Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Making of Gear Inspired by “The Mandalorian”

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
The Making of Gear Inspired by “The Mandalorian”
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Xina_LA
11.28.2020 , 07:32 AM | #21
Just flag the cartel market Mando rifle as being all types of rifle so every pew-pew class can use it.
--=# Decorating addict of Satele Shan server. #=--

jedimasterjac
11.28.2020 , 08:24 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Xina_LA View Post
Just flag the cartel market Mando rifle as being all types of rifle so every pew-pew class can use it.
It doesn't/can't work like that, though. Bounty Hunters and smugglers use Blaster Pistols only -- and you can't just flag a 2-handed (long) rifle as being a blaster pistol. You also can't just flag it as being an autocannon.
Quote: Originally Posted by Grand Master Yoda
We are what they grow beyond. That is the burden of all masters.
Feel like I've said something good? Click my referral link for free goodies!

OlBuzzard
11.28.2020 , 11:28 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Xina_LA View Post
I'm afraid that in order for the "sniper rifle" to be used by the Mando that character/ class would have to be "coded" as being able to use that weapon. That would probably open the door to the question of "inter class weapon use". More than likely that would not happen.

This in my opinion is much like a special forces character like the Republic "Havoc Squad" trooper / commando only using the auto cannon / heavy blaster cannon. While it is true that "grenades" show up on the skill / abilities / rotation lists the auto cannon is the only "choice" of weapon. You would think that a special forces person could make use of a blaster pistol as well as a sniper rifle ... or just about any weapon available (with the possible exception of the light saber). BUT ... that is not the case. IMO this is one of those points of discussion that has to finally yield to the concept of the class / character and the game design !

I'm NOT saying it's entirely fair ... but I do understand why it's done that way !

Edited !!! (oops !! )
(████████████████████████████]:|█[ioi]█[|||████]|█|

Xienive
11.28.2020 , 11:53 AM | #24
I really do wish they'd finally let some classes use alternative weapons. It may not work with all of them, but it would with some of them. That would at least be a start. Powertech, as an example, literally only uses its blaster with the basic attack. It's mostly just cosmetic. There wouldn't even need to be any new animations. Just give them blaster rifle certification. Commando can already use blaster rifles, they just need to remove the cannon requirement on a few skills. Operative could very easily be adapted to carrying a pistol, etc.

At this point with all cartel armor being adaptive and any class being able to use any piece, the idea that a certain class uses certain equipment, or looks a certain way, is long since dead anyway. They realized early on they'd sell more armor if any class could use any set, and the same would be true if more classes could use certain weapons. Again just start with the few easy ones, and go from there based on what's feasible. It is a shame that such a nice rifle was put in game but essentially only two classes can really make good use of it.

jedimasterjac
11.28.2020 , 12:17 PM | #25
The claim that the developers can easily remove weapon restrictions is an assumption we don’t have much evidence for. We have, basically, no idea what the underlying code behind class weapon restrictions looks like and what spaghetti code it might be tied to.

I mean, I wouldn’t mind relaxing the weapon restrictions, but I also just don’t really get why people mind so much.

OlBuzzard
11.28.2020 , 12:20 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by jedimasterjac View Post
The claim that the developers can easily remove weapon restrictions is an assumption we don’t have much evidence for. We have, basically, no idea what the underlying code behind class weapon restrictions looks like and what spaghetti code it might be tied to.

I mean, I wouldn’t mind relaxing the weapon restrictions, but I also just don’t really get why people mind so much.
I'm kind of coming from this point of view .... sort of !

IMO .. the independent weapons choices are sort of what helps to define certain classes. In the suggestion I made for a new class it was necessary to find something that would be unique and yet still fit the SW genre.
(████████████████████████████]:|█[ioi]█[|||████]|█|

Sleeperzz
11.28.2020 , 04:26 PM | #27
Bounty Hunter use to have a Flame Thrower too.
It was nerfed because the Bounty Hunter was too powerful. Of course the BH should be powerful.
BRING it Back, Flame Thrower for the Bounty Huner.

The Bonty Hunter as show in Star Wars can use a Flame Thrower, Sniper Rifle, Blaster Rifle and Blaster Pistols.
In the SWTOR the BH can only use a Blaster Pistol.

Quote: Originally Posted by TL_Roff View Post
SO it's not a sniper rifle, it's a blaster rifle.. but it's Mando, but bounty hunter characters can't use it. I bought cartel coins to get the doggone thing and now I have this blaster rifle that my bounty hunter cannot use.

I'm really rather irritated about this.

jedimasterjac
11.28.2020 , 04:43 PM | #28
A couple points:

1. Bounty Hunters still have flame thrower-based abilities.

2. Just because bounty hunters can use a variety of equipment does not mean that the Bounty Hunter class in SWTOR can use all equipment.

Xienive
11.28.2020 , 08:01 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by jedimasterjac View Post

I never made a claim that developers could easily remove weapon restrictions. I did say that it may be easier on certain classes, and that those are the ones that they should start with to see how it would go. I said Operatives could be adapted to pistols easily- meaning from an animation and ability standpoint having a rifle isn't an integral part of their skills in the same way that two sabers are for a sentinel.

It's fine if you don't get it, different people enjoy the game for different reasons. For a lot of us though, character customization is a big reason we enjoy it, and the type of weapon you can use is a big part of that.