Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Of Blood and Honor - Jailbreak

Perihelion
12.13.2012 , 12:21 AM | #31
Ok, I will massage your ego, I like it and hope to see more.

silvershadows
12.13.2012 , 11:58 AM | #32
Quote: Originally Posted by Perihelion View Post
Ok, I will massage your ego, I like it and hope to see more.
Ha, well thanks.

The ego massaging actually helps me, because despite knowing that I have talent, I am continuously worried when people don't comment on my stories, and I see other stories getting comments - ones with no real plot or substance other than a lot of fluff words and a barely-there premise designed only to allow the writer to create a situation which would essentially never happen.

On the other hand, I meticulously research everything I write (one reason it takes so long in between stories) and try to include sub plots (Apoc's hand injury has been a reoccurring theme which is mentioned from time to time, though it hasn't affected her combat performance - yet). So I can get a little down when I see something like 500 views and there's only comments from 2 different people. Makes me wonder what I'm doing wrong.
Sage - Sentinel - Commando - ScoundrelPowertech - Operative - Marauder - Sorcerer
Highjinks - Flashfire Ace - Saberwing
Cadera Legacy The Ebon Hawk

Check out my series of Mandalorian novels HERE.

Perihelion
12.13.2012 , 06:08 PM | #33
I don't think you're doing anything wrong. The reason I enjoy yours is well, quite frankly its refreshing to see enjoyable characters that are well, mean. Most of the other Sith in these stories are lightsided and appallingly angsty and noble, and well, I like my empire-sided folks to be bad people. Not necessarily buahahah-twirl-my-mustache, lets take down the school kids for their lunch money evil, but yeah lets support slavery and a rigid caste system, and punishment and death for failing. Doing the things they do for greed and power and self preservation. Not that there can't be good eggs among them, but this is the Sith Empire for crying out loud! I like how you imbue these guys with likable and unlikable characteristics while maintaining relationships and identifiable emotions while still being people I wouldn't want to know in real life.

silvershadows
12.13.2012 , 10:54 PM | #34
Thank you very much, that actually tells me a lot.

I've played "evil" characters in many role-playing games, and one of the first things I had to teach myself in order to play one correctly is that evil characters don't really think of themselves as evil, they think of themselves as the good ones and everyone else is obviously evil and corrupt.

Apoc and Torian are both light side, but the fact that they're Mandalorians gives them a hard edge that they wouldn't otherwise have. Umbral and Quinn are basically evil incarnate, lol. The story I'm working on now (which centers on Jedi Master Isad'ia and Darth Umbral again like my first one did) has a lot more from them and I hope I can once again pull off the "Love to hate them" feeling.

I dont like the way people seem to humanize the Sith warrior and Quinn either. Yes, they're people and they have emotions, but their darkness is what makes the characters. I don't know if people write them as nobler and kinder than they are because it's hard to sympathize with a villain, or if people truly believe that evil people cannot feel love or any kind of higher emotion other than hate, which is simply untrue. Evil people love - it's just usually a very selfish, passionate, and volatile love.

I had wanted to write a book for a long time in which the protagonists are 'evil' and the antagonists 'good'. While I don't do that with my SW fiction yet, I may one day write a story from the point of view of Umbral and Quinn's child. Until then, I'll content myself with making Darth Umbral one sinister, dark, complicated woman with a vicious streak the size of Yavin 4.
Sage - Sentinel - Commando - ScoundrelPowertech - Operative - Marauder - Sorcerer

AnandaRhiannon
02.10.2013 , 07:40 AM | #35
Shakes head..... once again I am amazed at the detail that this story entails! I'm sorry that Layne's sister couldn't get past her anger, but he has gained a great family with Apoc, Torian, and Mako! Thanks for posting this, and I'll look forward to other stories in the future! Sincerely, Teresa

silvershadows
02.10.2013 , 01:54 PM | #36
Quote: Originally Posted by AnandaRhiannon View Post
Shakes head..... once again I am amazed at the detail that this story entails! I'm sorry that Layne's sister couldn't get past her anger, but he has gained a great family with Apoc, Torian, and Mako! Thanks for posting this, and I'll look forward to other stories in the future! Sincerely, Teresa

Thanks a lot! I really appreciate it when people take the time to comment, I enjoy knowing other people love my stories as much as I do.

Currently working on the sequel to A Smuggler's Tale, which I am happy to say contains a lot more detail and background than A Smuggler's Tale did. I've been really enjoying writing some things from Darth Umbral's perspective and being able to write from Jaesa and Pierce's perspectives is also fun.

Following the one I'm working on now, I have several ideas for novellas I've been floating around, including a spin-off series featuring Raia Jesses, as well as more Of Blood and Honor, since Apoc and Torian have my heart in a way no other characters ever have.

Looking forward to giving you more things to read, and thank you for enjoying my work!

SpoeMeister
02.14.2013 , 02:53 AM | #37
Quote: Originally Posted by silvershadows View Post
Thanks a lot! I really appreciate it when people take the time to comment, I enjoy knowing other people love my stories as much as I do.

Currently working on the sequel to A Smuggler's Tale, which I am happy to say contains a lot more detail and background than A Smuggler's Tale did. I've been really enjoying writing some things from Darth Umbral's perspective and being able to write from Jaesa and Pierce's perspectives is also fun.

Following the one I'm working on now, I have several ideas for novellas I've been floating around, including a spin-off series featuring Raia Jesses, as well as more Of Blood and Honor, since Apoc and Torian have my heart in a way no other characters ever have.

Looking forward to giving you more things to read, and thank you for enjoying my work!
I can't wait! :-)
Everything will be OK in the end. If it's not OK, it's not yet the end.

Spivak Legacy (ToFN)
SpoeMeister Orrusos Do'chan Nadobo

silvershadows
02.14.2013 , 10:46 PM | #38
Quote: Originally Posted by SpoeMeister View Post
I can't wait! :-)

Working hard!

A couple fun little excerpts from the In the Shadows novella I'm working on now, if you're interested (these are all in order, though seperated by quite a bit, just little bits of the story that I pulled out as a preview):

Jedi Master Isad'ia has a vision -
Spoiler

In an Alderaan cantina -
Spoiler

There is no emotion, there is peace -

Spoiler

The Force is strong with this one-
Spoiler

Unconditional loyalty can be hard to come by -
Spoiler

Of course, there is much much more. I am extremely pleased with the way this one is turning out. The evolution of my writing style is really becoming apparent, as when I go back and re-read my own work, I feel as if each one is a vast improvement over the previous. I have occasionally caused myself to pause while writing to quietly exclaim, "Woah this is good!"

Of course, that's one of the reasons I do this, to shock myself when I am reading something I wrote, and completely forget that I, in fact, wrote it, and not some other, better author. lol!

SpoeMeister
02.15.2013 , 02:42 AM | #39
Wow, now I am superstoked to read the full story.

There is no emotion, there is peace - This chapter made a tear sprung in my eye. I had a really bad feeling about what's going to happen to Isad'ia. Especially after reading Jedi Master Isad'ia has a vision -. I'm feeling a sort of self-sacrifice to save her beloved ones... Also the mystery of the darkhooded man: is he a character like the grim reaper or the future embodiment of Xavian Quinn.

as I quote myself, I can't wait Do you happen to have an ETA on this story?
Everything will be OK in the end. If it's not OK, it's not yet the end.

Spivak Legacy (ToFN)
SpoeMeister Orrusos Do'chan Nadobo

silvershadows
02.15.2013 , 09:33 AM | #40
Quote: Originally Posted by SpoeMeister View Post
Wow, now I am superstoked to read the full story.

There is no emotion, there is peace - This chapter made a tear sprung in my eye. I had a really bad feeling about what's going to happen to Isad'ia. Especially after reading Jedi Master Isad'ia has a vision -. I'm feeling a sort of self-sacrifice to save her beloved ones... Also the mystery of the darkhooded man: is he a character like the grim reaper or the future embodiment of Xavian Quinn.

as I quote myself, I can't wait Do you happen to have an ETA on this story?
I really wish I could give you an ETA that was somewhat specific. Because writing for me happens in bursts where I write like a fiend for a week or two then stop until inspiration comes knocking again, it really could be anywhere from two weeks to two more months.

I'm trying my hardest to finish it, but it has really grown in scope since my first inception of the plot (which began immediately after finishing my first, smuggler story, and actually came into being previous to my writing of Mandalorian Vacation. I found (and still find) it rather daunting.

In truth, Isad'ia's vision holds several possible meanings, and of course I am the only one who knows which one is true. She has several more throughout the story, as they are increasing in frequency as the plot progresses. It will take many years for the full meaning of her visions to become clear, and it just might shock all involved.

Indeed, writing this story has already planted the seeds of many others to follow, and I am thoroughly enjoying myself - Umbral, in particular, is a fascinating character to write. In fact, scenes that feature her seem to flow more easily than ones which dont, perhaps because I myself am always waiting on the edge of my seat to see just what the Dark Lord might do or say next.

In any case, it is my sincerest hope that I finish this work soon, but I can't force it, or it will feel contrived. If things keep flowing the way they have been though, I would say it will be closer to the two week mark rather than two months.