which helps tremendously on heat coupled with incendiary missile, fusion mission, or unload.

I too dont think that we overheat enough to need both Automated Defenses (2) and Rapid Venting (2). Improved Vents (2) is sufficient to deal with heat issues. (2 < 4, which give me 2 more points to invest) That leaves Kolto Overload the only thing left in Automated Defences, and I feel that it is also not worth it.

Energy Rebounder allows me to use Shields virtually every <60 seconds (depending on action). This increases my "time-to-kill". I solo a lot and cant alway hope to que up with healers. Kiting in this game is but a theory with all the cc.

I'd like to suggest an alternative for "quick heals" Arsenal PVP spec. Swapping the 2 points in Med Tech (bottom row) for Surgical Precision System (2nd row) means that you will be more efficient with your heals when you need to heal (more often than not, you're healing yourself in an emergency, and thus pushback is an issue). Can't tell you how many times I've stalled out when trying to use even a quick cast on myself because someone's pushing it back.

Making your heals complete faster under fire is arguably (at least in my opinion) better than reducing the cooldown/activation time for heals that will generate more heat in the long run. Heals when they count!

(If you decide to post this build, feel free to recreate it in Torhead. I used DarthHater's build mechanic but they're ultimately the same!)

http://db.darthhater.com/skill_calc/bounty_hunter/mercenary/#::f2ef12efef2e2fe10f2e6f11ef6

i don't see a spec with stabalizers...

personally, i'll take that over 3% crit. i use PS, UL, and CM quite often in PvP.

^ This. Frankly on my server running a pyro merc without stabilizers will get you destroyed, 9/10 enemy dps are pyro pts and marauders, with a good understanding of our weaknesses. I have actually been laughed at before for trying builds without stabilizers, as soon as someone sees their attacks pushing back your casts expect them to mark you up and **** on you for the whole game.

Yes - you can play pyro without stabilizers but what happens when you can't proc a railshot from an unload? (i am so unlucky that this seems to be ~60% of the time) You are sometimes forced to use power shot, and in those situations you will be glad you picked up stabilizers. Pyro is all about being able to reliably burst down people, and if you get pushback-ed while proccing your second railshot in your rotation, good luck.

Edited by HeVans_

^ This. Frankly on my server running a pyro merc without stabilizers will get you destroyed, 9/10 enemy dps are pyro pts and marauders, with a good understanding of our weaknesses. I have actually been laughed at before for trying builds without stabilizers, as soon as someone sees their attacks pushing back your casts expect them to mark you up and **** on you for the whole game.

Yes - you can play pyro without stabilizers but what happens when you can't proc a railshot from an unload? (i am so unlucky that this seems to be ~60% of the time) You are sometimes forced to use power shot, and in those situations you will be glad you picked up stabilizers. Pyro is all about being able to reliably burst down people, and if you get pushback-ed while proccing your second railshot in your rotation, good luck.

so many PT/VG, JK/SW's!!! stabilizers is a must!!

and, while you bring up damage abilities, let me bring up CM. good luck trying to cast that w/out stabilizers...

and if people are not using CM, they should rethink their strats. i can 2v1 most classes w/ a timely, strategically planned CM.

and JK/SW's...makes 1v1 them 1000x easier. especailly, sent/mara that only have one gap closer.

stun or KB, cleanse, kite, kite, kite....CM...heal, heal, heal...kill.(if they break the 1st stun...which they will have to, if they plan on catchin me :p )

Edited by T-Assassin

Um... I don't like either arsenal build for pvp. this is what I run with... I can see the merit in swapping out the ICP points and putting them into med pack for the extra fast heals... but I think this is better for pvp because you need to have the fastest TMs you can fire with out push backs

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#300MIkrRrdRzMzZ0cZfM.2

Edited by Choffware

Um... I don't like either arsenal build for pvp. this is what I run with... I can see the merit in swapping out the ICP points and putting them into med pack for the extra fast heals... but I think this is better for pvp because you need to have the fastest TMs you can fire with out push backs

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#300MIkrRrdRzMzZ0cZfM.2

A good Arsenal Merc doesn't need the increase stamina alacrity and healing from custom enviro, system cal, cardio package. With your duel knockbacks, you should spec for more dps talents as you are also a dps and need to do so in ranked warzones. If you have a good team, u need to spec for max damage and utility.

I have been playing since launch. I have stuck it out with my Arsenal Merc. I have leveled a few other toons but I stuck with the merc because I had faith in bioware guys to get it right. I was guild kicked today after just a few weeks with them. Not because I am not a good player. Not because I am not well geared.. ( Tier 3 PVE and PVP at this point). I was GKICKED because the guild was basicly embarraced to have a Arsenal Merc wearing there guild tag. So.. now that the rated wz's are kicking off, my full war hero merc has not ONE rated match under his belt, no real PVPer wants an arsenal merc on their team. Does not matter that I crit for around 5500, or that in regular wz's my dmg is always within the top three. Fact is a war hero assasin can just stand there while I attack him down to 30 percent then turn around and kill me at will. Along with most people that are full war hero. You can call me a nub if you want but I was told straight up to either start healing with my merc or gear up my sniper if I want on the " A " team. So please tell me when or IF you ever plan to do anything to help this class.. I need to know if I should just throw the character away or to continue moding him out. I really dont think this class has been well tested. I would LOVE to hear back from you with ANY advice on what direction I should go.

I have been playing since launch. I have stuck it out with my Arsenal Merc. I have leveled a few other toons but I stuck with the merc because I had faith in bioware guys to get it right. I was guild kicked today after just a few weeks with them. Not because I am not a good player. Not because I am not well geared.. ( Tier 3 PVE and PVP at this point). I was GKICKED because the guild was basicly embarraced to have a Arsenal Merc wearing there guild tag. So.. now that the rated wz's are kicking off, my full war hero merc has not ONE rated match under his belt, no real PVPer wants an arsenal merc on their team. Does not matter that I crit for around 5500, or that in regular wz's my dmg is always within the top three. Fact is a war hero assasin can just stand there while I attack him down to 30 percent then turn around and kill me at will. Along with most people that are full war hero. You can call me a nub if you want but I was told straight up to either start healing with my merc or gear up my sniper if I want on the " A " team. So please tell me when or IF you ever plan to do anything to help this class.. I need to know if I should just throw the character away or to continue moding him out. I really dont think this class has been well tested. I would LOVE to hear back from you with ANY advice on what direction I should go.

I knew this would happen so I had a game plan way back during patch 1.1. I collected 2 sets for war hero ranked pvp before rated warzones came out, dps and healing. I knew my primary role would be a healer class, even though I would rather dps. I got the dps set in case we got some useful changes to utility, which we did not so I am safely able to settle as a healer. My recommendation: Mercs are healers for patch 1.3 rated pvp, otherwise reroll if you want to dps pvp.

Edited by DkSharktooth

Yea, I healed for awhile with my merc. I know they can be good healer. It just is not fun to heal Pug WZ's for obvious reason. I quit healing after I got full champion gear as it just is not the spec for me. I think it is horrible how you have to use the Kolto missle to stack heals. Just as bad that I have to put a shield on me and the person I am healing while also keeping a kolto missle at their feet. It keeps you busy but not fun at all when somebody attacks you. All the sudden you find yourself running around throwing kolto missles at your own feet. With no real attack abilities you just hope that a team mate will decide to help you.. Good luck with that in a regualr WZ. I am going to continue to stack mods on my DPS merc. Even after he is completely moded out and not viable in rated wz's maybe the developers will fix this class. If not I guess I will have the only geared up merc in the game. As far as I know I am the only dps merc around with full war hero augmented. Once again, for obvious reasons. So I guess I am the real idiot here for not going with my gut and gearing up my sniper when I had the chance.

Yea, I healed for awhile with my merc. I know they can be good healer. It just is not fun to heal Pug WZ's for obvious reason. I quit healing after I got full champion gear as it just is not the spec for me. I think it is horrible how you have to use the Kolto missle to stack heals. Just as bad that I have to put a shield on me and the person I am healing while also keeping a kolto missle at their feet. It keeps you busy but not fun at all when somebody attacks you. All the sudden you find yourself running around throwing kolto missles at your own feet. With no real attack abilities you just hope that a team mate will decide to help you.. Good luck with that in a regualr WZ. I am going to continue to stack mods on my DPS merc. Even after he is completely moded out and not viable in rated wz's maybe the developers will fix this class. If not I guess I will have the only geared up merc in the game. As far as I know I am the only dps merc around with full war hero augmented. Once again, for obvious reasons. So I guess I am the real idiot here for not going with my gut and gearing up my sniper when I had the chance.

I'm personally not giving up hope on my mercenary. Being the all around worst pvp class only warrents concerns for buffs in future patches. I hope things get better with the end of the year expansion.

New video link added to PvE Arsenal Rotation on page1.

thanks for the video. i usually use thermal-override and power-surge with Fusion Missile to make an instant-noheat dot. Could you explain why maybe that is not an efficient use of those 2 abilities (if you think so).

I'm personally not giving up hope on my mercenary. Being the all around worst pvp class only warrents concerns for buffs in future patches. I hope things get better with the end of the year expansion.

Agreed.

My Arsenal Merc will be my fourth level 50 (and the second time I've leveled it)... and I'm torn between doing what I love (Arsenal) and doing what I know will get results (Bodyguard). I'm really not looking forward to picking up TWO sets of PVP gear when all I really want is the one.