Extreme Prototype: AP/Pyro Hybrid

I understand what you're trying to say Opf. I just can't consider those builds the same without PFT since FT is not worth using in those builds. Those builds focuses more on pyro's damage + ap's utility only, while extreme prototype focuses on pyro's damage + ap's damage + ap's utility. If I put those 2 points in minor talents I won't consider it different, but PFT is big for me. I know, it's just 2 points, that's why I named it based on those 2 prototype talents. Edited by dijskykiller

That does not sound good to me. Bushwhacker, really?

Oh well, to each his own. I never thought that Carolina Parakeet sounded "good", but it was a name the PT/Vanguard community grew to love. I was just trying to come up with a silly name that was still relevant to the build's philosophy (I have an explanation a few posts above if you missed it).

Finally, I am not trying to rain on your parade, but all three posts and the original designer of the build all used HO (it is the key reason for the trip into Tactics). The links are broken. Read the threads by Agooz and Exphyrl, they both stated that HO is the key and CTG this left them with 2 points either for PFT (which they chose not to take) or 1 point in ctc. The links to the builds in the old threads are broken because Torhead did some funky changing of the trees and it has broken every link to show incomplete builds. This is the reason I stated, you cannot rename a build that's already been named.

The only difference between your build and the others is PFT vs CGC and 1 point in the improved Railshot damage. PFT while nice is not gamebreaking enough to completely rename a build that has a 2 point difference. In Exphyrl's, he actually took 1 point in pft. and so did Agooz once 1.2 launched.

Look, I wholeheartedly think you brought a good discussion to the table about the value of PFT over CGC, but the build is the same. I love new thoughts, but this is the 4th forum thread in the last two months showing "new" builds that is your exact build with 1 or 2 points in different locations. Keep the discussion on going as Agooz and Exphyrl have moved on for the most part.

No hard feelings man. You said "The Maverick" was the first name? Well then, I'll just refer to it as the Maverick Bushwhacker then (everyone else can call it the Extreme Maverick Prototype haha *edit* actually, EMP would be a great name too. EMPs are real world AOEs that shut things down, just like this build does).

But in all seriousness, let's keep the discussion going. Particularly, I'm interested in how this build (or any of the AP/Pyro hybrids really) should gear themselves. We've already talked a little bit about set bonuses, but not much about the stats we should be going after.

Endurance vs. Offensive Stats

As much as I wanted to, I think it's somewhat foolish to adopt the PvE mentality of Min-Maxing for PvP DPS. There are a few reasons why I think it might be better to go for a few War hero items that are more endurance heavy:

1. Mid-short range nature of our spec and the relative lack of defensive capabilities of a full Pyro (energy rebounder)

2. PTF requires you to stay put for 3 seconds, allowing melee to catch up to you.

3. H/O makes you a decent ball carrier. More endurance allows you to be a better ball carrier.

4. More health = more healing done by Kolto Overload (I know it's a stretch and probably not even worth mentioning).

5. If you can break 20k health, maybe the enemy will think you're a tank and switch targets (wishful thinking, I know).

Crit vs. Aim vs. Power: which stat to stack?

I think this discussion depends largely on what set bonus you choose to go after. It seems there are three sets that are viable with this spec:

1. PvP Eliminators 4 pc (+15% crit chance to RS): Probably the most common/popular given the amount of Pyro PTs. Since this set grants a large crit bonus to our burst damage ability, it's probably safe to stack power for augments and relics to make up for the lack of RS damage from talents.

2. PvP Combat tech 4 pc (+15% crit chance to RP): A bit more tricky here. This set doesn't have any bonus to RS at all. I'm thinking that Aim would be your best bet here, since it gives you some bonus damage and some crit chance. What makes Aim less attractive is the fact that we have zero points in Steely Resolve.

3. PvE Combat tech 4 pc (+8% damage to RS): So this set makes up about half the RS damage that we don't get from talents, but lacks the crit chance bonus. The immediate reaction may be to stack crit, but I think it's better to have a balanced mix of crit/aim/power augments.

Anyways, I'd be interested to know what you guys think, especially since I just finished rounding out my DPS PvP set (*shakes first* at the BM Supercommando Implants and War Hero Supercommando Helm rotting away in my bank).

Edited by Rischardo

I understand what you're trying to say Opf. I just can't consider those builds the same without PFT since FT is not worth using in those builds. Those builds focuses more on pyro's damage + ap's utility only, while extreme prototype focuses on pyro's damage + ap's damage + ap's utility. If I put those 2 points in minor talents I won't consider it different, but PFT is big for me. I know, it's just 2 points, that's why I named it based on those 2 prototype talents.

FT is always worth using regardless of spec if there are more than 2 people in one location. Outside of Death from above it's amazing. Every PT should use it on doors and cluster areas when they can. Even Pyro's use it to hit multiple targets.

Endurance vs. Offensive Stats

As much as I wanted to, I think it's somewhat foolish to adopt the PvE mentality of Min-Maxing for PvP DPS. There are a few reasons why I think it might be better to go for a few War hero items that are more endurance heavy:

1. Mid-short range nature of our spec and the relative lack of defensive capabilities of a full Pyro (energy rebounder)

2. PTF requires you to stay put for 3 seconds, allowing melee to catch up to you.

3. H/O makes you a decent ball carrier. More endurance allows you to be a better ball carrier.

4. More health = more healing done by Kolto Overload (I know it's a stretch and probably not even worth mentioning).

5. If you can break 20k health, maybe the enemy will think you're a tank and switch targets (wishful thinking, I know).

Crit vs. Aim vs. Power: which stat to stack?

I think this discussion depends largely on what set bonus you choose to go after. It seems there are three sets that are viable with this spec:

1. PvP Eliminators 4 pc (+15% crit chance to RS): Probably the most common/popular given the amount of Pyro PTs. Since this set grants a large crit bonus to our burst damage ability, it's probably safe to stack power for augments and relics to make up for the lack of RS damage from talents.

2. PvP Combat tech 4 pc (+15% crit chance to RP): A bit more tricky here. This set doesn't have any bonus to RS at all. I'm thinking that Aim would be your best bet here, since it gives you some bonus damage and some crit chance. What makes Aim less attractive is the fact that we have zero points in Steely Resolve.

3. PvE Combat tech 4 pc (+8% damage to RS): So this set makes up about half the RS damage that we don't get from talents, but lacks the crit chance bonus. The immediate reaction may be to stack crit, but I think it's better to have a balanced mix of crit/aim/power augments.

Anyways, I'd be interested to know what you guys think, especially since I just finished rounding out my DPS PvP set (*shakes first* at the BM Supercommando Implants and War Hero Supercommando Helm rotting away in my bank).

I would recommend 2 pc Eliminator + 2pc Super Commando for the 3 seconds extra shield. Trust me when I say this. It's the single best combo out there. 3 seconds of shield makes you feel like you can live through anything. You lose a bit of damage on rail shot, but you gain 3 seconds of 25 percent damage reduction.

I would recommend 2 pc Eliminator + 2pc Super Commando for the 3 seconds extra shield. Trust me when I say this. It's the single best combo out there. 3 seconds of shield makes you feel like you can live through anything. You lose a bit of damage on rail shot, but you gain 3 seconds of 25 percent damage reduction.

Hm, I'm assuming there's a typo seeing how we don't benefit from 2 pc eliminator at all. Did you mean 2 piece PvP Combat medic? That would be another 3 seconds for a total of 18 seconds when combined with 2pc PvE Supercommando. If the super energy shield is what you were referring to, I would absolutely kill for rebounder.

On a completely unrelated note (and I feel REALLY stupid for asking this), does anyone know exactly how large the cone is? I mean, I know it has a range of 10 m, but how far does it extend from left to right at 10 m? Even after playing with this build for a few days, I can't really figure it out (our graphic isn't as distinct as Vanguard's version of Flamethrower). I also can't be 100% certain, but it sometimes feels like I'm hitting targets to the side and even slightly behind me. I'm pretty sure this is true bc I found out the hard way that even a carefully positioned flamethrower is really hard to safely use on the shield phase of Stormcaller and Firebrand.

Hm, I'm assuming there's a typo seeing how we don't benefit from 2 pc eliminator at all. Did you mean 2 piece PvP Combat medic? That would be another 3 seconds for a total of 18 seconds when combined with 2pc PvE Supercommando. If the super energy shield is what you were referring to, I would absolutely kill for rebounder.

On a completely unrelated note (and I feel REALLY stupid for asking this), does anyone know exactly how large the cone is? I mean, I know it has a range of 10 m, but how far does it extend from left to right at 10 m? Even after playing with this build for a few days, I can't really figure it out (our graphic isn't as distinct as Vanguard's version of Flamethrower). I also can't be 100% certain, but it sometimes feels like I'm hitting targets to the side and even slightly behind me. I'm pretty sure this is true bc I found out the hard way that even a carefully positioned flamethrower is really hard to safely use on the shield phase of Stormcaller and Firebrand.

Yeah you caught my error. It's two piece Combat Medic plus 2 piece Combat Tech bonus. This is what I use. You get the bonus shield plus the stats are pretty close. You will have to sub out one of the mods to get rid of the Alacrity.

I have no idea about the cone shape with the way the game's server reacts in pvp you just can't tell unless you do a test on three guys having each stand at different positions you would then test it. However, both the PFT and the Pulse Cannon have the same raidus but the Pulse cannon shows it better. Sometimes people will run through your flame thrower, but you won't know it until you see them slowed beside you.

I hate that one boss in the FP with the three robots and the reflective shields. On my Scoundrel and on my AP I am always getting hammered.

Edited by TheOpf

I think It's 10m length and 5m width, not sure though. I've specced back to AP for 2 days. I'm really missing RS burst and I think the DPS of AP depends on the number of targets you encounter. The flexibility of Extreme Prototype made me spec back. The only downside in this spec is reaching high numbers with RS, but the heat management is better and conducive to maximize all skills.

Vanguard forum has a thread on this spec utilizing no pft/pulse generator. (terminal velocity)

Rb is a good component, gotta maximize the value of the slows and hydraulic override. I switched to this from 2/31/10 and while you're a little less durable, it is more efficient & slammy than the combustible cylinder adv prot spec. You lose a lot if/when you want to use ion cell, that's the other drawback I have found. Still undecided but enjoying the playstyle.