Same-Gender [Flirt] Prompts

Uluain

First, this is not a discussion of the same-gender companion NPC romance opportunities which BioWare has said will be included as post-launch content. That topic has its own dedicated thread.

This is a suggestion that mission NPC [Flirt] prompts be offered from NPCs of the character's own gender.

For one (and I realize this will factor both in support and opposition to this suggestion), these conversational [Flirt] prompts are far more prevalent and easily accessed than the companion romance arcs unlocked through interactions with the companions over time.

I am literally unable to level a male Smuggler without encountering [Flirt] prompts at nearly every stage of his ongoing story missions. Sometimes there are multiple prompts. Sometimes it is not possible to choose either alternative prompt without being penalized by a loss of primary companion affection - a statistic which does directly affects companion efficiency and effectiveness.

I have no interest in pursuing opposite-gender [Flirt] options. This leaves me with less to enjoy of the game as I have zero opportunity to [Flirt] otherwise.

Is this a game-breaker? No, but it does make seeing those [Flirt] prompts an unhappy reminder that I am missing out, rather than a potentially fun extra spin on a mission, which I think it is intended to be.

Further, limiting same-gender choice to companion romantic arcs makes that inclusiveness virtually invisible. Conversational [Flirt] prompts would therefore represent a more genuine commitment to a diverse player community.

Some have said, and will say, that they never wish to see that in their game. I say, so long as I am seeing opposite-gender [Flirt] prompts... too bad! I put up with it. I have to. Suck it up.

Edited by Uluain
killing typo gremlins

• Replies 870
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, and I think this merits its own post, while recommendations for additional [Flirt] opportunities for female characters are not unwelcome here - I strongly support that recommendation - that also has its own thread. Please comment there if that is a subject you wish to discuss in depth.

EDIT - now with a link to the appropriate thread.

Edited by Uluain

Signed!

Also, it'd be nice if more of the flirts... companion *and* NPC had a bit more varied results. Why can't my PC go out on a dinner date with an NPC, have a fun evening, then cut back to staggering tipsy up the gangplank of her starship with a bunch of flowers in her hand occasionally, instead of it always being 'kiss, fade to black, fade back in to obvious post-coital chat'.

Bonus points if, after the tipsy stumbling home, the droid greeted the PC with "And what time do you call *this*... um, I mean, good to see you mistress!"

I brought this very thing up with a CSR yesterday who told me to post it here on the forums. I'm actually really glad I don't have to make my own post about it as I am a little trigger-happy with the anxiety these days.

Very much signed. Varied flirt options regardless of gender would be lovely, in fact, I would like to see more NPCs say a variation of "thanks, but no thanks!" too, if we're going to be inclusive. Striking out should definitely be part of the romance repertoire.

So far, I've gotten seriously unhappy while playing my male smuggler (who is gay), trying to navigate the conversations so I don't have sex by accident or come across as an enormous ******e/women-hater. It's been fairly stressful and ESC-heavy. (And that doesn't even cover how he feels about Corso and that that whole thing is going to break my heart.)

On the other hand, I play a Jedi Knight who's a real ladies' man and flirts with everything that moves and that works out beautifully. It's a real shame I can't get that same feeling of glee on my smuggler.

Yes please! I would love to see this implemented.

The [Flirt] option can be a huge part of how you play your character. Look at the Smuggler or IA stories. I find it's the lack of s/s flirt options that's keeping me from playing certain classes more than the lack of romance options with companions.

I don't expect a positive response every time I flirt. Actually, it's rather boring when you know you're going to get a positive reception and I think a range of reactions would be far more fun.

Definitely signed, and good to see this getting lots of support. In a galaxy where your characters can hook up with beings who are of different species, flirting with someone who has so minor a difference as the same gender should be an everyday thing.

I don't expect a positive response every time I flirt. Actually, it's rather boring when you know you're going to get a positive reception and I think a range of reactions would be far more fun.

Nice! I hadn't even thought of that. My smuggler and trooper both must be incredibly smooth considering how every single time they flirt, it gets such a positive response. Getting smacked once in a while would be hilarious. :D

Edited by MusedMoose

First, thank you all for the support and discussion. I was nervous about posting this. Threads like this can catch a lot of flak, and that isn't pleasant. Contributions here so far have been. It's appreciated. :)

I brought this very thing up with a CSR yesterday who told me to post it here on the forums. I'm actually really glad I don't have to make my own post about it as I am a little trigger-happy with the anxiety these days.

Took me three tries to get a sensible answer out of CS, but I kept at it - politely- and posting here was suggested. I think it was a helpful suggestion. Thank you, CS Reps. We know you're snowed under right now. Thanks for helping us out.

Very much signed. Varied flirt options regardless of gender would be lovely, in fact, I would like to see more NPCs say a variation of "thanks, but no thanks!" too, if we're going to be inclusive. Striking out should definitely be part of the romance repertoire.

I think a bar-fight cut scene would be great. :) Yes - I don't need to score, really. Well, not all the time, anyway. Variation would add some depth.

So far, I've gotten seriously unhappy while playing my male smuggler (who is gay), trying to navigate the conversations so I don't have sex by accident or come across as an enormous ******e/women-hater. It's been fairly stressful and ESC-heavy. (And that doesn't even cover how he feels about Corso and that that whole thing is going to break my heart.)

It honestly wasn't until I started levelling my Smuggler (who also swings from his own side of the tree) that I was really made aware of how much I was potentially missing. And I hear you on Corso. There is definitely some unexplored tension there. But that adds some realism, too, in its way.

On the other hand, I play a Jedi Knight who's a real ladies' man and flirts with everything that moves and that works out beautifully. It's a real shame I can't get that same feeling of glee on my smuggler.

I think my Consular has so firmly sublimated his urges that he's not wholly aware of them. But then, I am pretty much playing him as a Space Buddhist. Okay, a Space Buddhist who kicks butt. ;)

Really, it's the Smuggler who would look for those opportunities, and follow them up regardless of what kind of trouble it led to. I hope I get that chance.

I think my Consular has so firmly sublimated his urges that he's not wholly aware of them. But then, I am pretty much playing him as a Space Buddhist. Okay, a Space Buddhist who kicks butt.

I kind of want to high-five you or something. I didn't mention my Consular main because she's just not that interested in romance at all and generally deflects the subject fairly easily, but she's a bit of a space buddhist herself.

Before I stray further off-topic, I would like to add that flirt options should perhaps also come with a way to say no before things get serious that doesn't make the character sound/feel like a terrible person with no consideration for others. Particularly in the smuggler story line I have found myself with no option I would want to take or that made any sense for the character as previously established through dialogue choices. He's a nice guy with a flirty, snarky nature, there should be a way to let girls down easy instead of slapping them in the face.

Mostly I feel that these NPC/quest giver flirt options are more central to defining the player character's sexuality. New bisexual or gay companions alone won't change that it is near impossible to actually play a gay character right now, particularly if you're a smuggler or you want to be something other than celibate.

This feature is indeed needed.

And not only on the "romantic" point of view ! Some characters may flirt for their own epicurean pleasure (which typically fits a good portion of the smuggler class), but others only use it as a manipulative tool and thus don't even need to enjoy it (doesn't the standard imperial agents' training include "geisha arts" mastery ?). :cool:

Glad your smuggler found his identity, mine hasn't had the chance yet. He is getting very tired of constantly turning down all the women he keeps coming across, especially having to do it with the polite, tacked-on smile so as not to upset Corso. It was not my intent, but it feels like my smuggler is turning into a bit of a misogynist (or was, he's gone hermit locked up in his freighter for the past week not talking to anyone).

This thread highlights an important issue, one perhaps not as glamorous as SGR, but still very important to fully fleshing-out the story-driven conversation system that SWTOR has pioneered.

This thread highlights an important issue, one perhaps not as glamorous as SGR, but still very important to fully fleshing-out the story-driven conversation system that SWTOR has pioneered.

Aside from being more glamorous and generally talked about, I also believe that the companion quests and romances tend to say more about the companion than the player character. I feel like the flirt options are more central to defining our own characters as opposed to enjoying the story of an NPC. The companion romance is a little more about how they fall in love with us. The flirt options are about how we interact with the world.

Honestly, it seems like a lot of work with little payout.

What if they just added a [flirt] tag to same sex responses already in game? Some of the banter could be interpreted as a flirt if only the tag was added... could even do the whole fade in and fade out for the secret moments.

I wouldn't sign for this but I'm not bothered if it's added. Good luck on your request!

What if they just added a [flirt] tag to same sex responses already in game? Some of the banter could be interpreted as a flirt if only the tag was added... could even do the whole fade in and fade out for the secret moments.

"So, what's in it for me?" is a great line for a smuggler, but a lousy flirt.

No, I really want there to be actual opportunity to play as others already play.

Now, if some conversational prompts that are already opposite gender flirts don't sound too out of place switched around, that may be possible as well.

I wouldn't sign for this but I'm not bothered if it's added. Good luck on your request!

Fair enough. Thanks for the bump.

I would say that the amount of payout is very much in the eye of the beholder. The work involved may well be enormous, I have no idea. Bioware could have planned for modifying existing content down the line, in which case it might be no more work than adding other quest-related content. They may well have anticipated changing dialogue trees in advance of release and just couldn't commit for December. Considering the scope of the game, I hope they have some fluidity already built into the code so they can easily build on what's already there.

Of course, I also believe it's still a lot of work, but here is where it gets subjective. For you, the payout may be small, but as I've already said in this thread, for me and others the flirt options (more even then companion romance for some) define the attitude our character has in regards to sexuality (be that not-interested like my warrior monk Consular, or a straight ladies man with girls in every port like my Jedi Knight). It's really important for us, that's why this thread even exists.

Two different things here: yes, there are options in game where my male smuggler says things like "you are the shiniest bounty hunter I have ever seen" that can, to the right ears, sound like a flirt. What makes it a flirt, however, is not just what my character says, but how the NPC reacts to it. Be that an emphatic "no way, I don't feel like that about smugglers" or an enthusiastic "yes" like a lot of the straight options get, complete with fade to black. As it is, we do not have the reaction at all - that male bounty hunter is programmed to think I'm either making fun of him platonically or earnestly and platonically complimenting him on his shiny breast plate. (I don't believe this is an actual flirt-portunity for female smugglers, but that line was one that struck me on my male smuggler as more flirt than banter with the angry head-hunter. Definitely a missed flirt-portunity, because that would have been hilarious.)

Now tweaking and adding these reactions and little cutscenes to already existing dialogue from my character would certainly be one way to accomplish what we are looking for here, though I would also definitely appreciate new lines that are as explicit (not sexually, but in their intent) as what straight flirt options get. I'm unsure whether I would prefer they do it faster by using content that is mostly already there or do it more in-depth and with attention to detail. I want both, I want it fast and I want it good and I want to feel less like gay characters are an after-thought or completely invisible.