Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Empire are the good guys?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
The Empire are the good guys?

TyeJ
01.29.2019 , 09:37 PM | #1
The entire time ive played this game Ive thought people who play for the empire viewed them as the good guys and same thing with republic, However after reading some threads it seems most just prefer their class stories and dont actually support the Empire and view them as the good guys.

This is vary disappointing because I actually do prefer the Empire to the Republic and view them as the good guys, I wont state my reasons unless someone asks, but I want to know who else views the empire as the good guys?

JuventusAndFCK
01.29.2019 , 09:56 PM | #2
I don't view any government as "the good guys," I think the abuses of the empire firmly rules them out of being anywhere near good, as a general statement, though. That said, the republic contains its share of abuse as well, the difference is usually that it's done behind closed doors though, which is why certain types of idealists can operate to its benefit.

VelvetSanity
01.30.2019 , 10:52 AM | #3
I’d say at this point, the biggest differences between how the republic and the empire operate is whether the abuses/corruption/etc occur openly or are hidden behind closed doors...

Which is why my consular wants to keep her alliance, and hopefully convince the Jedi as a whole to switch to it
Pre-CU Bria refugee
Syvari Lun - Cathar Jedi Sage
Darth Vaccina - Twi’lek Sith Sorceress

Sith-Viscera
01.30.2019 , 11:16 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by TyeJ View Post
The entire time ive played this game Ive thought people who play for the empire viewed them as the good guys and same thing with republic, However after reading some threads it seems most just prefer their class stories and dont actually support the Empire and view them as the good guys.

This is vary disappointing because I actually do prefer the Empire to the Republic and view them as the good guys, I wont state my reasons unless someone asks, but I want to know who else views the empire as the good guys?
There is no doubt that the Empire are the Bad guys, in the story. The republic are the good guys, but they operate against that thin gray line too. Some time they work so close to that gray line they fall over it into a dark territory they cant pull them selves back from.

For me 8 of my toons are Imps the other 5 pub side. the 8 Imps most are force users and i enjoy playing the bad guys of bad guys. The 5 pubs, most of them force users, i love playing some as goody 2 Shoes and some walk that gray line and one walked over that line. All makes for interesting out comes in the story and their choices they make.
Referral link, Use it, don't use it. It's what ever. But if you do, Thank You.
http://www.swtor.com/r/22Ct9G

JJKerryee
01.30.2019 , 11:58 AM | #5
There is NO doubt whatsoever that the Empire are the bad guys and the Republic the good guys. I'll admit that the Republic isn't perfect, I wouldn't call them exactly good, more like the lesser evil. However, if we're comparing these 2 factions. The biggest problem with the Republic is corruption and greed, while the Empire has literally legalized slavery, speciesism and basically murder. Sith can kill anyone they want as long as they're not a member of the Dark Council.

I personally love the Empire, I think it's super cool, evil and very intriguing, but anyone who thinks of the Empire as the good guys is just fooling themselves. They should just accept and love the Empire for what it really is.
Use my referral link, you know you want to: http://www.swtor.com/r/qb2Ygz And we both get good things!
Retreat is not weakness, it is strategy.

LD_Little_Dragon
01.30.2019 , 01:42 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by TyeJ View Post
The entire time ive played this game Ive thought people who play for the empire viewed them as the good guys and same thing with republic,
Why would you think this? The Imperial class stories don't present the Empire as good and benevolent, in fact the 'evil' actions are often praised by your superiors.

If you chose to play your Imperial class story(s) as a reasonable and decent person, than the game makes it clear that you are an unusual Imperial/Sith and are working against the current system, not with it.

The current, endgame state of the galaxy does present a kinder/gentler Empire, but that's only in comparison with the original vanilla Empire.
Stealthy heals, stealthy dps, stealthy tank.

OldVengeance
01.30.2019 , 02:18 PM | #7
I'd say the Republic (at this point in the story anyway) is probably more "good" than governments on Earth, quite frankly. Whenever Republic players encounter corruption or moral failings in the Republic, we are very often given a chance to correct it. That seems more efficient than how we deal with corruption in real life.

DarthDymond
01.30.2019 , 02:20 PM | #8
Republic = fundamentally good, but with flaws (e.g. corrupt officials).

Empire = fundamentally evil, but with some virtues.

This does not make them morally equivalent.
One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate, and thus defy the tyrannous stars. ~Kain

Refer A Friend Link: http://www.swtor.com/r/2gNj3d to get the free stuff detailed here

grimonce
01.30.2019 , 04:26 PM | #9
I believe Empire did nothing wrong?

Ardrossan
01.30.2019 , 11:14 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by OldVengeance View Post
I'd say the Republic (at this point in the story anyway) is probably more "good" than governments on Earth, quite frankly. Whenever Republic players encounter corruption or moral failings in the Republic, we are very often given a chance to correct it. That seems more efficient than how we deal with corruption in real life.
Mostly. Did you do the mission on Ord Mantell with the bomb race? That was a great mission. Most of the times I played it, it was either to bet or run. Then once on my super LS trooper I chose to report them to Ord Mantell's Ethics Officer. I think that guy is a pretty accurate representation of the Republic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnQOQVhZLr4