Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Companions - There HAS to be a better way than this to get them talking again

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Companions - There HAS to be a better way than this to get them talking again

OlBuzzard
07.20.2019 , 03:34 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by rumpol View Post
Have you got a source for he was never meant to die? Fact is, he did die, Bringing him back is not "righting a wrong". It is simply lazy. He should have stayed dead.
In a way I agree... In a way I don't

IMO ... it's ... well it's Star Wars. Bringing something to life (more or less) after death. It's not a novel concept..

Heck.. they did the same thing on B-5 YEARS ago....

As far as the whole good/bad thing goes... we could debate that from now until they turn the lights out on SWTOR and it would never be conclusive.

Me ... I'm more or less somewhat dispassionate with the "back from the dead" Darth Malgus. Could be better .. could be a lot worse !
(████████████████████████████]:|█[ioi]█[|||████]|█|

OlBuzzard
07.20.2019 , 03:36 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by xordevoreaux View Post
Me: So, Iresso. Long time no see.
Iresso: ...
Me: Something wrong?
Me: Are you still down because of that whole computer-in-your-brain thing or whatever? That was ages ago.
Me: Can't you hold a normal conversation like everyone else? What's wrong, light saber got your tongue?
Me: Fine. [Whips out holocommunicator] Hey Scorpio?
Scorpio: [appears on holocommunicator] You are interrupting my re-integration with Iokath. This had better be important.
Me: You can get back to that later. Right now, report to the hangar bay on Odessen, and bring your...toys. I need you to get Iresso talking.
Scorpio: Not worthwhile, but may prove interesting nonetheless. On my way. [cuts off holocommunicator]
Iresso: I'm talking! I'm talking! See? All talk! I can talk! Yadda yadda! TALKING!
[/animated ROFL emote]

Nicely done !

[Hmmm what happens if we juice "Iresso" with 220v ??? ]

ceryxp
07.20.2019 , 04:34 PM | #23
Keith has been around for about two years, and one of the biggest changes they've done recently under his leadership, the DYN system update in April, while completely behind-the-scenes work, will have a large impact on their ability to produce new content going forward.
--------------------------------------------------
Click the link. You know you wanna. You'll get free stuff. - http://www.swtor.com/r/W9ZqZj

RameiArashi
07.20.2019 , 05:03 PM | #24
I have a suggestion. Give all level 70 characters a quest which says,""Running the Alliance has exhausted you. Go to your starship and take a nap". You click on your bed in your ship. Cutscene of you laying down. Screen goes blank. Next scene: your character wakes up screaming. Your companions come running to make sure you are not being murdered.. You realize you just woke up from a nightmare.

Nothing from Shadow of Revan onward actually happened.

Rolodome
07.20.2019 , 05:13 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by RameiArashi View Post
I have a suggestion. Give all level 70 characters a quest which says,""Running the Alliance has exhausted you. Go to your starship and take a nap". You click on your bed in your ship. Cutscene of you laying down. Screen goes blank. Next scene: your character wakes up screaming. Your companions come running to make sure you are not being murdered.. You realize you just woke up from a nightmare.

Lmao.
Clicky referral link for freebies, read how referral works.

ZionHalcyon
07.20.2019 , 07:04 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by rumpol View Post
Have you got a source for he was never meant to die? Fact is, he did die, Bringing him back is not "righting a wrong". It is simply lazy. He should have stayed dead.
You'll have to look for it yourself but it was an interview with the original Developers.

He wasn't meant to die.

They changed the False Emperor mechanic because of a glitch.

It was a wrong righted.

OlBuzzard
07.20.2019 , 07:05 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by RameiArashi View Post

Bob Newhart show !

I remember that !

[/animated emote ROFL]

Very nice !

Damask_Rose
07.20.2019 , 08:06 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by ZionHalcyon View Post
So, there are 3 reasons I have faith in Keith, from a story perspective.
  1. Majority of fans hated Zakuul and wanted to get back to Imp vs Rep. We're getting Onslaught.
  2. Darth Malgus was never meant to die in the original False Emperor. The original dev team stated they always intended to bring him back (before EA fired or ran off all the Class Story advocate devs), and Malgus was brought back under Keith's direction, righting a wrong.

But from a story standpoint, I am seeing things that lead me to believe this game is going in the right direction. They may integrate class story into the main one (which is fine - better than nothing), but it would be good to use companions to define your characters further through your adventures with them, as per vanilla.

That said, I fully support a pass to fix companions. I love the environmental dialogue, and miss it.
1. I don't think we can authoritatively say the "Majority of fans hated Zakuul and wanted to get back to Imp vs Rep". Some people loved it and the rest disliked it for many reasons, only one of which was the desire to get back to Imp vs. Rep. conflict. I, for one, couldn't care less if the the story is 3rd faction or Imp vs Rep as long as it is a good story that flows from older content. Which is wasn't and it didn't.

Keith was promoted when Iokath launched, so the 3 story flashpoints and all of the 2 minute wonder reunions were under his watch. None of that was good story content. Bits and pieces are good, but not the sum total. JUS was too short to know if it was a step in the right direction. There were too many flaws with it that may or may not be eliminated with Oslaught.

In short, with the little bit of story we've gotten since he was in charge, none of it has led me to believe he is going to tighten the ship on the retconning and the continuity errors and the over-dependence on hand-waving and suspension of disbelief. I see nothing that shows he understands the importance of our old companions, let alone has enough awareness to keep their personalities consistent with vanilla. And while moving back to the old conflict might be a good move, the handling of it so far has been flat out bad.

2. I'm indifferent to Malgus being brought back. It would have been a more interesting plot twist if they hadn't already brought back Revan and then Vitiate. Now it seems more like bankrupt creativity than any attempt to return the story to it's roots. They might have great, interesting plans for him in Onslaugh, but that is mere speculation at this point. I think if Kieth cared to do right by the original story he wouldn't have killed off most of the remaining interesting vanilla NPCs with a flick of the wrist in Nathema. That scene felt like they were just trying to kill off our interest in the past while claiming it was a nod to it.

3. Since I don't know what 3 was supposed to be, I can't say if it would give me the same optimism it gave you. I read all of the Reddit posts and haven't seen any giving leaks about future story, let alone any mention of them bringing more class elements into the story.

MikeCobalt
07.20.2019 , 08:09 PM | #29
Malgus does have a Big Following here most likely the biggest in the game so I'm sure that's the main reason BW is bringing him back. Simply "Click Bait" same as the Movie's, TV shows and Music. Overall I do like Malgus being back and I'll bet his return has already sparked others to think better of Onslaught and possibly some to come back. I *Have read about the tech problems with the "Malgus over the edge" issues off and on over the years so his "Return" I would go along with, its Just "After" such a long time and especially now it really seems Disconnected to his past, a Lure to draw many back and out of range to a game that's completely shifted away (Zakuul) from its beginning and now is trying to "Fit Back In".

I *Certainly *Hope they don't Ruin Malgus's character with this and looking at other characters I cant say I have alot of Faith, just a Truckload of Hope. Taking orders from Malgus (servant) would spark alot of what many here have said they *Didn't want (Lessening of Character) in Joining the factions and having Malgus "Follow Us" would deeply Reduce Malgus considering his image at the beginning and still now (Mostly). The game mechanics would still be the same its just a matter of Wording, Semantics. Discussing Op's one on one is good, the Admin giving Choices we choose which we do (Aric/Kaylio Decision CH 12) That is Equal to.. and Commanders Do. Make. Decisions.
Using terms like "We'll Both Go" sounds much better then "You Follow me" or "You will go to" (either direction, its an Insult to character).
Don't give orders, Give Options.

Also as Big a name as Malgus has he still should NOT over shadow our Companions. Whether they openly protest, agree with or simply text "Highly Agree's with" or "Greatly Disagree's with" their Input Should be a part of the story This is "BioWare" and "SWTOR" afterall. Some Vanilla Companions *May be more suited to one mission over the others (Cheaper for BW and better then running with some cardboard whoever) plus it does get our comps started back live again in the game. Over the course of missions it would be each of the five Vanilla companions gets their turn.

OlBuzzard
07.20.2019 , 10:11 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Damask_Rose View Post
1. I don't think we can authoritatively say the "Majority of fans hated Zakuul and wanted to get back to Imp vs Rep". Some people loved it and the rest disliked it for many reasons, only one of which was the desire to get back to Imp vs. Rep. conflict. I, for one, couldn't care less if the the story is 3rd faction or Imp vs Rep as long as it is a good story that flows from older content. Which is wasn't and it didn't.

Keith was promoted when Iokath launched, so the 3 story flashpoints and all of the 2 minute wonder reunions were under his watch. None of that was good story content. Bits and pieces are good, but not the sum total. JUS was too short to know if it was a step in the right direction. There were too many flaws with it that may or may not be eliminated with Oslaught.

In short, with the little bit of story we've gotten since he was in charge, none of it has led me to believe he is going to tighten the ship on the retconning and the continuity errors and the over-dependence on hand-waving and suspension of disbelief. I see nothing that shows he understands the importance of our old companions, let alone has enough awareness to keep their personalities consistent with vanilla. And while moving back to the old conflict might be a good move, the handling of it so far has been flat out bad.

2. I'm indifferent to Malgus being brought back. It would have been a more interesting plot twist if they hadn't already brought back Revan and then Vitiate. Now it seems more like bankrupt creativity than any attempt to return the story to it's roots. They might have great, interesting plans for him in Onslaugh, but that is mere speculation at this point. I think if Kieth cared to do right by the original story he wouldn't have killed off most of the remaining interesting vanilla NPCs with a flick of the wrist in Nathema. That scene felt like they were just trying to kill off our interest in the past while claiming it was a nod to it.

3. Since I don't know what 3 was supposed to be, I can't say if it would give me the same optimism it gave you. I read all of the Reddit posts and haven't seen any giving leaks about future story, let alone any mention of them bringing more class elements into the story.
IMO... there are elements of this that are very accurate ... but then comes to some conclusions that are still somewhat up for grabs.

1. You are right about some people liking KotFE / ET and some disliked it. And I also agree that it is getting back to Rep vs Empire is a good idea but could also be seen as a matter of opinion.

JUS was at least a good step in the right direction. How effective it was is also a matter of opinion to a degree. There were some good points. But the devs absolutely by passed an opportunity to begin demonstrating exactly what OP is looking for: more interaction with companions. But instead of a good opportunity for better companion interaction we received a few cut scenes and a couple of brief reunions.

It should be noted that the brief reunions were already present on Iokath. IMO the reunion between the trooper and Elara Dorne was pitiful ... assuming that the u-tube play back of that is accurate.

More to the point: was that reunion already in the works ? I'm not trying to be overly critical but the "short reunions" have become a matter of concern. And since those reunions (as short as they were) ... ZIPPO ... nothing !

One good piece that was released: Hearts and Minds . IMO that was well done

To that end OP seems to be indicating that what we once had needs to be returned.. ( and I think expanded even further)..

2. As for Malgus.. Hey ... it's Star Wars. No biggie either way. It still fits. Some will like it ... some wont. IMO... it's cool either way !

3. The idea of optimism with the new director .. we will see soon enough. I have no intention of pilling the wood up until I see what shakes out with the launch of 6.0 That said... If there are any plans already slated to release some more good teaser stuff like Hearts and Minds... that would be a good idea.