Crew Skills needs improving

EagleRaale

So I've never quite grasped the reasoning behind wanting BiS gear for some other reason than to raid. Do dailies faster? Something else?

Raid with 7-6-5-4 people? Check.

Raid with undergeared/unskilled people to see sparks in their eyes? Check. (and, in fact, the situation I was right before 2.0 was put on the PTS... my goal was to show content to some guildies and try to have them getting better)

Attempt any kind of world-boss or non-raid group content in limited group size? Check.

Sick of this "Raid is the only end-game" mentality, especially considering there are really no "raids" in swtor, it's some 8/16-man instances with weekly locks... Compare that to dragons' raids in DAoC, where "progression" was actually being able to take them down with less people, allowing for more chance to win some shiny loots. How, just how could this game have had 200k+ subs for a 3-year period and SWTOR seems to not even have that 15 months past launch, while everyone and his grandma has at least ADSL? The answer isn't "WoW". The answer to the opposite question could somewhat be "WoW", though...

Edited by JMCH

Sick of this "Raid is the only end-game" mentality, especially considering there are really no "raids" in swtor, it's some 8/16-man instances with weekly locks...

Sounding a bit harsh, dude. I don't have the "Raid is the only end-game mentality" (Unless I misunderstood, and that comment wasn't directed at me.)

I was actually genuinely curious, which is why I asked.

Most of the examples you gave of things to do besides end-game operations are all group activities, not solo activities. Wouldn't that mean that you will already have the ability to obtain grade 72 gear?

I was actually genuinely curious, which is why I asked.

I saw that in your question to me. It was politely stated and well worth my best answer.

There is a new game about ready to go into beta that is based on a major single player title. I don't know if it will be any good or not, but there is a lot of interest in it. After SWTOR, my feeling has been to not believe any of the hype but to let a game launch and then take a close look at feedback and players opinion before I try it. One thing though has caught my eye and sparked some interest. The game will have no raiding at all. Rather there will be a progressively harder method of advancement at cap in which ad hoc grouping will be the rule and all benefis will be equally shared. There will be a path for solo players as well. I have great interest to see what will be done and how things will work.

Although some players do have a raid or die mentality (not saying that you do), clearly game designers and devs have no clue as to what to do with their games at cap and fall into the WOW practice of offering raidsand dungeons and little else. I have always found that interesting because the vast majority of players do not regularly raid.

I saw that in your question to me. It was politely stated and well worth my best answer.

There is a new game about ready to go into beta that is based on a major single player title. I don't know if it will be any good or not, but there is a lot of interest in it. After SWTOR, my feeling has been to not believe any of the hype but to let a game launch and then take a close look at feedback and players opinion before I try it. One thing though has caught my eye and sparked some interest. The game will have no raiding at all. Rather there will be a progressively harder method of advancement at cap in which ad hoc grouping will be the rule and all benefis will be equally shared. There will be a path for solo players as well. I have great interest to see what will be done and how things will work.

Although some players do have a raid or die mentality (not saying that you do), clearly game designers and devs have no clue as to what to do with their games at cap and fall into the WOW practice of offering raidsand dungeons and little else. I have always found that interesting because the vast majority of players do not regularly raid.

What new game are you referring to? Is it Neverwinter? When I last looked up Neverwinter, there was very little information about that game. Unless there's another game?

What new game are you referring to? Is it Neverwinter? When I last looked up Neverwinter, there was very little information about that game. Unless there's another game?

I believe he is talking about Elder Scrolls Online. I do not know if the devs will go nazi on me for writing that name out, or how harsh they are about listing other games as i do not regularly post, but meh whatever ill take the chance!

I believe he is talking about Elder Scrolls Online. I do not know if the devs will go nazi on me for writing that name out, or how harsh they are about listing other games as i do not regularly post, but meh whatever ill take the chance!

Although I often fail, I do try to stay within the forum rules and so did not mention TESO outright. Although that other game which I also will not mention (hint - mom spelled upside down) has a place on it's forum to discuss other games, such here is greatly discouraged. The places for information for other games would be their forums or general mmo forums that include multiple games.

I don't know if the game will be any good or worth playing in it's own right, but indeed they are trying to find a new and more inclusive approach to cap level play.

Yes, I agree. This game needs to rework the crafting system to ensure this game remains competitive against the other games out there. The low success rates for reverse engineering and the pitiful amounts gained from gathering missions on top of occasional failed missions that can occur few times in a row makes crafting extremely frustrating when ideally the game is meant to be enjoyable and a way to let off stress occurred from the real world. I do seriously hope the developers take this seriously and make the changes necessary in order to retain and draw in players, otherwise this will be a short lived game as there will be other games that provides what the players want within reasonable investments of our times on accomplishing a variety of game aspects. If Bioware wanted to have crafting in this game, then they need to live up to ensuring it works, otherwise if Bioware doesn't intend to do anything about crafting or allowing it to fade out, then Bioware needs to remove crafting completely, which will no doubt kill off maybe half of the player base as there are many players who enjoy crafting. I'm kinda disappointed that there has not been an official response from the community staff on this topic yet. Makes me wonder if they actually care about this particular topic or not.

I've been playing this game for almost a month now, and this game seems very interesting. The story lines is amazing and I enjoy them. However, I've spent more time working on my crew skills than I am playing the story line. Having to spend a few days every 4 levels is just insane. And it's a turn off when I'm constantly trying to gather. I'm the kind of player that loves to craft stuff that the game has to offer, especially to craft my own gears for me to use based on the level I'm at. but I'm extremely disappointed with how long it takes to gather materials to keep making the same stuff over to reverse engineer to get to the better stuff and having to repeat it based on the low research odds.

Now I'm level 25 and the odds of reverse engineering have even been made more difficult to where I've made over 40 of the same type of gun and reverse engineering with not even 1 successful new schematics. Comparing this game to the others I've played, craftings in this game is way too time consuming to the point that there's no point in grinding away in this game and I can just find another game worthy of my time, mind you though, I'm a subscriber, which tells you one thing that I'm a fair guy that likes to support the game developers. But not when I'm faced with this insane time sink that. I can understand when this would be something for the max level gears as it would seem likely for it, but not for a leveling character trying to make equipments he/she can use at their current level.

So, I'm seriously hoping that the developers would look into improving how the craftings are done while leveling up, so that it's actually enjoyable to craft our own stuff as we level up and not spend so much time working on our crew skills. After all, we'll be out leveling out gears every 4 levels. So, no reason why it shouldn't be a time sink in crew skills as we level up, especially when we pay to play the game to support it.

Afterall, this is a game that is declining in paying players and this might be part of the reason for people losing interests in this game.

I agree i thought since i maxed out on a skill i could always go back to it so i was wrong so its cool i only spent half my time CRAFTING!!!! i like the game but they slowed the game play down too much.

I've been a crafter in so many other games, and you actually crafted the items. You didn't send the crew personnel out to do it, then again you didn't have them anyways. What I dislike about this system is the time involved to craft one single item or the returns on missions if you do send a member out to harvest. The times are out of wack because I know I could craft these items so much faster if it was a more interactive ability, example stand at a modification table. And if you send a companion with 10k affection out and he spent a hour and fails, ouch that 2200 credits plus the time to say sorry but i failed, please don't kill me.

I've been a crafter in so many other games, and you actually crafted the items. You didn't send the crew personnel out to do it, then again you didn't have them anyways. What I dislike about this system is the time involved to craft one single item or the returns on missions if you do send a member out to harvest. The times are out of wack because I know I could craft these items so much faster if it was a more interactive ability, example stand at a modification table. And if you send a companion with 10k affection out and he spent a hour and fails, ouch that 2200 credits plus the time to say sorry but i failed, please don't kill me.

Yup, there's nothing more annoying but having the crew come back from a failed mission 2-3 times a row on top of the high demands of materials needed for reverse engineering. What makes it even more frustrating is that we're stuck with 1 or 2 companion doing these work, when we need these kinds of gears crafted so we can use to play the game. The way crafting is is set up is totally backwards, it's play the game then work on your crafting later for stuff you no longer need or can use anymore. It should be where you can craft the stuff you can use to level up with.

And now I've recently seen like 3 or 4 new threads about this sort of issue. Bioware, pay attention to these and make your response to address our concerns and needs.