Level 70 - 74 gear drops are an absolute joke

Screaming_Ziva

I've been leveling my 70s to 75 this weekend through Ops and FPs and the drops for level 70 - 74 characters are ridiculous.

First of all, you get one piece of gear from bosses when level 75s get 3 or 4 (ok, they're in "end game" so I'll let that go). However, you seem to get a relic at least 75% of the time from your drops and many times, it isn't even for your spec (I keep getting tanking relics on my Gunslingers and Snipers). Then, if you do happen to not get a relic, again, it's an item that isn't for your spec.

Is it really that hard to correctly drop gear for levels 70 - 74?

Why would you actually care? Everything that drops before level 75 is garbage for you soon anyway and hardly helps while beeing downleveled constantly. When doing FPs you take about 6-7 with boost and rested XP to get to level 75, that is extremely fast anyway.

I've been leveling my 70s to 75 this weekend through Ops and FPs and the drops for level 70 - 74 characters are ridiculous.

First of all, you get one piece of gear from bosses when level 75s get 3 or 4 (ok, they're in "end game" so I'll let that go). However, you seem to get a relic at least 75% of the time from your drops and many times, it isn't even for your spec (I keep getting tanking relics on my Gunslingers and Snipers). Then, if you do happen to not get a relic, again, it's an item that isn't for your spec.

Is it really that hard to correctly drop gear for levels 70 - 74?

The short answer is: You're doing it wrong. At level 70 you do the Onslaught story which makes you level 75 before finishing it and gives you a full set of 268 gear. That's the easy way to get starter gear and get to level 75.

You can choose to do other things but then you get different rewards. Such is the reality. And it's just for the first character because you get so much gear at level 75, which is all legacy bound, that you can pass it to your alts.

Bottom line is that it's just best to do the main story of Onslaught at level 70. Nothing else gives that level gear till you hit 75 afaik.

Why would you actually care?

Well, for me, it matters because I like collecting gear sets and very few of my characters have Ossus gear which is what is dropping off of bosses for those levels now. By mostly getting relics and only getting one piece per boss my odds of getting key pieces for cosmetic use are greatly reduced.

I haven't checked. Can I still get Ossus gear from doing the Ossus grind? And are the Ossus mobs still dropping their unique loot profile?

Well I care. I didnt grind Ossus I dont have Ossus gear on any char but I would love to get a set from drops. Sadly most times its a relic or implant for wrong spec:D

I stubbornly refused to grind ossus gear. Never used it even on my main who started 6.0 with a full set of 252 gear sitting at the bottom of his inventory (obtained from command crates and while I was grinding ossus rep for the title).

I levelled 70-75 in levelling gear with no mods. So gear below 75 is quite literally insignificant.

Well, for me, it matters because I like collecting gear sets and very few of my characters have Ossus gear which is what is dropping off of bosses for those levels now. By mostly getting relics and only getting one piece per boss my odds of getting key pieces for cosmetic use are greatly reduced.

I haven't checked. Can I still get Ossus gear from doing the Ossus grind? And are the Ossus mobs still dropping their unique loot profile?

To this question: "Can I still get Ossus gear from doing the Ossus grind?". I would say I believe so.

However, when you will get to level 75, you will find some armor sets that are cosmetically identical to the Ossus armor sets. Don't waste your time grinding the armor sets on Ossus. You don't need to feel that pain :)

When one of the new features is the option to set loot by discipline, you'd think they would actually use it.

But nope, while leveling most of the gear as mentioned are relics, and most for tanking - regardless of discipline.

At 75, drops and personal rewards continue to provide gear that is not for the selected loot discipline.

Is the issue with non-discipline specific loot the biggest issue in game right now - hardly.

But it is another irritation in a long list that show a lack of polish and quality in the small amount of content released.

I stubbornly refused to grind ossus gear. Never used it even on my main who started 6.0 with a full set of 252 gear sitting at the bottom of his inventory (obtained from command crates and while I was grinding ossus rep for the title).

I levelled 70-75 in levelling gear with no mods. So gear below 75 is quite literally insignificant.

You missed my point.... entirely.

This is not about having a better gear. This is about having a set of Ossus gear for the looks only. As somebody who leveled 8 chars to 75, half of them in 220 gear I am well aware I dont need better gear for leveling.

Edited by Gelious

To this question: "Can I still get Ossus gear from doing the Ossus grind?". I would say I believe so.

However, when you will get to level 75, you will find some armor sets that are cosmetically identical to the Ossus armor sets. Don't waste your time grinding the armor sets on Ossus. You don't need to feel that pain :)

I have not seen any sets from Onslaught that are recolors from Ossus. Some of Ossus sets are recolors of older sets, but the Experimental sets are not. Much of the Onslaught sets are recolors of pre-Ossus gear, but not of Ossus gear.

Now, I'm only on ilvl 280 right now so I've only seen the green and blue sets. Since they are recolors of vanilla armor I assumed purple will be the same.

Grinding content to collect gear sets is what I do most. This thread has reminded me that I'm behind on making new similarity tags for TorFashion. My to do list has grown huge! :eek:

Why would you actually care? Everything that drops before level 75 is garbage for you soon anyway and hardly helps while beeing downleveled constantly. When doing FPs you take about 6-7 with boost and rested XP to get to level 75, that is extremely fast anyway.

Using this logic you can ask "why do levels 70 - 74 even get drops?"

If something is dropping gear, the drop should be appropriate and correct for the player. It doesn't matter if it's "garbage soon".

Using this logic you can ask "why do levels 70 - 74 even get drops?"

If something is dropping gear, the drop should be appropriate and correct for the player. It doesn't matter if it's "garbage soon".

Should it? That's what you want but it doesn't have to be that way. All content up to Onslaught can be done with 230 gear. Ossus still drops 252 an 258 gear. The thing is that this game allows you to be seriously overleveled but that doesn't mean that lower level content should drop higher level gear.

You can see this for example with the heroics which stop dropping gear at some level and alliance crates instead. The mods you can buy on the fleet also go to a point. Content that is for over level 70 is essentially Onslaught and endgame. Onslaught gives you that 268 gear that sets you up for endgame gearing. But even Onslaught doesn't require that gear. I went through there without issue with my 252 gear.

In essence by not being ready for Onslaught at level 70, you are overleveled and you don't get better gear till you do Onslaught or get to level 75. I get that you find it annoying but there is no need for the game to give you better gear from 71-74. It serves no purpose for the content.

At level 70 you can get all the gear you need already to get to 75. So why give you more gear? I assume you haven't done Onslaught because you are still somewhere before that in the story but since Onslaught levels you to 75 in no time, you're just stuck in over-leveled limbo for a few final levels until you hit 75 or go to Onslaught. Not a perfect situation but also not one that should be a reason for concern in my view.