Preview Exciting New Reveals from E3!

One new planet, one new OPS or one new WZ means NOTHING to me. This type of content will be outdated before it even hits live... This is a game design failure.

Having them is of course not a bad thing,as long as you have already established some sort of metagame end content that can form the back bone of the game keeping the community active and these can be regular updates like the icing on a cake.

Unfortunately in our case this IS the main content and there is no way Bioware can keep up with the demand on the long run. You think I am wrong? Just take a look at what we have so far within only 6 months... Many planets... all deserted and people leaving the game because of boredom.

Back in the days when WoW became the king of MMOs the simplistic easymode themepark item/gear based approach was something innovative appealing to the crowds, compared to the complexity and hardcore mode other MMOs of the time had. After many years of that though this approach will not cut it... Want proof, just check how many high promised "2nd gen" MMOs have failed following this recipe.

Unless they can come up with a plan that will revitalize the old planets and older content as well as keeping the new content interesting, this game like most others before it will slowly bleed dry of subs. To make things worse the structure of the game content is SOOOO linear that changing this fact at this point almost seems impossible.

Seriously HOW MANY times will it take for you to solo the new space mission before you get sick of it? How heroic is it when you have a couple of thousand WRATHs of the emperor just standing in the imperial fleet with their same companion? Is it social when you buy items from a cantina just because they are named "social"?

In the end I find it funny how people focus on what species they will be releasing... as if different species in SWTOR have any game influence other than a different model skin and an worthless ability. People NEED to start noticing the real issues thisgame has and stop bothering with minor details, it is like arguing about the paint color when your boat is sinking!!!

True story - I bought a game that was "Story Driven" to find out endgame is Carrot-Stick same as WoW, same as Rift in which I left both of those for some of the same reasons. The leveling in SWTOR far and widely exceeds other MMOs but endgame is the same stuff with different paint...

Does this even matter? All they did was list some things that they think would be cool. Doesn't mean it will happen or that it will happen soon enough to matter.

Actions speak louder than words.

It will convince you guys though I expect. I learnt from the 1.2 hype ("jesus patch") to realise all ea and BW do well is hype and marketting and not gameplay.

Same as what I was saying above, EAWare is all about hype and how many customers they can con into buying their product.

"SWTOR is gonna be fantastic! It's all Story-driven content with amazing polish"

"That sounds awesome! What do you do at level cap?"

"Well, it's like World of Warcraft except easier and with lightsabers!" ...

"You guys are going to LOVE Rated Warzones in 1.2!"

... ...

I actually remember the first thing I said after playing the "jesus patch", "This is it?". It seemingly did nothing..except give out pets and oddly 30days game time. And I suspect, with the way that the "free time" was implemented, that it had something to do with holding onto a customer for an extra 30 so they could pad the numbers. I don't know about all of you, but for my "free 30 days" I had to actually PAY for another month AFTER the date that it was supposed to go into effect. Suspicious methinks.

Man MMO players are so wierd. You are all so passionate about which game is "best" and most popular :)

SWTOR is a really good game if you got rid of the sub. Thats my view. But it has a sub and, as such, really isnt worth paying to play.

This is just icing on the cake. SWTOR is simply not worth the money. EA is trying to turn this into a cash cow like Blizzard did to WoW. On a dead server? Pay us to get off.. (After the "free transfer" allotted time is over of course). GW2 is a one time payment, plus any labeled expansion packs, but after you buy it it's totally free to play! Mechwarrior Online - which looks incredibly well done is completely free with a moderate real-money shop similar to many F2Ps and they have already taken measures to prevent buy-to-win syndrome.

If Bioware thinks raising the level cap is going to make matters better they need to wake up REAL quick. They have a rough time with class balance now, and with keeping up with new content (other than carrotstick raids). What makes you think an extra XX levels is going to smooth out the sea in order for this 'titanic' to float?

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not ready to quit the game or anything, but Cathat? Out of all the cool races in the game we get to play Thunder cats? Cathar are lame; just another cat person race like all the others in sci fi pulp since Amazing Stories. What about Ithorians? Rhodians? Nautilans? Voss?

I'm not ready to quit the game or anything, but Cathat? Out of all the cool races in the game we get to play Thunder cats? Cathar are lame; just another cat person race like all the others in sci fi pulp since Amazing Stories. What about Ithorians? Rhodians? Nautilans? Voss?

Cathar was the most asked for near-human species (aside from Togruta). Voss didn't even make the list. Ithorians, rodians, wookiees, and other more non-human species will require their own storyline, according to BioWare, so look for those in the future.

Edited by JeramieCrowe

It seems like there are some people who are complaining and some who are excited. I hope that when the update comes out most of the people will stop complaining for a while at least, because they are asking a lot of BW, who have done a very good job. I don't understand why people are getting all upset just because Cather were chosen above other species, or that they are bringing out a new space battle. These are amazing leaps and bounds in updates. Why are many people complaining?

Bioware great job! :sy_title:

It seems like there are some people who are complaining and some who are excited. I hope that when the update comes out most of the people will stop complaining for a while at least, because they are asking a lot of BW, who have done a very good job. I don't understand why people are getting all upset just because Cather were chosen above other species, or that they are bringing out a new space battle. These are amazing leaps and bounds in updates. Why are many people complaining?

Bioware great job! :sy_title:

Answer: Because they're little kids who expect everything to be given to them all at once and don't understand/take into account how things work. It's been the same with Starcraft 2. Everyone expects the game to work in their favor forgetting that that's NOT how things work. They also expect it to be at Brood War level at release. It's NEVER going to happen. EVER. That's the dumbest and worst expectation to have, of all time.

Agreement: BW has done a phenomenal job with this game. I say keep up the great work and continue to thrive.

Cathar was the most asked for near-human species (aside from Togruta). Voss didn't even make the list. Ithorians, rodians, wookiees, and other more non-human species will require their own storyline, according to BioWare, so look for those in the future.

So Togruta was asked for more? - where can i get this information?

And why wasn't Togruta the new race then?

I don't mean to complain, but Cathar don't sound great - haven't come across any Cathar fans (Togruta is my most awaited race personally).

I'm happy with the update, just a bit suprised about this one thing.

Although, I'm more concerned about what people who want to change appearance/race have to do - since we may have high levels we don't want to redo.

Edited by Flaraza

I love all these WoW fans with an agenda cryin about how Bioware isnt doing enough (If you dont know **** about programming stop *****in bout how fast they should be releasing stuff, Warcraft wasnt perfected in 6 months either. that **** takes dozens of people a grip of man hours... and money). They've been adding new **** every couple weeks, and we get a new level cap and race only 6 months after the game came out (which we dont have to pay for by the way) GO BIOWARE GO!!

I don't mean to complain, but Cathar don't sound great - haven't come across any Cathar fans (Togruta is my most awaited race personally).

Although, I'm more concerned about what people who want to change appearance/race have to do - since we may have high levels we don't want to redo.

Well I am a Cather fan so there you have met one! lol

Cathar was the only one announced. That doesn't mean that's the only one coming.

I love all these WoW fans with an agenda cryin about how Bioware isnt doing enough (If you dont know **** about programming stop *****in bout how fast they should be releasing stuff, Warcraft wasnt perfected in 6 months either. that **** takes dozens of people a grip of man hours... and money). They've been adding new **** every couple weeks, and we get a new level cap and race only 6 months after the game came out (which we dont have to pay for by the way) GO BIOWARE GO!!

its an expansion though? so we will have to pay?

Cathar was the only one announced. That doesn't mean that's the only one coming.

Yeah I found that out, thanks though.

But where does it say which races were asked for most?

But where does it say which races were asked for most?

Most of the polls were pre-launch, which means they have been wiped. Other ones are on here, on this site. Should be able to do a search.

I have to go to bed, though, before wife lynches me.

Sadly for me I was hoping Cathar would be 1.3 content as it appeared in the videos.. but sadly not.

Having just had a look at the test server ... no Cathar for me..

Ahh well back to the endless credit grind or the extra endless 50 grind on a server with no population.

So does anyone know WHEN the Cathar are added or is it a "comming soon" thing.. ie sometime this century ... like chat bubbles.

So does anyone know WHEN the Cathar are added or is it a "comming soon" thing.. ie sometime this century ... like chat bubbles.

From what i've read all of the E3 previews will be out later this year.

http://www.darthhater.com/articles/swtor-news/20634-e3-2012-darth-hater-interview-with-daniel-erickson

Dunno if this article has already been posted but its rather informative. HK-51 sounds like a ***** to get, but he'll be worth it. Terror From Beyond will likely be the best operation and I REALLY do hope they open it up to the community for suggestions on which alien races to add as playable.

LotN

Not to derail your "get the facts correct," but you're making more of an assumption of why the subs were lost than the person you quoted. In addition these sites believe Blizzard's subscription loss is directly attributed to TOR going off what World of Warcraft producer John Lagrave stated. Blizzard even claims the subscriptions dropped because people finished the content quicker than any other expansion (take that with a grain of salt, of course).

While I never played World of Warcraft, it seems that the game has hit its climax in 2010 (12 million subscriptions) and has been eroding ever since. Stating the game is "steady at 10.2 million" seems a bit odd to me, considering in May 2011 they had 11.4 million and in September 2011 they were at 10.2 million. Since Blizzard hasn't released any numbers yet, but have admitted TOR had an impact, it seems a bit of a stretch to state their 10.2 million -while still an impressive amount- is "steady."

I'm sure if Warcraft's "Scroll of Resurrection" incentive is successful, we'll hear about it, just like if Mists of Pandaria is successful. Otherwise, I would think you'd have to wait for Blizzard's next quarterly report to see whether their subscriptions are "steady" or not.

YMMV.

Yes, TOR did have some impact on WoW losing some subs. Esp as fans got prepared for it's release in the middle of 2011. They started however to lose a lot of subs shortly after the release of Cata and Blizz even admitted they made some design changes mistakes and thus in MOP they are going back to WOTLK style dungeons. Which are basically shorter and easier to do for casuals. They did release thier quarterly reports for the same quarter BioWare did for TOR. It has remained the same at 10.2 million for the last 2 sub reporting cycles. Look it up on MMO Champ's WoW posts.

Edited by Valkirus

Yes, TOR did have some impact on WoW losing some subs. Esp as fans got prepared for it's release in the middle of 2011. They started however to lose a lot of subs shortly after the release of Cata and Blizz even admitted they made some design changes mistakes and thus in MOP they are going back to WOTLK style dungeons. Which are basically shorter and easier to do for casuals. They did release thier quarterly reports for the same quarter BioWare did for TOR. It has remained the same at 10.2 million for the last 2 sub reporting cycles. Look it up on MMO Champ's WoW posts.

WoW is not a good game i do not think this game is better then that game.