Whats the rush? My "full experience" failure

Salvadore

Warning: Incoming Soapbox

I have been playing this game since launch (4 level 55's) and I don't understand the attitude these days when it comes to XP gain. People say they are not getting enough or they want more 2xXP. Well, I say what is the rush? What are people trying to hurry and get to at endgame? The endless grind of reputation and gear in flashpoints, operations, and mind-numbing events? Want to play that warzone or space mission over again for the 100th time? This game is already ridiculously easy and throws all kinds of XP at you (if your a sub). There is no consequence or challenge to this game. If you just like beating your head at the wall over and over, go ahead.

Having grown up in the days of EQ1 and other early MMO's, I created a new character (a trooper) that I wanted for the "full experience." I wanted the grind of lvl'ing a character with no xp boosts. I wanted to experience every planet arc, story mission, and quest I could find, at or below recommended levels. I wanted my professions to mean something, as I could use the armor I crafted (even "greens") at the appropriate levels. I camped in hostile areas to make sure I didn't get the "rested" xp. Unfortunately I am a "sub." Things went alright halfway through Coruscant, but between flashpoints, space missions, and whatever else, I ended up being lvl 20 when I was done. By the time I was fully done with Taris (recommended lvl 16-20), I was lvl 25. Obviously, my "full experience" experiment will be a failure without skipping most of 2 worlds or more, only doing class story and/or main planet arcs. I am considering cancelling my sub just to slow down my xp rate. I heard it is really slow as a F2P.

End Soapbox

Also, ready my posts in the suggestion box. I don't think anyyone reads that forum :p

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=668624

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=668612

Thanks you and have a nice day.....

Not everyone cares about doing all those tedious quests or pays any attention to the "story". It's all on-rails and carries no meaning. You're just given chores to fight scripted mobs.

And for some of us MMO gamers, endgame is where the game truly begins!

Cheers!

:rak_03:

Not sure why it matters that some people want to rush to end game. It's their prerogative, and not really any of your business.

Maybe they are tired of the same conversations with the same NPCs on the same planets in the same order over and over, or maybe all of their friends are ahead of them in the game and they want to level up to play with them. Maybe a tank or healer on their Ops team had to take a break, and they want to level up fast to help cover the spot.

If you want to take your time and smell the roses, more power to you, but acting like everyone should want to play like you is a bit pretentious.

Diversity is what makes life interesting.

Then there are people like me.

I am in no rush to reach lvl 50.

But on the other hand, I'm in no rush to re-play all the planetary content for the umpteenth time either.

Personally, if they made it so that you could play only the class missions and still level up with that, I would have renewed my subscription instead of cancelling it.

But as it stands, I do enjoy the class story parts of the game, but right now I just cannot stand doing the planetary missions for the 10th time or so...

Then there are people like me.

I am in no rush to reach lvl 50.

But on the other hand, I'm in no rush to re-play all the planetary content for the umpteenth time either.

Personally, if they made it so that you could play only the class missions and still level up with that, I would have renewed my subscription instead of cancelling it.

But as it stands, I do enjoy the class story parts of the game, but right now I just cannot stand doing the planetary missions for the 10th time or so...

Exactly, if there was actual levelling variety, levelling another alt after the 5th or 6th might still be entertaining.

It really isn't.

Not everyone cares about doing all those tedious quests or pays any attention to the "story". It's all on-rails and carries no meaning. You're just given chores to fight scripted mobs.

If someone is not inclined to pay attention to the story in a game as story-heavy as TOR, they picked the wrong MMO.

And for some of us MMO gamers, endgame is where the game truly begins!

Whatever floats yer boat. Perhaps you need to find a game where you can just start out at cap.

Edited by branmakmuffin

endless endgame grind aka the 2 months it takes to get everyone in the group geared out unless you are doing alt runs too and transferring gear over. 2 months where you go into a raid once a week and spend 2 hours of less clearing it...I dont get it I thought this grind was endless? Edited by Ansalem

Warning: Incoming Soapbox

I have been playing this game since launch (4 level 55's) and I don't understand the attitude these days when it comes to XP gain. People say they are not getting enough or they want more 2xXP. Well, I say what is the rush? What are people trying to hurry and get to at endgame? The endless grind of reputation and gear in flashpoints, operations, and mind-numbing events? Want to play that warzone or space mission over again for the 100th time? This game is already ridiculously easy and throws all kinds of XP at you (if your a sub). There is no consequence or challenge to this game. If you just like beating your head at the wall over and over, go ahead.

Having grown up in the days of EQ1 and other early MMO's, I created a new character (a trooper) that I wanted for the "full experience." I wanted the grind of lvl'ing a character with no xp boosts. I wanted to experience every planet arc, story mission, and quest I could find, at or below recommended levels. I wanted my professions to mean something, as I could use the armor I crafted (even "greens") at the appropriate levels. I camped in hostile areas to make sure I didn't get the "rested" xp. Unfortunately I am a "sub." Things went alright halfway through Coruscant, but between flashpoints, space missions, and whatever else, I ended up being lvl 20 when I was done. By the time I was fully done with Taris (recommended lvl 16-20), I was lvl 25. Obviously, my "full experience" experiment will be a failure without skipping most of 2 worlds or more, only doing class story and/or main planet arcs. I am considering cancelling my sub just to slow down my xp rate. I heard it is really slow as a F2P.

End Soapbox

Also, ready my posts in the suggestion box. I don't think anyyone reads that forum :p

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=668624

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=668612

Thanks you and have a nice day.....

I would like double XP, more often, because:

1- I ran 8 characters from 1-50 including 6 to 55. I have little to no interest in doing or listening to the darn plant story and quests again.

2- Most early content is completely unchallenging or maybe I have too much legacy gear :cool:

3- I do not enjoy most classes until they are around level 40 and have actual skills and rotations. Spamming slash or power shot (etc...) is not fun.

4- Running at lower level generates no credits.

5- PvP in the 10-29 bracket is dreadful.

6- You will meet many dummies in low level FPs.

7- This is a combination of all of the above. I want to get lvl my lvl 17 merc, but mostly everything in lowbies is boring and I already have a PT so I have seen the story before. I want my merc to jump to lvl say 45 and I can enjoy playing a class not punching PvE sand bags with power shot and regular atk.

I completely agree with your notion that the SWTOR endgame is tedious and unoriginal, but unfortunately so is the 80%+ of the leveling content that isn't class story (or to a lesser extent, planet story). Like many other people, my best case idea of leveling a character is doing only the class missions (and some warzones) while skipping everything else. That's only really possible with double Xp weekends.

The fact that there is only one set leveling path (unlike WoW or GW2) is a pretty significant hindrance to re-playability.

Edited by Amera

Not sure why it matters that some people want to rush to end game. It's their prerogative, and not really any of your business.

spot.

If you want to take your time and smell the roses, more power to you, but acting like everyone should want to play like you is a bit pretentious.

When mechanics like double XP weekend which are not opt out affect my ability to want to take my time or whatever you want to call it, then it kinda does become my business. Do a search for double XP and look at some of the awesome suggestions other members had on what to do if you dont like double XP.

-dont play

-dont log in

-do something else

-you know that button? the one in menu options? yah that one? the one that says quit game? yah click that

It's all on-rails and carries no meaning. You're just given chores to fight scripted mobs.

By definition, leisure activities only have the amount of "meaning" the participant is willing to assign them.

That said, there's your answer OP.

I probably have 9 level 55 toons. 2 Level 50 toons on another server. 1 Level 53 and one level 51 I'm working on.

I have 15 or more who haven't reached 50 sitting across different servers. I've done every class story except Agent which my son leveled to 55 for me (or for himself depending on who you ask), but I have an Operative I'm currently leveling and is up to 26 after 4 months lol. I used the last XP weekends to level my Trooper and Sentinel to 50.

I DO NOT want to go back and do all those quests again which is why I rush and enjoy XP weekends when they offer them. If the quests were different each play through I wouldn't mind enjoying the "full experience" time and time again. So far the only planet I enjoy that grind on is Tython since it evokes the feelings I first got when I first started leveling my Shadow when the game started.

But more power to people who enjoy the grind. I'd do it again if the quests aside from the story line were different which is what makes it a PITA to do over after doing it on at least 7 toons. I think after my 5 or 6th I just started skipping quests and only doing story line.

When mechanics like double XP weekend which are not opt out affect my ability to want to take my time or whatever you want to call it, then it kinda does become my business. Do a search for double XP and look at some of the awesome suggestions other members had on what to do if you dont like double XP.

-dont play

-dont log in

-do something else

-you know that button? the one in menu options? yah that one? the one that says quit game? yah click that

Or play a max level character if you have one.

Several games have it, and there isn't really any reason for SWTOR not to - unless they expect that "twinking" would become a huge issue or something.

I find it rather humorous when people use the term "grind" with leveling in this game. I think most of you need a taste to what Everquest was back in the day.

I think most of you need a taste of what Strider for the Sega Genesis was like.

Some other person probably thinks I need a taste of what the Swordquest series on the Atari 2600 was like.

*shrug*

Edited by SkunkWerks

. Obviously, my "full experience" experiment will be a failure without skipping most of 2 worlds or more, only doing class story and/or main planet arcs. I am considering cancelling my sub just to slow down my xp rate. I heard it is really slow as a F2P.

what exactly is "ruining" your "full experience" ?? you can still do ALL the story content even if you're over level.

The ONLY thing "ruining" your "full experience" is YOU

do all the quest..why does it matter if you're getting xp or not if what you're out for is the story?

oh right....hypocrisy