Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Update on Nightmare Loot Changes

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Update on Nightmare Loot Changes
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

drummerinthesun
01.25.2016 , 04:09 PM | #21
How hard would it be to change the drops to all 224 loot? Really BW? The decision making process that we are seeing are reminiscent of shooting yourself in the foot, deciding that was actually a bad idea, chopping the foot off because your foot is useless now anyways, deciding THAT sucks, and then making yourself a half-assed prosthetic foot that almost works as well as an original foot. WHO IS MAKING THESE DECISIONS?! Fire that person, or stick to your guns. This wishy-washy BS is really getting old. Why do you need player feedback to tell you that your decisions suck?
Darkness Assassin - Cai'us, The Shadowlands
Vengeance Juggernaut- Ca'ius, The Shadowlands
Pandamonium

Jerba
01.25.2016 , 04:12 PM | #22
Great to hear! This will certainly be a big motivation for my group when running nightmare mode. Not that we will really need any more 224 gear by the time 4.2 comes around, but at least we won't feel punished for running more difficult content, and there are always alts to equip.

Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
The reason that we did not make it this way initially is we had concerns about players ability to gain best in slot gear extremely quickly.
This should have been included in your first post about nightmare loot for some damage control. I like this sentence because it shows that you base your decisions on reasons and not arbitrariness.

But I'm wondering why you will not admit a mistake, because I saw no apology in this post. E.g. something like "We didn't take into account that players would farm highlighted HMs on multiple toons and send it to the main via legacy gear" or "We didn't expect players to 4-man a HM boss" would have worked as an apology.
Instead, I'm worried that the developers have not really understood why this is such a huge issue to some players, and if we will get similar decisions again in the future. If you really want to earn back the trust of the endgame players, such an apology would be a good start, along with explaining why you added EV and KP to the list of Priority Targets. For now, I am still not convinced that BioWare is committed to pleasing the raiding community.

Follow up question, will nightmare drop both 220 and 224 gear (like Highlighted HM), or only 224? And will there be any MK-2 pieces with 224 gear? Tanks want to get their lettered mods.
Also, can we expect that loot bugs will be fixed in a timely manner going forward? There's nothing worse than killing a boss only for the loot to be bugged. It seems like Customer Service will no longer help out when loot is bugged (they didn't grant us the loot for Dread Council HM during Priority Target), so we have to rely on the devs to have the bug fixed the next time we kill the boss.
Scoundrel healer. Raid leader. Guild officer @ Tulak Hord

Trimexxx
01.25.2016 , 04:13 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Hey folks,

Recently, we announced that starting in Game Update 4.1, only the final boss in each Nightmare Operation would have a 100% chance to drop 224 gear. The dev team has been very actively following all of the feedback that you in the community have been posting regarding this change. With that in mind, they are making one additional change… Starting in Game Update 4.2 all bosses in Nightmare Operations will drop 224 rating gear.

We saw a lot of feedback over the past few weeks where many of you felt strongly that Nightmare should be a guaranteed source for the best gear, even if that means the priority HM was equivalent. The reason that we did not make it this way initially is we had concerns about players ability to gain best in slot gear extremely quickly. However, if a group of players is skilled enough to run through multiple Nightmare Operations in a single week, we should reward that appropriately.

Again, just to remind you of the current timeline for these changes:
  • Game Update 4.1 (Chapter X) – The final boss of each NiM Operation is guaranteed to drop 224. All other NiM bosses have a chance for 224.
  • Game Update 4.2 (Chapter XI) – All bosses in each NiM Operations are guaranteed to drop 224.
The only reason we are not making all changes for 4.1 is the development time required to implement and test these changes. We want to make sure we get these changes implemented and working properly, and unfortunately we cannot complete all of this in time for 4.1.

Thanks everyone for your continued feedback.

-eric

Thank you.

Excise
01.25.2016 , 04:26 PM | #24
Good call, I think. I understand the concern behind not wanting to let folks completely gear out with BiS items in one week, though.
[[The real Revan wouldn't go crazy and kill the Emperor with an insane ceremony. The real Revan would get smashed on stims until his eyeballs bled, abuse the insane pathing AI, and reload the instant something went wrong. He would be unstoppable.]]

FellBen
01.25.2016 , 04:27 PM | #25
Great news but if you worrying about people gearing to early with BIS stuff.....too late. I don't think HM ops should have ever dropped 224 gear to begin with. Why would you award the highest level gear tier to players that have only done middle tier content? It makes no sense from a progression stand point. The idea is you get the best rewards from completing the hardest content. EV/KP HM is not the hardest content BY FAR and for a competent raid team even in some 208/216 gear is still easy enough. And the fact you get bolth 220 AND 224 gear to drop, that's 8 pieces of token gear 4/224 peaces and 4/220 pieces. that's means if you run it 4 times, depending on your teams loot rules, 4 people are walking out of the raid with a 4 piece 224 set and 4 people with a 220 piece set. How can you say that you are worried about people getting BIS gear when on a random Saturday you could have the above happen? 1 day and almost full BIS for 4 people, and you don't want people gearing to fast? 224 gear should ONLY drop in NiM modes as a reward for completing the hardest content period.

Divana
01.25.2016 , 04:59 PM | #26
Better late than never. Thank you for making this change.

Personally, I would like to have seen this at the start with the highlighted op dropping 2 pieces of gear, but only having a "chance" at one of those pieces being a 224. I suspect there would be a lot less fully geared people running around today, and much more motivation to play NiM.
Nalia
FAILURE

http://www.swtor.com/r/GfTtVR<<<----Referral link

DisIzMe
01.25.2016 , 05:02 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Excise View Post
Good call, I think. I understand the concern behind not wanting to let folks completely gear out with BiS items in one week, though.
That concern could be understood if there was no highlighted HM operation concept. People WERE geared up in one week of EV HM farming on alts.

ReyCielo
01.25.2016 , 05:13 PM | #28
Far to late and simply not enough. Everyone I know for the most part has left. That one day, that one post, drove 75% of my friendlist raiders away.

lironBD
01.25.2016 , 05:13 PM | #29
only reason they won't change it now is to make everyone stay subbed for another month.
Europe -> Darth Malgus
Oracans-> Sith Pureblood Inquisitor Sorcerer

http://www.swtor.com/r/NP7bNn \ Buddy invite

Kurin
01.25.2016 , 05:21 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by AMightyKnight View Post
I dont want to go into details here but i'm sure you are aware how to manage the lockouts in EV/KP for maximum efficiency.
For the record, Eric does know how the lockouts are "managed" in EV/KP. I clued him in to how its done back in December, as I felt it was an exploit. Eric agreed with me that it is an exploit. I had hoped it would be fixed by now, but alas...my hopes are rarely fulfilled.
<insert lots of characters here>- The Harbinger - Invictus guild.