Slicing will single handedly ruin the economy

Scrump

I am already at 275 slicing, and I can easily afford the speeder + training 2 times at level 17! Think of how easy it would be for gold farmers, all they have to do is spam lockboxes! I don't have a huge problem with making so much money, but I honestly feel without slicing a person is at an extreme disadvantage. I am the 1%

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am already at 275 slicing, and I can easily afford the speeder + training 2 times at level 17! Think of how easy it would be for gold farmers, all they have to do is spam lockboxes! I don't have a huge problem with making so much money, but I honestly feel without slicing a person is at an extreme disadvantage. I am the 1%

How do you make money by slicing?

Run a mission for a lockbox, open the lockbox, profit.

Lockboxes only contain credits.

at 275 slicing i can get upto 4k out of a box with only 1k spent at most.

Either you are incredibly lucky, or they have changed slicing since last beta weekend.

Back then when I sent my companions on missions that ranged from costing 200 - 600 they'd most likely return with +/- 50 credits and sometimes they'd even fail. Getting credits is still easy due to the nodes you can find.

I think that the way slicing is right now is on the bordeline to being balanced considering it doesn't give you all that much besides Credits and you'd be forced to give up crafting blues and higher unless you buy it from AH. The problem is that you GAIN money and lots of it while leveling Slicing and all other professions have to SPEND money.

In the higher levels of slicing missions you see returns of a few thousand credits. Those missions take your companions 30 minutes to complete. I don't see how that is going to single handedly ruin the economy when I can easily make double that by grinding in circles through heavy enemy areas.

I'm at work on a laptop that can hardly run the game clicking a button every 20 minutes. Think of how automatic this can become if people make bots to do it! It's essentially a craft where all of your crafts sell automatically!

I agree - gold farmers will bot the heck out of this skill. This skill is much worse than any other skills because it adds credits directly to the economy and will cause massive inflation if it is left as is. Having a completely risk free way to create credits out of thin air will be disastrous.

I don't know what to think of the economy yet. Yes, Slicing generates lots of cash. And Treasure Hunting yields tons of green items (as well as some blues and purple). But after getting them both to around 200, I respecced to Biochem.

The higher level Slicing quests do get you up to 2000 or so credits. Sometimes they bring in only 700 or even fail and net you nothing. But they cost 1000 credits to launch.

Treasure hunting gets you tons of greens, most of which you cannot use. I was getting a green for a mission that cost me 200 credits and sometimes I couldn't sell it for 250 (which covers the cost of the mission and the cost of putting it on trade). Many I sold at a loss to a vendor.

Don't get me wrong. I have plenty of cash. But there wasn't really anything worth using it on. And the ability to make purple stims, adrenals and medpacks more than offsets what I'm giving up in Treasure Hunting and Slicing.

Edited by Yozbick

Slicing is giving me some nice credits. I plan to keep it until I get my Armstech and scavenging up to the point I need the mission skill to craft items.

It's giving me an okay amount of credits my companions only fail 1/3 maybe 1/4 of the time and the boxes I find while doing quests more than makes up for that.

It's true and personally verified, ALL mission skills have been made much less of a money sink and slicing in particular is profitable.

I have slicing and treasure hunting and I'm finding that by sending companions only on lockbox missions...

Treasure Hunting mostly breaks even with a small profit or loss on each mission.

Slicing is guaranteed to bring back more credits than the mission cost.

This is great for players because previously it severely gimped you financially to level up a mission skill, sadly I forsee it being nerfed for the sake of the economy / credit sellers.

It's not nearly as bad as it was in the earlier builds. I have two level 11s and a level 16. My 16 is at 220 slicing ATM and I'm very comfortable creditwise. Slicing almost nets no real materials for crafting. It itself is a profession to make money. With the game being young, it seems crazy now but down the road, it's going to be completely worthless once the economy establishes itself.

Yup yup.

Take slicing to level and make sure you can afford all your speeders/upgrades etc.

Then hit 50 and use that money to respec and get some proper crafting skills. Atm my companion is full time slicing, come 50 I'll want to be farming proper mats or missions.

Nothing wrong with that ;)

Slicing seems OP now, but in a few months when purple mats go for 10k+ each, slicing will seem underpowered.

Look at it this way, the only thing slicing does is make money. The other mission and gathering skills actually goes and gets mats. Eventually those mats will be really valuable, once most people have established 50s and they want those mats to make things for their alts. This happens in every MMO.

Edited by Rossx

Slicing seems OP now, but in a few months when stacks of purple mats goes for 10k credits, slicing will seem underpowered.

Look at it this way, the only thing slicing does is make money. The other mission and gathering skills actually goes and gets mats. Eventually those mats will be really valuable, once most people have established 50s and they want those mats to make things for their alts. This happens in every MMO.

My point exactly.

In every MMO I've played, I've been very wealthy by playing the economy. I ended SWG with 750 million and WoW with 127k. I have an idea how these things work. Slicing isn't a problem yet and it most likely won't be. Especially once things are more stable.

My point exactly.

In every MMO I've played, I've been very wealthy by playing the economy. I ended SWG with 750 million and WoW with 127k. I have an idea how these things work. Slicing isn't a problem yet and it most likely won't be. Especially once things are more stable.

I have been wealthy in every MMO I have played too, just from going out and getting things that are in demand.

Trust me OP, slicing will be a joke in a few months.

Ok lets say, you're 400 slicing, and you make 1200 credits every 30 minutes.

that's 2400 credits an hour, and if you play for 4 hours... hey you have 9600 credits for about 16 seconds worth of work total.

It is totally outrageous. Everyone that says, "I can make more money farming." Sure, but so is that guy making more AND doing slicing. It's the effort to money income. It's like a pyramid scheme that went right.

No effort in, huge income of credits.

They need to knock it down, or get rid of the lockboxes and make them do things like ... data information that gives you rep or social points or something like that... maybe 10 credits.

that's 2400 credits an hour, and if you play for 4 hours... hey you have 9600 credits for about 16 seconds worth of work total.

It is totally outrageous. Everyone that says, "I can make more money farming." Sure, but so is that guy making more AND doing slicing. It's the effort to money income. It's like a pyramid scheme that went right.

They need to knock it down, or get rid of the lockboxes and make them do things like ... data information that gives you rep or social points or something like that... maybe 10 credits.

You assume 10,000 credits is of any significant amount of credits.

I am going to guess 10,000 credits will buy you pretty much, I have nearly 1,000 credits at level 6, well on my way to that amount before level 20.

You assume 10,000 credits is of any significant amount of credits.

I am going to guess 10,000 credits will buy you pretty much, I have nearly 1,000 credits at level 6, well on my way to that amount before level 20.

You assume that I assume you didn't read the entire post... which I assume is correct.

I have 20k credits and I'm only 17, plus I've bought lots of stuff... yes you can make money without doing Slicing, I'm not saying that at all.

What I said was, the work to the money you make, will definitely make it so that people will have exorbitant amounts of money to spend on things, and it will inflate prices and what not, and it will end up being SWG all over again as far as prices of items.

I'm willing to bet that the returns on materials at level 50 will be way more than this. Just saying. Slicing is great right now because the economy is unstable. You can't use the economy now as an indication of where things will be even 3 months from now.

honestly it depends on how much you can make from slicing per hour at 50. In your example of 4 hours of spending your companion doing something. 16 seconds of your time and just clicking a button. Then you turn the credits into a more WoW look. 1 credit = 1 copper. Which it basically is cuz you pick it up by the 10s from level 1. Meaning 10,000 credits is 1 gold. at cap in WoW I think you can kill something and loot it for 1 gold within 16 seconds. And then who's to say you can't send a companion on a mission at and sell the mats for more.

Either way I think this thread is giving more credit to what a single credit is worth. I don't have slicing and I've made enough to buy my speeder + skill 2x over. If other crew skills are complaining on their worth it's because you're leveling it to to level not for profit currently I'm sure. So I'll make an item and either give it to a friend or disassemble it losing basically all that it was worth, and the missions/gathering my crew cost me to gather.

I'm willing to bet that the returns on materials at level 50 will be way more than this. Just saying. Slicing is great right now because the economy is unstable. You can't use the economy now as an indication of where things will be even 3 months from now.

He is correct. Short term, go for it and capitalize, but don't fall in love because you will need to move on to something else.

I foresee mass inflation soon... really soon. I've played WoW for years and I've seen this kind of thing before. A solid 3 months is needed for the economy to start to level out, but things are going to change really fast and really soon.

NO! Bioware being utterly stupid enough to remove the GTN off of every planet expect for coruscant/DK and the fleets will ruin the economy. Do you have any idea how much repair bills will be at 50? Even if you aren't a raider, you can understand if I tell you on learning nights you will go through anywhere from 300-600k in repair bills...a night.

I took slicing for the augments. With cybertech I can fill a lot of slots.

I'm up to 300 slicing since I brought my laptop into work and sent my minions off on slicing missions throughout the day. I think I've made roughly 20k credit profit doing this for 8 hours. It's good, and it's nice I can do that. I think it only seems ground breaking because I'm running missions in the 43-48 range. Slicing missions my level don't make nearly that profit. It's roughly 100 credits profit for a 10 minute mission. Nothing.

You're comparing things out of level. I'm sure it's more than fair at high levels for its profitability.

Slicing is fine the way it is. To be at 200+ at level 17, I wonder if you were doing ANYTHING else.

I'm lvl 17 BH and just hit 75, and I have been paying attention to slice opportunities, but have not farming. I'm just hitting boxes when I see them.

I'd say any stealth class, has the chance to sneak up and slice turrets, robots, otherwise your looking for boxes, safes, lockers.

Slicing is fine.