takes place 3000 years BEFORE Star Wars?

jeepoverland

................what then? For 3000 years nobody could come up with better/different technology? I'm to expect the ships basically all look the same 3000 years before star wars? C2N2 is C3PO's great great great great great great great great uncle? Looks like they could be brothers.

Just sayin'

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a firm believer, that if the universe ever reached the level of technology that is portrayed in the game, there would be a plateau. And in the case of the game and the way the storylines work, 3000 years isn't that long of a time frame.

Yes, I realize Earth's technology has changed DRASTICALLY over the past 3000 years, but we are one planet. With a universe, I do think it would slow way down at some point.

Yes. People will come out with excuses like TECHNOLOGICAL PINNACLES or what ever, but the main reason will be that Lucas will have told them to do it this way, and it doesnt make much sense, they just wanted people to be able to relate to the movies. i.e baddies shoot green and fly TIE fighters, goodies shoot red, star destroyers, gold droids, R2 units etc.

Edit : Beaten to it.

Things dont stay in fashion for 3000 years.

Edited by eloco

FTL travel has been the Star Wars history for 40,000 + years with the earliest ships being force powered FTL drives. The first Republic space farer are as old as 20,000 - 10,000 years. Technology in the Star Wars universe is a bit like the technology of the 20th century and possibly the 21st century. We have reached a plateau and we may sit in it for awhile yet.

not a fan i quess...

its another universe... and many things have different styles where it looks a lot older than in the movies. especially when playing kotor.

game is perfect. deal with it.

Im a fan for now....I have 2 lvl 35+ characters and 2 more 15+

But to say the game is "perfect".....you really exposed yourself there. Even the people who created this game wouldn't say that....put the Kool-aid down and learn to think objectively.

FTL travel has been the Star Wars history for 40,000 + years with the earliest ships being force powered FTL drives. The first Republic space farer are as old as 20,000 - 10,000 years. Technology in the Star Wars universe is a bit like the technology of the 20th century and possibly the 21st century. We have reached a plateau and we may sit in it for awhile yet.

Thanks for that, Im not too keen on the outside the movie lore of Star Wars. That helps build a context.

................what then? For 3000 years nobody could come up with better/different technology? I'm to expect the ships basically all look the same 3000 years before star wars? C2N2 is C3PO's great great great great great great great great uncle? Looks like they could be brothers.

Just sayin'

This lore has been around long before this game. Where have you been? :rolleyes:

Just sayin'

C3PO is an outdated model during the original saga. just saying. C3P0 was not built with other C3 units if you read the books you would know that he just looks like a C3.

also upgrades in turbolaser batteries and hyperdrives would be hard to show. but complain about anything I guess.

Just sayin'

You are not alone on this. I found it amusing as well. You can shoehron in whatever lore story you want, but it really does come down to keeping things familiar to the IP.

I'd read somewhere this was brought up, and the idea is that, because of the constant wars, technology sorta plateaued and never got amazingly better. Just small incremental improvements.

Kinda hard to improve when there is an enemy who will constantly kidnap/kill your best scientists.

Things dont stay in fashion for 3000 years.

Whoa, they don't? Damn breathing is so out of fashion, as is the wheel. And tools in general. Awwwww no way, we're going to have to start driving hovercrafts now.

But in anycase it's fairly common that in fictional universes there is a stagnation of technology. I mean in a lot of them infact there is a decline in technology from an earlier "golden age" as there is in the Star Wars universe, the Infinite Empire anyone? Revan using the Starforge? Things go in cycles, it's just the way it is.

When you look at the entire SW universe as a whole (movies and EU), there is indeed an undercurrent of stagnation, both technological and cultural. It's not just because of the 3000-year timescale. It's implied here and there (though rarely elaborated upon) that the whole civilization has stagnated for whatever reason (whether you consider it a "pinnacle", or "plateau", or whatever, that's up for debate...)

Just sayin'

Quite literally not the droids you are looking for.

It's really not the inconceivable.

Even in Earth's own history, pre-17th century there was really about 3000 years of technological stagnation. Technology improved by only marginally so.

And it's implied in the Star Wars universe that much of the technology used is lost over time only to be rediscovered, making technology have a very cyclical effect.

Edited by GeoLager

When you look at the entire SW universe as a whole (movies and EU), there is indeed an undercurrent of stagnation, both technological and cultural. It's not just because of the 3000-year timescale. It's implied here and there (though rarely elaborated upon) that the whole civilization has stagnated for whatever reason (whether you consider it a "pinnacle", or "plateau", or whatever, that's up for debate...)

Maybe it's Lucas's jab at Earth's society.....Here on Real Life earth, we'll probably never inhabit another planet so long as all our money goes to killing each other.

Since I started watching the movies again it seems like Lucas has several prophetic societal messages.

Star wars Technology has always been backwards. Episode 1-3, the technology was really cool with spinning ships, dual light saber wielding ninjas, and flashing moving billboards... Episode 4-6, commodore 64 graphics, blocky ships, and 1970's flashy futuristic lights.

Sure the republic fell, but not the empire. By episode 6 they should at least have beaming-up star trek technology right?! Nah the pinnacle of there technology was an easy destroyable over sized "death star." 3,000 years earlier they were destroying planets left and right (so far I have encountered at least 2 conversations of planets being destroyed in SWTOR)

My thoughts, Star wars takes place "a long time ago in a galaxy....." They reached the pinnacle of there evolution and technology 3,000 years ago and its been steadily going backwards since... By 2012 the starwars universe is probably inhabited by bacteria and hutt slugs.

That's crazy talk. We've in no way plateaued.

40 years ago we had an active space program and were launching the most powerful rockets ever built into space on a regular basis. Now we hitch rides smaller rockets operated by countrys which supposedly lost the "space race".

Our space program has definitely degraded in just the past few decades. Who is to say what it will look like 1000 years from now? Funny how things work out isnt it?