Crew Skill Revamp

CommandoJedith

Since being a subscriber since the launch of SWTOR: I've been avidly trying to completely learn all of the schematics. Even after a year and a bottomless pit of credits wasted, I still haven't fully finished my first, Artifice. With so much effort put into it after all this time, I think that some upgrades should be done to the whole crew skill system.

A few changes I would make to the system:

1: There should be an upgrade in the legacy perks that allows for an upgraded success rate on learning a schematic from reverse engineering. Having only 20% for lower schematics and 10% for anything high is just ridiculous. The perks should make it, once fully unlocked, anything less than level 35 should be 50% chance to learn and anything about that is 30%. This change will make an afternoon of crafting more productive for everyone who wants to make their own items without making it near impossible to make that happen.

2.1: Having the schematics list put into more sub-menus would be more helpful in sorting through the list of items. I don't like having to scroll down the entire list to find the item I was last crafting.

2.2: Also, having a completion symbol next to a green schematic would be nice to let you know if you've gotten all of the blue and purple of that schematic branch.

2.3: Maybe even having a list of how many schematics you have out of the total available so you know if you are missing any. (i.e. # you have currently / # are available in the whole game)

3.1: Specifying what items you'll get from the crew missions. It's frustrating when you send a crew member out for opila crystals which you desperately need and get only bondar crystals instead, since they share the same crew missions. This is especially annoying for the special craft items that you can ONLY get from crew missions. Getting back items you no longer need is a waste of time and credits. :mad:

3.2: Having more crew skills available: It's hard to get the items you need when need when only one of the crew missions is available. Each type of crew missions ]i.e. crystals, artifact fragments, gemstones, and crafting missions (this is just artifice I'm mentioning, but this whole idea should apply to all of the others as well)] should have 3 crew missions active at once, so you can have 3 of your companions getting that one type of crafting item.

4: Currently, you can only send out as many companions as your first level number (1 for 10-19, 2 for 20-29, etc.) It should be changed that as soon as you get a new companion, the maximum is raised by one immediately.

Take all or take some of my ideas, but any improvement to the crew skills would ease the pain of crafting so those of us who take great pride in stuff we create can enjoy that more easily :D

I think you got 4 incorrect, as I do recall sending out five companions before reaching level 50. How much earlier than 50 escapes me, but just a little detail.

I do think that you're right, and it should be a lot easier. I recall someone suggesting an experience system instead of random RE to get new schematics, which would be even better, but anything that makes increasing crew skills easier would be appreciated.

I think you got 4 incorrect, as I do recall sending out five companions before reaching level 50. How much earlier than 50 escapes me, but just a little detail.

I do think that you're right, and it should be a lot easier. I recall someone suggesting an experience system instead of random RE to get new schematics, which would be even better, but anything that makes increasing crew skills easier would be appreciated.

I guess that may be true, Ekimmak. I just remember that when playing through Trooper story, I had my 5th companion and could still only send out 3, which annoyed me. That one isn't as huge as anything else I suggested though. More just a small nuisance

You can send out:

• 2 companions immediately. True, you might only have your first companion even prior to getting your ship and its ship droid, but if you have HK unlocked, you can send out both HK and your first companion from the start,
  • 3 companions at level 25,
  • 4 companions at level 41, and
  • 5 companions at level 48.

Yes, it would be nice to be able to send 6 at some point.

But if you have been following crew skills since launch or earlier (as in beta), you should know not to expect much of anything from BioWare when it comes to Crew Skills in general and crafting skills/reverse engineering in particular. There have been dozens of reasonable, implementable suggestions shared by many different people on these forums, and BioWare has ignored them all. From the little I've seen of 401+ crew skills, it's just SSDD.