Next Expansion Ideas?

CRSerenity

Hello hello, SWTOR forums! In having discussions with some people I learned were kind of curious as to where the story could after Rise of the Hutt Cartel, and while in the end it is up to the writing crew at BioWare there is plenty within the Star Wars expanded universe (and possibly hinted at within the game itself) that could work as main story beats for the game's next expansion. But what kind of story would work? I have a few ideas, which I will share below:

The Rogue Moon Project: A holdover from the KOTOR comic books, the Rogue Moon Project was started by Zayne Carrick as a means to help out those that fall outside the notice of the Republic and the Jedi. There are plenty of places on Coruscant (specifically, the Migrant Merchants controlled areas) where the Rogue Moon could be working, but they seem oddly absent. They could be overwhelmed because the war and the like, but it would be interesting to see what the Rogue Moon Project has been doing. And it could tie in as a half and half with...

The Questioners: Going again back into the KOTOR comics, one of the stand out characters was Rohlan Dyre, a damn smart Mando who was able to figure out that something was rotten in the state of Mandalore in the KOTOR era. And I would certain think that 300 years later with the Mandalorians allied with the Empire, there would be more than just the Caderas questioning just what the hell the Mandolorians are doing. They may well get a lot of interest with more intellectual Mandos and those who *really* don't like the alliance.

The Chiss Ascendency: With only a handful of handful of hints on Hoth and a few dialogue choices, we really don't have a damn clue as to what the Ascendency is doing. We know they're nominally allied with the Empire, but why? For what reason? Why their interest in Hoth? Are their actions there a colonizing effort? Are they doing the same as the Imps and Pubs there, to get the tech stranded there on the planet? It would be a damn good mystery to figure out and possibly be the focus of the next expansion.

Any other ideas that could work as a full on expansion? Anything to possibly expand on the above? Something in between? Pie?

A lot of possibilities. Bio ware announced they will have 2 expansions this year. One of them similar to ROTHC. So I'm guessing the next expansion will be a new planet of some sort. But what would I like to see?

- I'm glad they left the whole Revan story open. So they can bring it back at the right time. I'd like an expansion on this. He is one if my favorite characters.

- I'd like to visit the world of Manaan. A water world, maybe some underwater quests! Underwater cities! Etc. I'm big on story, I think Bioware could make an interesting and classic SW storyline with this world. Mystery , Action, plot twists. The rep and imp sides would both show interest in this rich world.

- Characters like Carth could have something like a bloodline and....bleh nvm.

- an expansion that accelerates the war! Which looks like with have 2.7 fps that will do that.

-

There's definately allot of possibilities for the next expansions. Personally I'd like something either expanding the story around the Mandolorians or (a plot-sensible) return of the Emperor, in the near future, though there are allot of other exiting potentials.

In regards to Revan, I might be one of the few that would really like Bioware to quickly and permantly kill him off, if they re-introduce him to the universe. Not that he isn't a great and compelling character, powerfull and what not, but simply becaurse having him around means that all that we (as the current characters) do and achieves, gets "dwarfed" and made less meaningfull, if the lore-setting is really just a product of a conflict that happened 300 years ago and the character (Revan) that conflict created. While bringing him back would properly be a popular decision amongst many of those who played KoToR, having him back to continue *his* story will ultimately negate the importance of what the characters in this game has achieved, in my opinion.

But mostly I hope that new expansions will increase the players direct influence on the conflict between the Empire and the Republic. Implementing warzones where the 2 factions can battle each other, as an example, with long term consequences (such as one side being able to hold the warzone and gain some sort of bonus or the like), is something I think is a bit lacking in this game. And lore-wise there seems to be rather a few possibilities for setting such a stage as conflicts over resources seems rather commonplace in this setting (Ilum, Correlia, Kuat etc.).

But that's just my "two-cents": Less Revan, more WAR :)

In regards to Revan, I might be one of the few that would really like Bioware to quickly and permantly kill him off, if they re-introduce him to the universe. Not that he isn't a great and compelling character, powerfull and what not, but simply becaurse having him around means that all that we (as the current characters) do and achieves, gets "dwarfed" and made less meaningfull, if the lore-setting is really just a product of a conflict that happened 300 years ago and the character (Revan) that conflict created. While bringing him back would properly be a popular decision amongst many of those who played KoToR, having him back to continue *his* story will ultimately negate the importance of what the characters in this game has achieved, in my opinion.

You are not the only one. I thought it was a really bad move to take a former Player character and turn her into a huge lore thing (with a gender change too). It really screwed KOTOR for me, and all I want is to kill the BioWARE's Revan. So far I took it out on a certain group in the Empire story. In BG, we at least collectively ignored Abdel the Canon Bhaalspawn, but canonization of Revan and Meetra are less easy to ignore. I will be really annoyed to have KOTOR2 ruined as well, so I am hoping that SWTOR does not crash the KOTOR2 PC as well that much.

What I would REALLY love to see is an expansion that looks to the past rather than to the future. I would not mind a 'vision'/'explore the history' style expansion that allows you some play time with the old KOTOR II crew of 5 to chose from with 1 or 2 dialogues each, Atton, Bao-Dur, Mical/Brianne, Mira and Visas. I know SWTOR is the closest we have to KOTOR3, and the ship has sailed, but I still miss that stellar crew. I am sorry, Bio scheme (two romance interests and a couple of quirky chars) just doesn't hold the candle to Obsidians un-ashamed KOTOR2 'make them all hot Mary-Sues' drive. Worked for me, and proud of it!

Edited by DomiSotto

Personally I'd like to see the events from both KOTOR games reflected a bit more in coming expansions.

I can imagine how the Emperor may want to use some anacient Rakata technology hidden on their home world (or in the wreck of the Star Forge) to return himself to power. Maybe some sort of cloning machine (one that can actually create force using clones) that could create him a new super body or and endless supply of replacement bodies. This could see the players on both factions travelling to the planets where the Star Maps were hidden (Dantooine, Korroban, Tatooine, Kashykk and Manaan) to recover the co-ordinates of the Rakata world which have been mysteriously deleted from history. Once both sides arrive there could be a massive space and ground battle for control of the planet and the ancient technology hidden there. With the Republic denying the Empire the plans to build a new Star Forge but the Imperials getting their Emperor back.

I could also see a great story about some deranged Force users (both Jedi and Sith) discovering Kriea's teaching and attempting to bring about the end of the Force. The Republic could peruse them to prevent galactic genocide while the Imperials want the technology to fashion into a weapon they could use to destroy just the light side of the force and the Jedi. This would create some nice moral dilemmas on both sides as both factions are offered the opportunity to gain a weapon that could be used to eliminate either the light or dark sides of the force altogether, would be espeically interesting if you were LS Sith or a DS Jedi. Players could travel to ancient dark ruins on planets such as Dxun or Yavin 4, places where the followers of Kriea have planted the seeds for the forces destruction.

I'd like to see a Mandalorian-focused expansion. Geonosis would probably be a good choice for the planet.

I can imagine a situation where a faction of the Maderlorians, especially those of Clan Ordo, come to realise that the Empire and it's underhand methods are incompatible with their interpretation Manderloiran code. This could spark a civil war with in the ranks of the Manderloirans, with the Ordo backed "Conservative" faction advocating a return to more traditional Maderlorian ways, while the pro Empire "Loyalists" try and persuade their kin to embrace a new way of doing things.

Imperial players would fight with the Loyalists to keep the Maderlorians in the Empire while Republic players work covertly to support the Conservatives, they will never be able to get them to join the Republic but getting them away from the Empire would be a victory. Again a main planet in this story would be Dxun, birthplace of the Maderlorian Wars.

At the end the Republic could succeed in fracturing off a group of Maderlorian clans from the Empire but the majority would remain and be even more loyal to the Imperial cause than before.

Consumption of Life: The Emperor was not dead - the Republic was foolish. The Emperor did not wish conquest - the Empire was foolish. All he wished was to consume. And he has awoken.

On the Imperial side the Empire is in chaos - the Dark Council entered the Emperor's chambers after he summoned them, and never returned. The Emperor has said nothing. It has been months, and the Sith are fighting amongst themselves to replace the council, all over the galaxy. The Imperial characters are tasked with various tasks to help preserve the Empire and stop this fighting. However, as the fighting goes on, more and more powerful Sith Lords disappear - not in a fight, but just gone, the only trace of them being residue of dark energy, stronger than even inside the Dark Temple or upon Korriban. The Inquisitor is assaulted by this dark energy but defeats it with the power of the many sith artifacts - the Warrior is left without attack, one of the few.

On the Republic side - post announcement of the Emperor's defeat, an invasion is planned to finally defeat the Empire once and for all - and the fragmentation of the Empire is a perfect chance. An army billions strong gathers as it assaults Imperial worlds one by one. The Republic characters fight to take these planets along side the army, dealing with multiple factions of Sith. However, as the Republic claim victory, the Jedi Masters of the council all fall - the Consular and Knight protecting themselves through experience with force-plagues (for the Consular) and experience with the Emperor (for the Knight).

The Emperor rises. Armies on both side are wiped out in an instant. The former victory becomes a rout for each. Elite troops are destroyed, communications crippled. Far away from the war, force sensitives begin falling to the darkside, slaying their own families. Trillions of civilians die, billions of soldiers.

This ties into the game's first Cross Faction storyline - the people of the Empire and Republic must work together to recover. The end of the storyline culminates with a cross faction Operation - Death of an Emperor, where both sides must join hands directly to defeat the monstrous sith emperor.

In the wake, both sides are crippled - the republics military force, all gathered together having been nearly wiped out. The Jedi sans council, with many lesser Jedi (and other force sensitives) falling to rage and hate from the Emperors influence. The core worlds in chaos as families are left without a life remaining. The sith infighting stops for once, however many powerful lords were already gone. Darth Marr (or some other important NPC I guess) unites them into following the cause of rebuilding. Their smaller size compared to the Republic makes logistics much simpler, and allows them a shorter recovery time.

Tensions are still high, but the two forces create an emergency cease in major activities - how long it will last no one knows, but as both rebuild, there is something else coming.

DUN DUN DUN.

I'm in the boat of not wanting any more Revan. I'd also like them to avoid any other necromancy vis a vis KOTOR plot points. Instead, expanding on the last idea from the OP:

The Ascendancy is in shambles. With the war drums sounding loudly from the Core to Unkown Regions the Republic has turned its gaze to their enemy's sole ally. The defeat of the upstart Toborro on Makeb frees fleets and materiel to reinforce the proxy barrier between Chiss space and the Empire. With the surge of momentum from recent victories a hawkish Senate approves plans to cut the heart out of the Ascendancy and close the second front to the war.

New space battle maps, new planet (featuring sweeping subterranean cityscapes connected via high speed tram), new armor/building/weapon/ship styles to reflect the uniquely Chiss nature of things, and a big leap forward in terms of direct aggression. What's not to love?

• 2 weeks later...
Consumption of Life: The Emperor was not dead - the Republic was foolish. The Emperor did not wish conquest - the Empire was foolish. All he wished was to consume. And he has awoken.

On the Imperial side the Empire is in chaos - the Dark Council entered the Emperor's chambers after he summoned them, and never returned. The Emperor has said nothing. It has been months, and the Sith are fighting amongst themselves to replace the council, all over the galaxy. The Imperial characters are tasked with various tasks to help preserve the Empire and stop this fighting. However, as the fighting goes on, more and more powerful Sith Lords disappear - not in a fight, but just gone, the only trace of them being residue of dark energy, stronger than even inside the Dark Temple or upon Korriban. The Inquisitor is assaulted by this dark energy but defeats it with the power of the many sith artifacts - the Warrior is left without attack, one of the few.

On the Republic side - post announcement of the Emperor's defeat, an invasion is planned to finally defeat the Empire once and for all - and the fragmentation of the Empire is a perfect chance. An army billions strong gathers as it assaults Imperial worlds one by one. The Republic characters fight to take these planets along side the army, dealing with multiple factions of Sith. However, as the Republic claim victory, the Jedi Masters of the council all fall - the Consular and Knight protecting themselves through experience with force-plagues (for the Consular) and experience with the Emperor (for the Knight).

The Emperor rises. Armies on both side are wiped out in an instant. The former victory becomes a rout for each. Elite troops are destroyed, communications crippled. Far away from the war, force sensitives begin falling to the darkside, slaying their own families. Trillions of civilians die, billions of soldiers.

This ties into the game's first Cross Faction storyline - the people of the Empire and Republic must work together to recover. The end of the storyline culminates with a cross faction Operation - Death of an Emperor, where both sides must join hands directly to defeat the monstrous sith emperor.

In the wake, both sides are crippled - the republics military force, all gathered together having been nearly wiped out. The Jedi sans council, with many lesser Jedi (and other force sensitives) falling to rage and hate from the Emperors influence. The core worlds in chaos as families are left without a life remaining. The sith infighting stops for once, however many powerful lords were already gone. Darth Marr (or some other important NPC I guess) unites them into following the cause of rebuilding. Their smaller size compared to the Republic makes logistics much simpler, and allows them a shorter recovery time.

Tensions are still high, but the two forces create an emergency cease in major activities - how long it will last no one knows, but as both rebuild, there is something else coming.

DUN DUN DUN.

this is the general direction i would like to see, there is opportunity for class stories to continue as well

DUN DUN DUN.

Ohh I can definitely get into something like this! :D

On the Imperial side the Empire is in chaos - the Dark Council entered the Emperor's chambers after he summoned them, and never returned. The Emperor has said nothing. It has been months, and the Sith are fighting amongst themselves to replace the council, all over the galaxy.

! SPOILER ALERT !

This idea u have provided is not an option as it is happened before. The emperror in the Revan books wiped out the sith council when Lord Scourge informed him of the treason of some members. And then they have tried and rebuilt it after Revan was captured.

Yet other stories of yours seems very intriguing and I look forward for developers to look at it and maybe get some inspiration for the future content.

I would live to see a plot involving the Mandalorians. I'm all for anything involving the Mandalorians and their culture. I would also love to see one of the planets from KOTOR 1 & 2 be added as well like Dxun or maybe even Mannan.

DUN DUN DUN.

When he would summon the whole dark council the...

INQUISITOR CLASS WOULD NOT RETURN!:eek:

Perhaps make the inquisitor class the only one dark council member who would avoid being consumed...