Consular...the ultimate Fred Flinstone fantasy...

Dyvim

Too bad I wanted a jedi fantasy...but hey...

I get a pet lizard/dinosaur named Qyzen, almost Dino...

I get to smash and toss rocks all day, PLUS have a magical endless supply of gravel at my disposal, JUST like working at the quarry/gravel pit. DO still need a brontosaurus, but the game is just out of launch, so let's be patient...

And my end game pvp gear looks like something straight out of a rag bag/prehistoric apparel mart...oh and it REALLY works well for Twi's...but different.

So, just need a speeder that has stone wheels and is foot-propelled, and I'm all set.

Comeon BW, WTH are you thinking with this class. Is it any wonder that the Sith side is more popular and is considered "cooler"? Pull head from arse and fix the animations and deliver something with a jedi feel, from the gear, on down please...

Edited by Dyvim

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I enjoy the consular class. I'm sorry you don't.

Perhaps instead of Bioware reworking all aspects of the class to please those who don't like it, those individuals should consider playing a class they do like.

There has been discontent with the class for a long time by alot of people...so perhaps you can convince me how it provides a jedi experience...

For example this thread is full of people that want changes made to the animations, JUST like its predecessors were, build after build in beta....

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=29235

Perhaps you can convince me how the end game gear is appropriate, with its rag look?

Or perhaps you can convince me how THIS gear progression makes sense in a jedi theme or in ANYWAY whatsoever???

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/201/consulargearfail.jpg/

Now on the right side is gear I got at the end of the taris bonus quests...not great, but OK for a female Twi...has a refined, jedi look to it. On the left is the uber endgame pvp gear...oversized tattered pauldrons, hood down because they cant handle the lekku, yet the lekku still clip in the back "hood" area...tattered skirt, and just overall p.o.s. appearance. PLEASE exlpain that gear progression to me...

Perhaps you can convince me of the coolness factor in how our two main abilities consist of throwing junk and pebbles?

Yes, that is part of the problem with the game atm...faction imbalance. So telling people to go play sith side is probably not what we are looking for here. I have seen post after post made by players that list the idiotic presentation of the consular classes as an element in their decision to play sith.

You say you like it. I respect that, but WHY do you like it in relation to jedi, as opposed to shaman in some generic p.o.s. fantasy MMO. I want jedi, not rag wearing, junk tossing, pebble throwing shamans.

Edited by Dyvim

Maybe I'm not reading the same posts you are, so please, provide me some links to all these players who leaving the Sage because of these issues. I've read more and more posts about how many people love the Sage class.

Honestly, if you dislike it that much, don't complain about it and move to another class. I've found the Sage a great example of the Jedi through the storyline. These complaints you have are so minor, why are you complaining? Don't like it, move on.

Personally, I don't find these as issues and the Sage has become my favorite class.

Maybe I'm not reading the same posts you are, so please, provide me some links to all these players who leaving the Sage because of these issues. I've read more and more posts about how many people love the Sage class.

Honestly, if you dislike it that much, don't complain about it and move to another class. I've found the Sage a great example of the Jedi through the storyline. These complaints you have are so minor, why are you complaining? Don't like it, move on.

Personally, I don't find these as issues and the Sage has become my favorite class.

Then you havent been reading the forum.

Please explain to me with something other than "I like it". Beause there are plenty of people that dont like it. Explain to me how the gear progression is so great. Explain to me how throwing junk, debris, and pebbles, and having all your skills based on that, is so great...in relation to jedi lore. Please, would love to hear it.

Bottom line is, if you don't like it play something else. I personally (having played as the Empire since beta) am loving the Republic animations.

As for gear progression, you don't know how lucky you are... Go watch some Assassin videos.

Finally, and most importantly... this is the FIRST set of gear, at the START of an MMO launch. There will be countless new gear sets, as time progresses. Picking/avoiding a class because of it's first set(s) of gear will lead to nothing appart from disappointment.

I like the class. I hate the companions. We seem to get a really raw deal when it comes to the companions.

I reckon we get the worst set in the game... It would be nice if Nadia could tank. But no, we get stuck with the overgrown lizard.

Joy of joys.

Other than that everything else is fine :p

I love my shadow. As far as I'm concerned there's nothing more bad *** or Jedi like then tearing into a group of 5+ mobs(I'm Kinetic spec), flinging large objects at people while all the while spinning with my double bladed lightsaber only to come out of the experience being the only one on my feet.

The gear will come and go. I've worn some hideous and some awesome in my MMO career. The class and play style is what matters. I see more consulars around then any other class (other then maybe Sentinels). I'm sorry you selected a class you don't enjoy but at the end of the day "everyone" does not feel this way. Even the majority does not feel this way. Perhaps you should try a Jedi Knight.

P.S. I do kind of agree with the companion thing though. Most of my friends have a companion they really love and I never got that.

Edited by Dahui

Then you havent been reading the forum.

Please explain to me with something other than "I like it". Beause there are plenty of people that dont like it. Explain to me how the gear progression is so great. Explain to me how throwing junk, debris, and pebbles, and having all your skills based on that, is so great...in relation to jedi lore. Please, would love to hear it.

http://youtu.be/3UQ-pHa87Gc

im seeing alot of rocks and stuff being thrown around; seems to fit the lore just fine.

i like the rest of the posters in this thread find the class to be just fine. if you dont like it so much then pick a different class.

http://youtu.be/3UQ-pHa87Gc

im seeing alot of rocks and stuff being thrown around; seems to fit the lore just fine.

i like the rest of the posters in this thread find the class to be just fine. if you dont like it so much then pick a different class.

Are you kidding me? The ONLY person throwing things is DOOKU, the sith. Yoda deflects them. Dooku, the sith starts by THROWING things at Yoda. Comeon. That is the whole point, a FEW jedi have thrown objects as attacks. Yoda in RotS, but he throws back one senate car after Sidious throws several at him. Anakin in AotCs, but he is far from the jedi poster boy and is very much on his path to the darkside. In the same movie he slaughters sandpeople, gets married, and a host of other, non-jedi behavior.

EVERY SITH throws things. Maul, Vader, Dooku, Palpitane. Thats why you would NEVER base a jedi casting class on throwing rocks, junk and debris. Ever since Vader threw debris on Bespin and debris throwing was a darkside trait in the first real jedi game, DF2:JK, everyone knows debris throwing is a inherently, typically, darkside trait.

So again, lets get away from the "I like it because I like it". Or the endgame gear sux, but hey they only worked on the game for 5 years, Im sure we will get more gear later and MAYBE it WONT sux???? DO better peeps. Basing lightside skillsets on junk throwing is wrong. The gear progression for this class is wrong. Try to defend that, instead of "I like it". You simply cannot watch the six star wars movies and see this debris throwing, rag wearing class and think jedi elite consular/diplomat. It just doesnt fit.

Edited by Dyvim

Wait, this is about the Sage?! You guys need to be in dresses... It's the Shadow that need the BAMF clothing. Also, if this thread IS about Shadow - Telekinetic Throw should NOT be one of your main abilities, lol.

lol? Kinetic Combat Shadows use Telekinetic Throw all the time. It's one of our top priority abilities.

Unfortunately experiences are subjective so any explanation given by anyone is not going to change your enjoyment or lack of.

Play another class or quit the game it's up to you, I do think what you're asking won't get any answers that satisfy you.

lol? Kinetic Combat Shadows use Telekinetic Throw all the time. It's one of our top priority abilities.

Spec into hybrid kinetic/balance, its more useful anyway (I still prefer it to full tank spec even after 1.1)

Or ask Bioware to make "telekinetic throw" throw less but much larger debris and make it so they fly in the face. That'll be so much more badas s.

Edited by Vesperr

Unfortunately experiences are subjective so any explanation given by anyone is not going to change your enjoyment or lack of.

Play another class or quit the game it's up to you, I do think what you're asking won't get any answers that satisfy you.

Thats kind of the point...Im not talking about subjective things...like "I like it". I would like to hear something from the lore of the movies that supports the junk throwing, rag wearing instantiation of the jedi casting class that we are currently stuck with...junk throwing is a darkside trait. Rag wearing...not sure who that belongs to...

Thats kind of the point...Im not talking about subjective things...like "I like it". I would like to hear something from the lore of the movies that supports the junk throwing, rag wearing instantiation of the jedi casting class that we are currently stuck with...junk throwing is a darkside trait. Rag wearing...not sure who that belongs to...

Dark side is more likely to throw lightning (Palpatine, Dooku). Vader threw objects like his lightsaber, and random crap at Luke. So really, any offensive tactic is dark side.

"Jedi use the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack" - Yoda

If we use the movies as reference, then Consulars would be the premiere tank class, without an ounce of dps abilities. Lines like that are great in a movie, and terrible in any game.

Rag-wearing: Obi-wan on Tattooine, Yoda on Dagobah. There are clear rips and frayed patches on Yoda's robe.

For what it's worth, I understand some of what the OP is talking about.

I love the way my sage plays. But I also was like WTH, endless supply of tiny rocks, THAT is what I do?! Ugh. How very Jedi Like. I mastered the force to ... throw pebbles. Nice.

So I did have some serious issues with how the powers looked, not how they played. If I had been "hurling raw force that disturbs and damages my enemies" or "creating a wave of disturbance in the force that slows down and tears at enemies" I could have gotten more behind that, etc etc, but whatever.

I also think we have by far the worst companions ever. Specially when compared to the knight.

Lastly, I thought our story was pretty neat and fun... until i tried a jedi knight's and then I was like OMG that was so much fun I just don't know what to do. I prefer the way my sage plays, by a lot, but I love having companions I care about as a knight, real dark and light choices that truly tempted me (I fell to temptation several times in spite my original determination to simply not do it) and so I stopped playing for a while until I resolve my inner conflict.

Perhaps you can convince me how the end game gear is appropriate, with its rag look?

Or perhaps you can convince me how THIS gear progression makes sense in a jedi theme or in ANYWAY whatsoever???

If you want to say " this doesn't fit the jedi theme " exactly what " jedi theme " are you talking about ? Like... did ANY non-sith jedi in the movies wear " bling " crap ? No, they wore robes.

You can QQ about the gear all you want but don't say it isn't appropriate. :rolleyes:

If you want to say " this doesn't fit the jedi theme " exactly what " jedi theme " are you talking about ? Like... did ANY non-sith jedi in the movies wear " bling " crap ? No, they wore robes.

You can QQ about the gear all you want but don't say it isn't appropriate. :rolleyes:

what do you mean by bling? The jedi are monks which is why they had similar uniforms. What we have a problem with is that The PvP gear are animal skin garments.

The only people that I know of from the movies that wore full robes were Yoda and Sideous(the people the Sage is based off of). Every other jedi Wears a hooded cloak with a tunic that has pants. Obi wan? Tunic with pants. Anakin? Tunic with pants, Qui gon? tunic with pants. Luke? Black tunic with pants.

going EU: Bastilla/Satele Shan Sleeveless tunic with leggins.(these are the more important examples as the game takes place in their era and the Shadow/Assassin are based off these two in particular)

Sith: Ventress wore a skirt but she was a sentinel. Maul? Tunic with baggy pants( they slowed for the agile movements people who use double bladed sabers are known for)

EU: Most Assassins Dressed like maul and anyone who was sorcerror or sage like wore the skirt peace. Most were the stereotypical Juggernaut.

instead of throwing rock they could have easily used this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pjffq5v2CHM

see 44 secs. They could change it to blue and make it an open palm motion. Would still look cool as the rock animation while keeping true to jedi using purely the force.

telekinetic throw could easily be changed to a beam of blue force and change the name to telekinetic stream

Kinetic ward could easily have just gave a shadow a blue Aura similar to those of the sentinels or reused the Force armor animation.

I wouldn't attribute it to laziness on the dev's part. I think they were over zealous and animators wanted to flex their muscles. Realizing that the jedi don't really have visually stimulating powers from the movies they has to improvise and thought these animation were cool.(which they are but they thought about it too much and missed the obvious choices like i suggested above)

Hi i m a homeless!"spear some Change?!" no?! Argh!!

/use throwing garbage(tlecinetic throw+Project)

i carry diesise!!like a rat!! :eek:

/use wikening mind + Maind Crush

anyway buff up this class cos pve+pvp such!questing and story line are ok!:D

For example this thread is full of people that want changes made to the animations, JUST like its predecessors were, build after build in beta....

You also have threads full of people who want a ranged class to have a melee spec, who complain that scoundrels/operatives have to fight in melee range and want them to be deadlier at distance, who ask that jedi knight get heals and so on. If I'd get 1 cent for every time I read something silly on any MMO's official forum, I'd have enough money to fund a generational expedition to Alfa Centauri by now.

Story-wise, Sage gear prior to Rakata is close to perfect. After all, remember Yoda the first time we ever saw him - he barely looked any different from your average homeless person (well, minus short and green :D). And yet, he turned out to be one of the most powerful Jedi Masters to have ever lived. "But surely, that's the result of his exile?" you will say - no, not really. his dress in other fights during the prequel trilogy is not much different from what he's wearing in exile. A bit more clean, perhaps, but that's it.

Of course, there's also the Rakata (pve) set... that's just plain ugly. Then again, as soon as they give us extractable armor in purple gear, I'll switch back to my corellian robe or another cool alternative, so it's not THAT big a deal.

As for rocks... to each his own - you're free to gorge on Sorcerer's lightning if you wish to or spec Telekinetic and use Disturbance as main spell. I love Telekinetic Throw almost as much as I love Project (damage delay included).

EDIT:

what do you mean by bling? The jedi are monks which is why they had similar uniforms. What we have a problem with is that The PvP gear are animal skin garments.

Really?

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20091215163226/starwars/images/thumb/5/52/MarisBrood_bg.jpg/369px-MarisBrood_bg.jpg

For a monk, that's hot as hell.

http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/b/ba/Luminarafull.jpg

May the Hat be with you.

http://i56.tinypic.com/30969si.jpg

Yeah, I'm definitely not buying that "monk" thing

http://rpggamer.org/shippics/jocastanu.jpg

This looks remarkably similar to Corellian robes, tbh

I think you get the point :)

Edited by tufy

I enjoy the consular class. I'm sorry you don't.

Perhaps instead of Bioware reworking all aspects of the class to please those who don't like it, those individuals should consider playing a class they do like.

No fair bringing logic to the internet:D!