Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

SWTOR Unleashed (game files in RAM to improve performance)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
SWTOR Unleashed (game files in RAM to improve performance)

Exasperaties
05.06.2015 , 12:59 PM | #861
Is SWTOR Unleashed compatible with 3.2? Whenever I see new ziost missions or new ingame items they are simply listed as "[ ]" Along with I couldnt do Ziost on 3.2 because of no dialogue sound.

WorldSmasher
05.06.2015 , 04:33 PM | #862
If this works and really improves performance, then why doesn't BW buy it from those guys and put it in the game, but with options in the preferences menu to turn it on or off, and other settings?

Heat-Wave
05.06.2015 , 04:44 PM | #863
windows symbolic link

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...+symbolic+link

This program, to some extent, makes the above easier for the average user to do, but honestly it isn't that hard...

Using a RAM Drive:

http://www.amd.com/en-us/products/memory/ramdisk

You can do this yourself by making links to the files. The upside, no need to disable anything when updates happen, the program never knows the difference.

In fairness, this will make far more different to people who run off a hard drive, if you use a SSD it will make far less difference.

Heat-Wave
05.06.2015 , 04:47 PM | #864
Quote: Originally Posted by WorldSmasher View Post
If this works and really improves performance, then why doesn't BW buy it from those guys and put it in the game, but with options in the preferences menu to turn it on or off, and other settings?
There is no need to buy it, if Bioware wanted to they could change the game around to use more system memory... but rarely do software companies bother.

All this is really doing is loading the files into memory and running them from there. This is something that Bioware could do on their own if they wanted to, but it would create another thing to test and validate and it only works if you have enough memory to load enough to matter, 8GB or more.

Buy a SSD, accomplishes a lot of the same thing for less trouble. Not as fast as this would be, but it helps a lot.

Nemenik
05.30.2015 , 05:02 PM | #865
Is this working with 3.2 yet?

Criosdh
05.31.2015 , 10:47 PM | #866
Quote: Originally Posted by Nemenik View Post
Is this working with 3.2 yet?
Would also like to know. I'm running a GTX 660, 8 cores at 3.50 on Windows 8, 8 gigs of DDR3 and a Kingston SSD dedicated to a few games I play. I still get annoying little hitches in frame rate at random spots in the game despite an average of probably 50 FPS, but most annoying is the little stutter I get when mounting or dismounting. It's obvious there's a few little things in the game that can't be called on efficiently when loading in and out of the game so I'd be curious to see if this program would cure that.

Elracor
06.01.2015 , 04:14 AM | #867
Well I'm currently using SWTOR Unleashed, the only issue I had was that the game would often crash to desktop, seemingly because the Ramdisk is too small even with the +100mb option ticked on.

I added 200mb to the RamDriveSize in the SwtorUnleashed.xml file, opened SWTORUnleashed, clicked Remove and Quit, reopened SWTOR Unleashed and click SWTOR Unleashed to play as usual. It now works without crashing and the RAMDisk often has less than 200mb storage left. It might be enough to add just 25-50mb rather than 200mb.

SimplyCooL
07.22.2015 , 11:25 AM | #868
Anyone else experiencing any crashes, when trying to load any characters as of 3.3 Togruta Update. Only characters, that seem to be spared crashes, are those currently not on a planet. (stronghold or such)

Please can anybody offer advice/help/fix/troubleshooting. This tool was really my saving grace with this AWFUL SOFTWARE of a game.

Edit: Well, after trimming down a bunch of assets that i use to load into the RAM drive, the game now loads, runs and plays fairly alright( I mean - No Worse than before.) Cant tell, if this Config does all i need ( its only about 4 GB total now - substantially less than before ), or BIoware actually fixed something like the god awful UI performance.

In either event, Unleashed can probably make the game unstable with certain assets loaded now, but i happily wont be unsubbing.
This is a Bioware game. Bioware does story very well. If you do not want story, this is not the game for you. - KawaiiAngel
- Oh cool.I HAVE been cloned! Rereral link http://www.swtor.com/r/Bngqgm Its a win/win for both, if you care about free stuff.

Gentooten
07.22.2015 , 12:58 PM | #869
Quote: Originally Posted by WorldSmasher View Post
A better question would be, why do we have to jump through hoops to make the game run correctly.

Steelarion
07.22.2015 , 01:23 PM | #870
Quote: Originally Posted by Gentooten View Post
A better question would be, why do we have to jump through hoops to make the game run correctly.
You don't

Well...I don't...I've never had a single performance issue....ever

Lucky I guess?