Overclocking my CPU from 3.9GHZ to 4.2GHZ made the difference! But CPU gets hot...

Songano

Wow, someone wrote that SWTOR somehow runs much faster if youre overclocking your CPU to 4.2GHZ. The jump from 3.2GHZ to 3.9GHZ for example isnt that huge, but from 3.9GHZ to 4.2GHZ it is tremendous. Im still not getting 60FPS in Warzones, but like 45-50FPS in heavy battles! Even with ultra settings! Even on the fleet my frames dont drop below 60FPS. This game looks so beautiful with ultra details and vsync on.

But on to my question. I overclocked my CPU to 4.2GHZ. In huge battles the temp will reach 90 celsius (190 fahrenheit!?) which is way to high. Its not being throttled at that temperatures, but the game started crashing to desktop.

Im using a cooler master silentio 650 tower and i am planning on buying a water cooler. Will that lower the CPU temp?

Right now im using a i5 3570k CPU with an Mach HR-02 cooler and i am planning on getting a Arctic Liquid Freezer 240. Anyone know if it does fit?

Songano

Halinalle is correct. Never set Vcore to auto. Heat output scales with frequency BUT a lot more with Vcore.

The Macho should be able to deal with a correctly OCed 3570, at least for 4.2

I am a little surprised that 3.9 to 4.2 makes such a difference for you.

You need to check all your OC settings again. Lot of good info concerning OC for 3570 on youtube.

Your thermal paste is fresh?

Edited by mike_is_valid

Thank you so much guys. Today i bought a liquid metal paste and put it on the CPU. As is said, i had like 80-90°C in heavy battles...now my CPU iss pretty "cold" @ 50-60°C :D

It is not stable yet (get a lot of CTDs and hardfreezes), but i will figure that out.

Good to hear! Just be careful with that liquid metal stuff. If you are using what I think you are using, it's electrically conductive. So just don't get it on your motherboard. :eek:

This might help you with your Ivy bridge overclocking: http://www.overclock.net/t/1247413/ivy-bridge-overclocking-guide-with-ln2-guide-at-the-end

Here's another: http://www.overclock.net/t/1291703/ivy-bridge-overclocking-guide-asus-motherboards

Good luck!