Character Transfer, Server Populations and You

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's the "obvious" bottleneck? Please, elucidate me on the logistical & technical problems that prevent BioWare from giving us a reasonable server transfer system that's not built on quasi-optional pseudomerges and paid transfers down the road.

I'm not going to be pulled off-topic again. Look for yourself.

Doing it this way assures that there will be a dedicated number of servers with healthy populations to improve everyone's play experience. Your personal preference is not higher priority than the health and population of the servers. Edited by Noviru
quoting removed post

Doing it this way assures that there will be a dedicated number of servers with healthy populations to improve everyone's play experience. Your personal preference is not higher priority than the health and population of the servers.

That sounds an awful lot like the rigamarole that got me & my guild to preregister and get put ON the day 1 prelaunch server we're trying to get off of.

Once bitten, twice shy. BioWare has shown they can't place, manage, shape or herd a community once already, but I'm supposed to believe them this time, right?

BioWare has shown they can't place, manage, shape or herd a community once already, but I'm supposed to believe them this time, right?

This is why I have chosen to stay where I am. At least I will still be with my guild who has also chosen to stay because we want to be together and have no more faith.

Edited by Tuscad

Well ****...

For the people who are still deciding the exact flavor of poo they're willing to swallow, this is a small step in the right direction.

Who knows how it will turn out. The game is where it's at and the people who are still willing to play it, but are stuck on dead servers with characters they've invested a lot of time in should have an option to play with people.

I'm not anti-transfer. I'm pro-transfer. WAY pro-transfer. I'm anti-half-done-features-with-the-rest-to-come-with-a-pricetag.

Big difference.

I waited 6 months to see how transfers would be done "the BioWare way" since they clearly don't want to look or learn from anyone else's experiences in the industry, only to find out it's the simplest, most rudimentary & limited system imaginable & won't address the entirety of issues that many people have. If you're content with it, great, if it addresses your issues, fantastic. But for many of us, it's shuffling the deckchairs on the Titanic and yet more "soon" to swallow.

5.) Server transfers won't even begin to bring server populations closer to number of active players at launch. 3% of the players that were here at launch are still trying to make the best of a sinking ship (source: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=449144). The math for active players is the concurrent numbers in this thread (25k total) plus the dead servers of a guessed 5 more thousand for an even 30k, which is roughly 3% of a million players, of which we had far more at launch. The numbers are all estimates on the conservative side.

Your numbers are apples vs oranges.

These numbers represent the average number of simultaneous concurrent logins over the past two weeks. This isn't the number of subscribers, or number of characters, it's an estimate of how many people are actually logged in at once.

You're comparing concurrent number of players to subscriber numbers, so of course you're going to see a huge difference. Even concurrent numbers at launch to concurrent numbers now wouldn't be an accurate assessment of how many people are still playing, because most people that are still playing aren't playing as much. I know that I put in a few 16-18 hour days the first week of launch. I haven't done that in months.

I hope you enjoy the company of your fellow fanboy friends while your Titanic sinks. You must take comfort in knowing that you've so valiantly defeated the haters in the noble service of your liege, King Bioware. Oh wait, nevermind, the haters already abandoned the Titanic. Congratulations to the 3% who go down with the ship! :)

Bad math is bad math. I'm not saying the subscriber population hasn't gone down, but it sure hasn't gone down to 3% of what it was. By that math, even if every server was full on launch day, they had lost 50% of their subscribers on the day the game launched.

Then post better numbers based on observation. At least the thread I linked to showed how they reached those estimates.

Yes, but you took an apple and called it an orange, so your numbers are not only questionable, but known to be wrong, unless you honestly think that at peak times on each server, every person subscribed to the game is actually logged in and playing.

That dude just got burned worse than Anakin on Mustafar.

No, No, Anakin was at least aware he got burned. This one is using someone else's data to support his claims, and claiming to understand the data better than that person when that person disagrees with his conclusions.

"You can turn down the poop sandwich and starve. See how the poop sandwich goes for everyone else before you take a bite. Maybe if you eat the free poop sandwich now, they'll make better sandwiches you can buy in the future. Or, hey, starve."

Some choice. Some step 1.

You haven't even seen what kind of sandwiches they are yet...you are negatively assuming they are poop. What if only 5% of all players are affected by the name change issue, cue times drop significantly for PVP on all the new destination servers and when 1.3 hits the group finder works great? I think that's extremely optimistic and I wouldn't hang my hat on that any more than I would on the worst case attitude your response implies.

You don't have to move if you don't want to.

You might even be on a destination server already.

You don't have to even keep paying if you hate it.

If you want to go blow a gasket and freak out it's a free country and I respect your right to do so.

Will there be an attempt to balance Empire and Republic players? My only problem with this transfer is that there will be a major influx in the amount of players for each faction.

If your server becomes eligible for free character transfers, you'll be able to move all your characters from that server onto the destination server.

What if the server becomes full and only 4 of the 8 toons have be copied over?

I'm not anti-transfer. I'm pro-transfer. WAY pro-transfer. I'm anti-half-done-features-with-the-rest-to-come-with-a-pricetag.

Big difference.

I waited 6 months to see how transfers would be done "the BioWare way" since they clearly don't want to look or learn from anyone else's experiences in the industry, only to find out it's the simplest, most rudimentary & limited system imaginable & won't address the entirety of issues that many people have. If you're content with it, great, if it addresses your issues, fantastic. But for many of us, it's shuffling the deckchairs on the Titanic and yet more "soon" to swallow.

Agreed. Im all for transfers..just not half *** inequal treatment transfers. I feel especially for guilds even though I'm not in one any longer.

You haven't even seen what kind of sandwiches they are yet...you are negatively assuming they are poop. What if only 5% of all players are affected by the name change issue, cue times drop significantly for PVP on all the new destination servers and when 1.3 hits the group finder works great? I think that's extremely optimistic and I wouldn't hang my hat on that any more than I would on the worst case attitude your response implies.

You don't have to move if you don't want to.

You might even be on a destination server already.

You don't have to even keep paying if you hate it.

If you want to go blow a gasket and freak out it's a free country and I respect your right to do so.

He's nto upset about names...its about only some people getting free ones, guilds being broken up etc and the fact you may not even end up with your friends if your server becomes "full" so they change destinations without telling you.

Will there be an attempt to balance Empire and Republic players? My only problem with this transfer is that there will be a major influx in the amount of players for each faction.

Faction is like races, purely cosmetic as of 1.3

There's no open world pvp systems in place, all the warzones are same faction & the GTNs are merged. There's just the arbitrary wall put in place so you can't directly communicate. BioWare systematically removed anything that could be affected by population imbalance as soon they realized they had no clue how to fix it.

Faction is like races, purely cosmetic as of 1.3

There's no open world pvp systems in place, all the warzones are same faction & the GTNs are merged. There's just the arbitrary wall put in place so you can't directly communicate. BioWare systematically removed anything that could be affected by population imbalance as soon they realized they had no clue how to fix it.

Wow that sucks... Then why have PVP servers if there is practically no factions? I don't get how there would be open trade between Republic and Empire in a "real" Star Wars Universe.

Big difference.

This is the undeniable fire they HAVE to put out. It should have been done months ago and yet 6/12/12 to start it off is sooner than I even expected.

I'm not very happy with the overall state of the game either. Things could be way better at this point, they could be worse too.

I think baby steps towards something better is about all we're going to see in the near future.

Ok, Joveth, she says:

and the fact you may not even end up with your friends if your server becomes "full" so they change destinations without telling you.

But you said:

Please note that we will not be dividing the population of an origin server onto multiple destination servers for this free character transfer process.

So, which is it, really?

Hopefully someone from Bioware reads my comment below:

I have played since pre-release and Bioware selected our guilds Server. All of my original 8 friends who played this game have left. It was pretty decent server up until 1.2 which helped kill off my server. I tried to hang in on the server and play one of my alts and finally got bored due to excessively long warzone queues. I was forced to switch servers.

The only server with any population worthy at the time was Fatman. I made a character there and I will be level 50 soon. It really angered me that the big push of the legacy system was a feature that I can not benefit from. I have my new legacy on the server with the same legacy name but I am missing out on all of the time from my original server. Hopefully at a bare minimum a LEGACY TRANSFER will be ok to my server of choice which is now Fatman. I am ok with my other characters on another server (although it does aggravate me... I like having them on the same server)... I want my legacy though. If I am cheated out of being able to transfer to my new server then at some point I will likely move on from swtor. I have been patient as Bioware has asked. I have kept my subscription even though as a customer I am not satisfied with the product. I see the potential and leave my subscription in place so that the company has revenue money to continue to develop the game. As you continue to improve the legacy system it will frustrate me tremendously that I will not benefit from it with my new main character on the Fatman Server.

Wow that sucks... Then why have PVP servers if there is practically no factions? I don't get how there would be open trade between Republic and Empire in a "real" Star Wars Universe.

Technically, you're trading to the Hutts, who are then trading to the Empire. But this is off-topic, and I'm tired of warnings and infractions.

It's been stated that there will be implementations of carrots to help even out the factions. Also, there is going to be an uprising of the Hutt Cartel as a third faction in the storyline that could potentially and theoretically be a third faction in PvP, as in picking it to PvP only.

As far as balance of factions for server transfers, I'm sure they'll be monitoring it, but there really is little they can do without impeding free choice of faction.

Doing it this way assures that there will be a dedicated number of servers with healthy populations to improve everyone's play experience. Your personal preference is not higher priority than the health and population of the servers.

This. Its why I'm okay with this setup. They really are trying to create a small set of HEAVY pop servers.

That is what we ultimately want, isn't it?

Hi Rogoo,

As mentioned in the blog post, we will be maintaining server types. So it will be RP-PvP to RP-PvP.

Great, so my friends and I will be unsubscribing then.

That's worse than useless.

We don't WANT to stay on an RP server. We consider it the biggest mistake we've made in our collective history of MMO gaming.

We have friends on non-RP servers we want to play with, and playing with them in 1.3 was our sole motivation for continuing. We're bored of Flashpoints, the quality of PVE players on RP servers is atrocious (so getting a stable Ops group of people we can coexist with and/or count on has proven impossible), the quality of PVP players on RP servers is also painfully low, and our hope to rekindle our interest was being able to gather a disparate group of friends from across server types.

So when are you going to release actual server transfers, rather than this pointless half-measure?

Kind of iffy about this server merge. I guess I'll stay on my original server and see how populated it gets. It'll take hours/days in order to transfer over anyways.

I'm seeing a lot of fail in this transfer for mainly guilds and their guild banks. Among other bugs with missing items, gear, legacy spells etc.