Upcoming Guild Conquest Updates

DavidStaats

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have never ever ever understood the dev's tendency to favor bad actors over the best interests of groups that have to put up with those bad actors.

A complaint I've had *since game update 1.3 back in 2012* is that we, players in a group who are forced to drop group -- because everyone knows dropping gets you punished and getting kicked does not and thus bad actors refuse to drop in order to get kicked and NOT get punished with a group finder lockout -- are punished with a group finder lockout. It makes no sense: by and large if someone is getting kicked it's because THEY'RE the bad actor, NOT the rest of the group. Yes, of course there are outliers, (though I also include among bad actors people who queue for MM ops without being 75/306 at the very least if not being proficient in their chosen specialization, but for the sake of this discussion I won't include them), but for the vast majority of kicks, the kick is for good reason. However, the devs instead decided to punish people who drop group -- almost never does someone drop group without good reason, and ultimately it's because they were grouped with one or more people they do not want to be in a group with anymore. At the very least, you should have a 1-2 minute grace period to perform a block on a group member, with the presumptive reason for the drop being that you dropped group because of harassment, bad behavior etc. So people generally don't drop group without a very good reason. But the devs, just as demonstrated with these guild conquest updates, favor the bad people over people with good intentions and good reasons for the choices they made.

How does this apply to guild conquest changes: devs are punishing guilds for removing people from the guild -- again, by and large something done for very good reasons -- and conversely rewarding guilds and screwing over players who quit guilds for, again, very likely good reasons. Examples: a guild has to remove a player for bad behavior, but up to the point of removing them they put up with the bad behavior until it crossed into the intolerable. The guild, having kept them around as long as they could, is then punished by the devs for...what? having ever put up with the bad member in the first place? Also, what about people who are in a guild and the guild is full of terrible people? They put up with it as long as they can, and ultimately decide to move on. If they hit their weekly conquest goal in the process, that person *deserves* to get the guild conquest reward on completion. They should be able to quit AT ANY TIME if they're being mistreated or dealing with behavior they find intolerable. Very often, I hit my weekly conquest goal on DAY ONE (Tuesdays) of weekly resets. But it might be day 2 that certain behavior could become intolerable -- even harassment -- but *I'm* the one who is punished for leaving the guild??

These changes are totally backwards. If I hit my weekly conquest, I should be able to collect the guilds NO MATTER WHEN I choose to leave the guild. Likewise, if a guild puts up with someone until they can't take their behavior anymore, the guild should be able to keep the conquest points NO MATTER WHEN they kick the person.

Seriously, why not keep things clean and simple, and just have guild membership changes to conquest points and rewards simply go into effect with the next reset??

Couldn't find any info on this but noticed last week that we could invade practically every planet.

This week it's back to 3 only.

What happened? Any explaination for these changes?

I really liked having all the planet open

The all planets thing is specific to total galactic war.

devs are punishing guilds for removing people from the guild -- again, by and large something done for very good reasons

They are trying to deal with the problem of the guilds who have been mass inviting hundreds of new characters on a weekly basis on multiple servers to milk them for conquest points while telling them they have no choice because everyone else is cheating etc. They are frequently spamming out 30-50 invites a minute, often hammering the same person multiple times. Then they kick them out a few days later to make room for more ninja invites. It's a horrible first impression of the game community for new players.

I don't think the point removal or grace period changes are good long term solutions as they cause their own problems but I understand the devs felt the need to act swiftly and want to see how things play out before investing more time trying to deal with what these guilds have been doing. Personally, I think they should remove all traces of the guild vs guild system since these invite/kick antics are just the latest issue caused by the g vs g aspect of the game.

The fact is that bad players abused the game by using the common troll excuse "the game let's me do so there is nothing wrong with doing it". Your blame should go to the people doing these things and those that support and follow them.

They are trying to deal with the problem of the guilds who have been mass inviting hundreds of new characters on a weekly basis on multiple servers to milk them for conquest points while telling them they have no choice because everyone else is cheating etc. They are frequently spamming out 30-50 invites a minute, often hammering the same person multiple times. Then they kick them out a few days later to make room for more ninja invites. It's a horrible first impression of the game community for new players.

I don't think the point removal or grace period changes are good long term solutions as they cause their own problems but I understand the devs felt the need to act swiftly and want to see how things play out before investing more time trying to deal with what these guilds have been doing. Personally, I think they should remove all traces of the guild vs guild system since these invite/kick antics are just the latest issue caused by the g vs g aspect of the game.

The fact is that bad players abused the game by using the common troll excuse "the game let's me do so there is nothing wrong with doing it". Your blame should go to the people doing these things and those that support and follow them.

Agreed...

And to add: I wouldnt mind them going so far as removing points for people being kicked and for people leaving on their own terms; and remove the grace period all together. This way the guilds are punished and not the individuals (speaking from a leadership role in a guild).

Also, if the guild cap was per account versus per character/toon, it would help cut down on the many alt guilds a large guild is utilizing to conquer planets. If they had more room to store their alts, then the need for multiple alt guilds is gone. Id rather see their main guild get 3 times the amount of points they currently have than see 3 alt guilds dominate all the planets. Im ok with sister guilds of opposite factions (1 imp and 1 pub), its when you start seeing 5 imp and 3 pub guilds thats just plain ridiculous.

There are a lot of people (like myself) who are altaholics. We love our alts and want them in the same guild. In large guilds, thats just not possible due to the member cap. Ive helped run small, medium and large guilds, and the majority of the members in those guilds were altaholics.

:rak_03:

I /snip

How does this apply to guild conquest changes: devs are punishing guilds for removing people from the guild -- again, by and large something done for very good reasons -- and conversely rewarding guilds and screwing over players who quit guilds for, again, very likely good reasons. Examples: a guild has to remove a player for bad behavior, but up to the point of removing them they put up with the bad behavior until it crossed into the intolerable. The guild, having kept them around as long as they could, is then punished by the devs for...what? having ever put up with the bad member in the first place? Also, what about people who are in a guild and the guild is full of terrible people? They put up with it as long as they can, and ultimately decide to move on. If they hit their weekly conquest goal in the process, that person *deserves* to get the guild conquest reward on completion. They should be able to quit AT ANY TIME if they're being mistreated or dealing with behavior they find intolerable. Very often, I hit my weekly conquest goal on DAY ONE (Tuesdays) of weekly resets. But it might be day 2 that certain behavior could become intolerable -- even harassment -- but *I'm* the one who is punished for leaving the guild??

/snip

These changes werent made for the guilds kicking just one bad apple, or even 2 bad apples (because we all know most of them come in pairs). These changes were to prevent large guilds from kicking 10's to 100's of members, cycling through lowbies for conquest. These large guilds (note: these and not all) dont care for the members; they are abusing the system which puts a bad taste in the mouth of brand new players. And for the one or two or even three players you kick for being toxic, its worth the point loss in conquest. Being a leader in a small guild currently, I would prefer the hit in points versus keeping a toxic member around.

The points earned by the player should go with the player. And for the individual who finds himself quitting a crappy guild, its very easy to recap conquest in a new guild to get the reward. They still get their personal rewards.

These changes werent made for the guilds kicking just one bad apple, or even 2 bad apples (because we all know most of them come in pairs). These changes were to prevent large guilds from kicking 10's to 100's of members, cycling through lowbies for conquest. These large guilds (note: these and not all) dont care for the members; they are abusing the system which puts a bad taste in the mouth of brand new players. And for the one or two or even three players you kick for being toxic, its worth the point loss in conquest. Being a leader in a small guild currently, I would prefer the hit in points versus keeping a toxic member around.

The points earned by the player should go with the player. And for the individual who finds himself quitting a crappy guild, its very easy to recap conquest in a new guild to get the reward. They still get their personal rewards.

I mentioned outliers and the guilds you refer to are certainly outliers. First, the top guilds will *always* be top guilds, and they aren't top guilds because they're cycling out lots of players. If a guild isn't clear about their own rules for non-contributing, non-activity, etc. that's one thing, but the tops guilds are *very* clear about that stuff. It's that rigidity that keeps me personally from joining any of them.

That said, earned points for individuals should never be lost, period. My beef is rewards should not be taken away either IF the requirements are completed, and the requirement for guild conquest rewards should ONLY be that you are in a guild prior to weekly reset. PERIOD. Individuals cycling through guilds would be outliers, and *no matter what* they only get the guild conquest reward once per week. If they're in a different guild each week, WHO CARES. We aren't talking *thousands* of players; I'd be surprised if there's more than a handful in the whole game who might do that, regardless of the numbers, it's win-win: the guild keeps the points, the player keeps the rewards. Why would that need to change??

What concerns me, as I said, is that the devs are throwing the proverbial baby out with the bathwater, punishing the wrong people with the changes. It is MUCH better to err on the side of players/guilds who don't deserve to be punished for dealing with bad behavior than it is to reward bad actors. To reiterate: if someone is behaving badly and gets kicked, the guild loses that players points. That's punishing the good guy. If a player is forced to quit but still puts in the work to earn the guild conquest reward, taking away that reward because they're literally *protecting themselves from bad behavior* is once again punishing the good guy.

It's totally backwards and, as I pointed out, not the first instance of the devs being totally backwards on who they reward and who they punish.

Also, it's rather irritating when people say "oh but it's easy to do the work over again", just like people say "oh you're only locked out for 15 minutes from GF, that's no big deal". Both statements are highly subjective, and dismissive of the fact that, however simple it may be in your eyes, it's still punishing the wrong people.

Hello,

I suggest a change for the Planetary Conquest that would be like this:

In the 1st day of Conquest (1st 24 hours) it would be a secret which guild targets which planet. Each guild will have an opportunity to choose from random 3 planets - small, medium and large yield - so there will be no agreement between guilds possible who takes which planet (this is something that is already probably happening now). In case that some guild will not be satisfied with possible targets, there will be a possibility of change (only 1 time per Conquest) and within the 1st 48 hours after start of the Conquest, but this change would be costly: large amount of material and/or crafted items. I can imagine this cost in range of even 1 billion, depending on he size of the guild where ratio of character alts in last 30 days applies and it would require War Supplies and/or many Invasion Forces. I would leave this open to discurrion and any suggestion. Anyway in case the guild decides to change the target planet, it gets again possibility to pick from another 3 options - Small, Medium and Large yield - and again all 3 random.

Now why I'm proposing this? Well... You earn credits ingame from any activity (quests, killing mobs, Counquest tasks, etc. etc. ...) and this raises costs of everything. Current inflation starts to be too high. Yes, I remember times when hypercrate's cost was 5M credits. Now it doesn't get under 500M - and we have a cap of 1B in GTN - so we are significantly closing in. The other thing is that crafters would have again some goal and purpose - even for the Conquest. And then you could raise the conquest points for destroying 10 Invasion Forces (increase of material consumption ingame + possibility to strategize and again to gie a feel to crafter that YOU DO CARE about them). Today's points for destroying 10 Invasion Forces are just a bad joke and I don't believe someone really uses to destroy them for such small amount of points or even tries to craft Invastion Force for this task due to required time and materials/credits. BTW have you even tried to craft the Invasion Force from the scratch - how many time it takes and how many material? If someone still doesn't like this... well you can always lower the critical for crafting or raise the crafting time. Everything is better than just remove the infitive conquest task and change it to daily....

Dear devs, thank you for reading this and for your reponse.

Diha

Edited by Diha

Hello,

I suggest a change for the Planetary Conquest that would be like this:

In the 1st day of Conquest (1st 24 hours) it would be a secret which guild targets which planet. Each guild will have an opportunity to choose from random 3 planets - small, medium and large yield - so there will be no agreement between guilds possible who takes which planet (this is something that is already probably happening now). In case that some guild will not be satisfied with possible targets, there will be a possibility of change (only 1 time per Conquest) and within the 1st 48 hours after start of the Conquest, but this change would be costly: large amount of material and/or crafted items. I can imagine this cost in range of even 1 billion, depending on he size of the guild where ratio of character alts in last 30 days applies and it would require War Supplies and/or many Invasion Forces. I would leave this open to discurrion and any suggestion. Anyway in case the guild decides to change the target planet, it gets again possibility to pick from another 3 options - Small, Medium and Large yield - and again all 3 random.

Now why I'm proposing this? Well... You earn credits ingame from any activity (quests, killing mobs, Counquest tasks, etc. etc. ...) and this raises costs of everything. Current inflation starts to be too high. Yes, I remember times when hypercrate's cost was 5M credits. Now it doesn't get under 500M - and we have a cap of 1B in GTN - so we are significantly closing in. The other thing is that crafters would have again some goal and purpose - even for the Conquest. And then you could raise the conquest points for destroying 10 Invasion Forces (increase of material consumption ingame + possibility to strategize and again to gie a feel to crafter that YOU DO CARE about them). Today's points for destroying 10 Invasion Forces are just a bad joke and I don't believe someone really uses to destroy them for such small amount of points or even tries to craft Invastion Force for this task due to required time and materials/credits. BTW have you even tried to craft the Invasion Force from the scratch - how many time it takes and how many material? If someone still doesn't like this... well you can always lower the critical for crafting or raise the crafting time. Everything is better than just remove the infitive conquest task and change it to daily....

Dear devs, thank you for reading this and for your reponse.

Diha

This wouldn't change guilds from agreeing who will take what planets. That can be agreed to by Discord chat's with Direct messages from multiple guild leaders. Changing planets once you've picked one shouldn't really happen, so if your trying to use this as a credit sink, it won't work anyway.

This wouldn't change guilds from agreeing who will take what planets. That can be agreed to by Discord chat's with Direct messages from multiple guild leaders.

Buf it you don't know what planets will be chosen? If you have 3 random planets per yield, you wouldn't be able to "fairly" distribute the planets. You can't say "Taris", if you don't even know if Taris will be available. Or you can. But would you?

Buf it you don't know what planets will be chosen? If you have 3 random planets per yield, you wouldn't be able to "fairly" distribute the planets. You can't say "Taris", if you don't even know if Taris will be available. Or you can. But would you?

Of course you would. 1 GL looks when he logs in. Sends out Direct messages to other guild leaders in Discord Direct messaging. Then they quickly decide, and agree on which planets to take for each guild.

If you think this doesn't happen already, your mistaken.

I am no fan of 'daily resource' only tbh. I'm in a very small guild that didn't do any conquest the first 10 years or so because guild ships were way too expensive so it simply didn't happen. But back in those days I could make all my gear and make the item mods 'n stuff and I was happy with it. GTN prices were fairly okay for the most part too.

That changed at some point so I got the ships and now there are quibbles over **** that large guilds pull and we're going back to conquests getting impossible for small guilds, it seems.

Except that I need those gathering items that you get from conquests objectives to make gear with. It's not as hugely ridiculous as Ossus crafting was (as that was so terrible I just quit the game after I played through the story update, as there was zero other game fun for me to be had), but the whole idea that regular players make that much money is just... off. I'm sure hardcore players and GTN experts gained wealth over the years. Also other players do the stuff I can't physically do, more power to them. Literally! They can make those legendaries, and they earned them. But don't assume the rest of us is happy with the parts we can do if there is literally not a thing left.

The problem here is that the economy is so off the rails that you can't even talk about it in a normal manner anymore. I did some crafting for a long time player the other week who didn't have over 12 milion to their name.

Which circles back to me needing those mats. I'd need to invest several millions to make one (1) item with crafting if I don't get those conquest mats. I am already unable to get PvP and operation mats myself *. That's fine, I am really not even talking about crafting legendaries or something. I don't need them for what I do so I don't consider it that bad they are out of reach. I just want to make everything else tho, so I need those conquest mats. Is it really too much to ask to keep this possible?

* I can't do multi person stuff like operations or pvp with the terrible shiny **** other people can do with tunings and other irrelevant but terrible-for-me """updates""" (this goes for making spells 'more shiny' and that annoying giggle too, while I'm at it), the absolute unnecessary lack of a simple option to turn screen shakes off and more of those details.

/Snip

There's a few things about this post.

Yes, the crafting nerfs are going to affect the smaller guilds who rely on the extra oomph it gives them, we mentioned this when the thread was first brought out (on a friday, when there were no mods around :rolleyes:....but I think that may have been mentioned) The thread went nuclear and eventually was locked. Since then the CM's have completely ignored the issue, like they usually do, and are still planning on instigating the changes. Again, these changes have nothing to do with stopping botting, or cheating in any way. Again it's a way to pander to the bigger guilds, or maybe certain people who are in them...

I've switched to doing GSF, just enough to get the big CQ points, but it can be done while doing others stuff, and I don't have the issues of gathering mats, crafting, stocking up on others stuff, etc. Which is a shame, as I'm not a great GSF'r, and even though I try my best I'm probably a hindrance to my team, but as crafting has been F****d for me, I have to try other things, and GSF gives some great CQ points.

As for making credits

You don't have to be hardcore player, nor a GTN wizz to make money, it also doesn't take the ranked and NIM mats.

You can craft your way to a nice hefty wallet, crafting dyes, and other stuff, you just need patience. You can also gather, and resource mats to sell on the gtn. Plenty of people make a killing on the gtn doing just that, and once you start, you can use that as seed capitol to buy low price items, to then sell for higher profits.

Edited by DarkTergon

can we get a increase in amount of points it takes to complete the personal goal? 50,000 was easily done in 30 minutes, would be cool if I could select higher amount of points and get higher rewards for achieving it, especially if the guild doesn't go for the large yield.

So while dumbing down conquest and ironing out its inconsistencies and policy abuses, when will the developers make every conquest objective character bound? NOT legacy bound, because you keep deleting from the game infinitely repeatable objectives, what will those with many characters (who even spent on those extra server character slots you SELL on cartel market) do to keep achieving their personal weekly conquest objectives on many characters?

Before white knights, no I don't work in SWTOR to just go do 3-5 operations a day on different characters for conquest points just to be able to get multiple characters across conquest.

Why do you keep punishing those who are more invested in your game, who spent more on your cartel market and reward it with diminishing opportunities?

(BW feel free to delete this comment and ban me, if you find my questions too "negative"...)

Edited by Augustus

when will the developers make every conquest objective character bound? NOT legacy bound, because you keep deleting from the game infinitely repeatable objectives, what will those with many characters (who even spent on those extra server character slots you SELL on cartel market) do to keep achieving their personal weekly conquest objectives on many characters?

Why do you keep punishing those who are more invested in your game, who spent more on your cartel market and reward it with diminishing opportunities?

Good questions and suggestion. I support that. Unlike the person before you regarding whose suggestion all my thoughts vary from unparliamentary to downright [redacted on second thought.]

Edited by mike_carton

So while dumbing down conquest and ironing out its inconsistencies and policy abuses, when will the developers make every conquest objective character bound? NOT legacy bound, because you keep deleting from the game infinitely repeatable objectives, what will those with many characters (who even spent on those extra server character slots you SELL on cartel market) do to keep achieving their personal weekly conquest objectives on many characters?

Before white knights, no I don't work in SWTOR to just go do 3-5 operations a day on different characters for conquest points just to be able to get multiple characters across conquest.

(BW feel free to delete this comment and ban me, if you find my questions too "negative"...)

Good questions.

Conquest has been in pretty good spot lately, but it's going to get destroyed from small guilds and people with a lot of alts. I've suggested infinitely repeatable heroics to replace crafting inventor, that a lot of us use as a filler. There is no point doing one more heroic for 2k points to cap an alt, because they are limited to 1 per legacy per day.

I noticed lower levels have infinitely repeatable heroics, so it makes absolutely no sense to limit them from end-gamers. Make them infinitely repeatable for ALL levels, and that should help both small guilds and altoholics.

Good questions.

Conquest has been in pretty good spot lately, but it's going to get destroyed from small guilds and people with a lot of alts. I've suggested infinitely repeatable heroics to replace crafting inventor, that a lot of us use as a filler. There is no point doing one more heroic for 2k points to cap an alt, because they are limited to 1 per legacy per day.

I noticed lower levels have infinitely repeatable heroics, so it makes absolutely no sense to limit them from end-gamers. Make them infinitely repeatable for ALL levels, and that should help both small guilds and altoholics.

I think the reason they limit them is 75's have more options, like operations/uprisings. But unfortunately that doesn't take in to account, people who play solo, don't have time for ops, or are preff/free.

Letting heroics be infinite for higher levels, as well as lower levels, would help these people, give them more options

Good questions.

Any activity that is already restricted by a lockout or mission should be infinitely repeatable for conquest across alts.

If they need to rebalnce the points, so be it.

That is one of my biggest complaints about all the changes they have made - most have done nothing to address basic issues from winner-take all titles and achievements to crap like making a whole bunch of activities once per day / once per week per legacy.

Edited by DawnAskham

Some good points.

As someone whose up to 60 alts, I often run out of repeatable objectives to do and I spend a great deal of time messing around to make sure each alt gets some activities. That means I often don’t get to play the alts I want at the time I want to play them because I have to stop and swap or those other alts will get none.

I’ve had to rely a lot on repeatable crafting to get me over the hump with a lot of alts each week. Usually I just need them get a few thousand more points and certainly no more than 10,000 to finish off an alts conquest. With the removal of repeatable crafting I won’t be able to get a large portion of my alts through.

BioWare, it’s time to stop making activities once per legacy and start making them once per character like they use to be.