Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Why is Starfighter so unpopular?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Why is Starfighter so unpopular?

Banthabreeder's Avatar


Banthabreeder
06.26.2019 , 04:25 PM | #11
For me, until recently, playing GSF did nothing for your character so I didnt' play. Meaning, I didn't get upgraded gear or components for my character(s), only my ship. I'm not sure if you can level your character up; ie: going from level 10 to level 30, but I don't think so. It's like logging out of already established MMO and playing an entirely different game.

The idea behind them making GSF an Ossus weekly is the first time you actually get something for participating, a Masterwork Crystal, which are needed to upgrade your gear. Other than that there was no reason to play it, except for the fun of it. They should have enacted that a long time ago so people would get used to playing it in previous expansions. If they don't do it again, in 6.0, you can really expect to see a droppage of players participating in GSF.

I think similar results for the previous space missions on rails. Again, there you only got stuff to upgrade your ship, not your character.

I agree both are kinda fun, however, without a free space simulator that allows you to practice flying and shooting without your teammates yelling and cussing at you or vote kicking you out, there is not much reason to play it. The tutorial for GSF is broke and doesn't really help you learn either.
“Don’t call me a mindless philosopher, you overweight glob of grease.”

UmbralSpirit's Avatar


UmbralSpirit
06.26.2019 , 04:34 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by SaerethDL View Post
It's more like a mini game and less like a feature like Jump To Lightspeed update in star wars galaxies.
Pretty much this, GSF is only slightly better than the on-rails space combat no one loves so much wich means it's still bad.

aerockyul's Avatar


aerockyul
06.26.2019 , 04:47 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Banthabreeder View Post
For me, until recently, playing GSF did nothing for your character so I didnt' play. Meaning, I didn't get upgraded gear or components for my character(s), only my ship. I'm not sure if you can level your character up; ie: going from level 10 to level 30, but I don't think so. It's like logging out of already established MMO and playing an entirely different game.

The idea behind them making GSF an Ossus weekly is the first time you actually get something for participating, a Masterwork Crystal, which are needed to upgrade your gear. Other than that there was no reason to play it, except for the fun of it. They should have enacted that a long time ago so people would get used to playing it in previous expansions. If they don't do it again, in 6.0, you can really expect to see a droppage of players participating in GSF.

I think similar results for the previous space missions on rails. Again, there you only got stuff to upgrade your ship, not your character.

I agree both are kinda fun, however, without a free space simulator that allows you to practice flying and shooting without your teammates yelling and cussing at you or vote kicking you out, there is not much reason to play it. The tutorial for GSF is broke and doesn't really help you learn either.
This is one of the few things I appreciate about GSF--the GSF pilots are NOT like that, by and large. The only people that are like that are generally the same people who are like that in ground pvp and the trolls in fleet chat. Even then it's not nearly the same because unlike in ground pvp where they can go hide and not help and type out insults, in GSF they'll crash if they do the same.

A lot of pilots know they're in a niche part of the game and want more people to join and have fun. They understand it's already hard enough for people to get over the steep learning curve and severely wet-noodle starting ships that they don't need to make it worse by chasing people away with standard PvP toxicity you see elsewhere.

I've seen a lot of times where these guys will ask/suggest their own team to lay off the spawn points of the opposite team because they understand how deflating it is to be on the other side and it's really hard to get those people to want to come back.

If anything, lately the toxic people are the people farming those Masterwork crystals who are pissy because they "have" to be there and they get angry when they can't get 3 wins in 3 matches.
Keeya, Lill'ya, Ainyalah, Vaisis, Selauna, Maria Brink, Wrathiva
Kahntara, Kaytee'roxx, Leczee Eko'va, Misphire
Kharaava, Jaista, Katie Bee, Altheeka Referrals

ForfiniteStories's Avatar


ForfiniteStories
06.26.2019 , 04:50 PM | #14
I don't know what server you're on, but GSF is the second most popular activity on Star Forge. The first being regular PvP.

DarkTergon's Avatar


DarkTergon
06.26.2019 , 05:31 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by ForfiniteStories View Post
I don't know what server you're on, but GSF is the second most popular activity on Star Forge. The first being regular PvP.


I was looking for a PMSL emote, but there does't seem to be one, so can i just leave these here
No Idea if people use these, but if so, here's my referral link
http://www.swtor.com/r/jFXFFQ

AJediKnight's Avatar


AJediKnight
06.26.2019 , 05:32 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by aerockyul View Post
This is one of the few things I appreciate about GSF--the GSF pilots are NOT like that, by and large. The only people that are like that are generally the same people who are like that in ground pvp and the trolls in fleet chat. Even then it's not nearly the same because unlike in ground pvp where they can go hide and not help and type out insults, in GSF they'll crash if they do the same.

A lot of pilots know they're in a niche part of the game and want more people to join and have fun. They understand it's already hard enough for people to get over the steep learning curve and severely wet-noodle starting ships that they don't need to make it worse by chasing people away with standard PvP toxicity you see elsewhere.

I've seen a lot of times where these guys will ask/suggest their own team to lay off the spawn points of the opposite team because they understand how deflating it is to be on the other side and it's really hard to get those people to want to come back.

If anything, lately the toxic people are the people farming those Masterwork crystals who are pissy because they "have" to be there and they get angry when they can't get 3 wins in 3 matches.
I don't think I've ever seen toxicity in GSF. People just seem to take their lumps and move on. It's a very professional, very focused atmosphere.
€[]°[]☲☲☲[]ị::ị¶Œ(▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀)

Zerileth's Avatar


Zerileth
06.26.2019 , 05:37 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by ForfiniteStories View Post
I don't know what server you're on, but GSF is the second most popular activity on Star Forge. The first being regular PvP.
Riiiiight..... Anything to support this? If I had to bet, I'd say for Star Forge PVE and RP are the most popular.

GSF doesn't offer any single missions and there's really no decent tutorial. Remember, PVE is the starting tutorial for ground PVP and there's plenty of it.

I loved the TIE fighter games and played them like crazy. Great single player missions and great tutorials. Eventually I PVP'd in the last one, Xwing Alliance. Sadly, Bioware doesn't think these things through.
7.0 Return To Kashyyyk
IGN: "Bioware sees soaring profits with new SWTOR expansion, Return to Kashyyyk."

Pirana's Avatar


Pirana
06.26.2019 , 05:41 PM | #18
There's a number of reasons. I'll list a few that some have probably already touched on:

*Mostly PvP, a lot of people don't PvP, so you already lost that crowd, big oops
*Space on rails. We had this back in the 80's, this iteration isn't much better than those arcade games. See SWG's flight system. For a game that's over fifteen years old, SWG's free flight smokes this game
*Controls aren't favorable, but that's also a learning curve
*It does nothing to enhance your gear score, which is what most new mmo's are all about
*It also doesn't help that it wasn't around when the game first launched, which in retrospect, could be a good thing
*Hasn't been updated in quite awhile. I don't recall the last time something regarding this portion of the game was actually added

There are simply too many reasons why this part of the game isn't as popular as it could be.
The Journey Is Often Greater Than The Destination

foxmob's Avatar


foxmob
06.26.2019 , 05:44 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Banthabreeder View Post
The idea behind them making GSF an Ossus weekly is the first time you actually get something for participating, a Masterwork Crystal, which are needed to upgrade your gear. Other than that there was no reason to play it, except for the fun of it. They should have enacted that a long time ago so people would get used to playing it in previous expansions. If they don't do it again, in 6.0, you can really expect to see a droppage of players participating in GSF.
F-that. F-it hard. F-it in its ear, its good ear!

The absolute worst thing about gearing in this stage of the game is being forced to do content you don't want to do in order to do things you do want to do. and I'm not complaining about a grind. I'm complaining that GSF has literally nothing to do with my character, his stats, or anything. So tying a highly valuable crystal to GSF in order to gear my character is a horrible idea. maybe you enjoy all of the fresh meat roaming aimlessly around in GSF hoping to walk into a weekly, but as a traditional PvPer, I F-ing hate it. Nobody in a ranked match wants someone there who doesn't know what he's doing and isn't properly geared, but here's the thing: you can fail 50 times and get your crystal in ranked. If you go do it in PvE (the game mode the player wanted it for), he'd never get it at all because he's not good enough to down vet mode queen. ergo: he poisons the ranked scene. HTF is that a good idea?

yes. I have much anger over that ever-changing weekly. it's literally the opposite of their 6.0 motto (play your way). and it's probably the impetus for that 6.0 slogan.
Krack

MingusPho's Avatar


MingusPho
06.26.2019 , 06:58 PM | #20
I've tried on more than one occasion to get into gsf and it never caught on for me. Basically it came down to the following reasons:

1) The Ships: They're just not starwarsy enough for me. They look too generic and lack that iconic star wars appeal. They basically feel like bicycles for rent at a cheap resort.

2) Combat framing: The overall look on screen feels off to me compared to games that really nail space combat. Battlefront gets this right and even older games like Freespace, so why can't SWTOR?

3) No PVE: I was hoping for flashpoints in space with ships performing trinity roles of healer, dps, and tank. I just knew there would be trench runs of some kind, escort missions, and maybe some search and destroy objectives. Solely running it as pvp in space was a complete turnoff. Some solo missions would have been nice too. There's no way to practice before jumping into a match, its just a mess imo.

4) Companions: where do I begin? Are they back at base advising me? Are they beside me in the cockpit? Are they flying beside me? I didn't really get their involvement at all. Also really wished I could choose from my whole list of comps instead of whoever these guys are they introduce.

Essentially it just doesn't play like a traditional space shooter experience, feels confusing and perhaps hastily thrown together. As far as star wars experiences go, they dropped the ball on this one. I wanted to feel like Luke getting set up for his attack run. Instead I just want to do something else soon after I enter a match.