[Q] Keep set bonus or upgrade?

Lothtia

Since I leveled to 55, I've been holding off upgrading my gear with the new drops in the expansion, only upgrading the mods and enhancements so far.. What is of concern for me though, as a tank-assin Is it worth keeping the set bonus (61's) or upgrading to the 63/69's ones without the bonus? (was gone from game awhile)

obv. more armor rating!

Obviously not . Why is it that so many people don't even look at any numbers

So I test my gear with the old dread guard (63) armorings with set bonus and have 5863 armor and 33.52% K/E damage reduction.

Swap 2 items for 69 armoring(which is 2 gear tiers above it) without set bonus and have 6026 armor and 32.09% damage reduction.

So that more armor translated into less damage reduction.

So there we have it. In order to gain 0.57% damage reduction from armor you would suggest me to drop 2% damage reduction? The total damage reduction does not increase when doing this. It decreases by 1.43%.

Now, you could maybe, just maybe, justify the loss of 4-piece set bonus by the higher endurance and willpower, but not by the armor rating. The higher armor rating is useless since it gives less than the set bonus.

Edited by Eternalnight

Just wondering. How is it for DPS? I`m deception and I currently have the old 4 set bonus (61). 15 % on vs seem really nice, but then again, 69 armorings would give me a lot more willpower + some more armor. I mean, it should be worth it... I think I will give up the set bonus as soon as I have 4 69 armorings. Or am I wrong? :rak_02:

BTW: How exactly does the set bonus work? 20% crit + 15% on vs = 35 % crit chance on vs?

Or 20% crit + 15% = 23% crit on vs. I was always under the impression it must be version 1, but not 100% sure ^^

Obviously not . Why is it that so many people don't even look at any numbers

So I test my gear with the old dread guard (63) armorings with set bonus and have 5863 armor and 33.52% K/E damage reduction.

Swap 2 items for 69 armoring(which is 2 gear tiers above it) without set bonus and have 6026 armor and 32.09% damage reduction.

So that more armor translated into less damage reduction.

So there we have it. In order to gain 0.57% damage reduction from armor you would suggest me to drop 2% damage reduction? The total damage reduction does not increase when doing this. It decreases by 1.43%.

Now, you could maybe, just maybe, justify the loss of 4-piece set bonus by the higher endurance and willpower, but not by the armor rating. The higher armor rating is useless since it gives less than the set bonus.

THIS!

and it's not only the armoring value, the 4 piece bonus gives you an overall 2% dmg-reduction on all types of damage :)

thats why i'll keep my setbonus and change only mods, enhancements and augments.

• 2 weeks later...
THIS!

and it's not only the armoring value, the 4 piece bonus gives you an overall 2% dmg-reduction on all types of damage :)

thats why i'll keep my setbonus and change only mods, enhancements and augments.

This makes sense on Shadow tanks.... but what about guardian tanks? Our set bonus is different.

Depends on the set bonus. Some you really need to keep while others don't really matter.

Some set bonuses for dps gear only help with energy, so if that's not an issue with you in the first place, the extra primary stat will probably be better then keeping the set bonus.

For tanks, a heavy armor user will lose about 100 armor rating per piece between 61 and 69 gear. 400 for the 4 piece set bonus will be about 1% less Damage reduction.

Calculation if you care:

Damage Reduction = ArmorRating / ( ArmorRating + 240 * Level + 800 ) * 100

I don't have the math on this, but it looks like all 3 tank types will easily benefit more from their 4 piece set bonus that getting that extra 1% damage reduction.

EDIT: I thought I was in the tank area of the forums but looks like I was in the Assassin area when I first responded. Anyways, for assassin dps, you are comparing 52 willpower from 61 to 69 for the 15% crit chance on thrash and voltaic thrash, so set bonus seems worth it. For assassin tanks, same as what I said above still holds true.

Edited by BoboHut
noticed section of forum