Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why is Starfighter so unpopular?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Why is Starfighter so unpopular?

AJediKnight
06.26.2019 , 01:52 PM | #1
I just don't get it. Coming as someone for which this content is "new" (IE, I played at launch and never experienced Starfighter Combat until 2 weeks ago), it's an infinitely more approachable, more personal skill-based form of endgame content than is PvP (you can debate this back and forth all day, but I think PvP in SWTOR is very much team-reliant, as opposed to skill-derived), and it's damned easy to get into. I mean, complete that first 'introduction to starfighter' mission and you basically have enough fleet experience to kit out a whole ship (or do enough to render it respectable, at least).

I understand that 'twitchy' gameplay like this isn't for everyone, but I really feel like, for what SF is (an arena-style space mode), it's a darned slick experience that should be vastly more popular. I really *feel* like I'm in Star Wars, in an actual dogfight when I'm zipping around in my Sting - it hasn't for even a moment gotten old, and I don't feel nearly as frustrated when losing as I do with regular PvP. Just seems strange that so few people agree with that sentiment, it would appear...
[][]☲☲☲[]ị::ị(▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀)

jedimasterjac
06.26.2019 , 01:55 PM | #2
I don't like space combat games. I didn't get into this MMO for space combat.

I feel like it's a niche that doesn't really apply to a huge portion of this game's playerbase.
Quote: Originally Posted by Grand Master Yoda
We are what they grow beyond. That is the burden of all masters.

merovejec
06.26.2019 , 02:07 PM | #3
I think its a great addition to the game, yet the people that pick up this game arent exactly looking for that kind of stuff. I loved all the Star Wars space simulators and this one is great as it has traits of those. Howvever, its up to the people and most of them are not up for it, for various reasons.
Merovejec
7 days of being a sub, try it! Refferal Link
Achievements 5.10 69015

DarkTergon
06.26.2019 , 03:20 PM | #4
I don't like it as it's basically PvP in space, and I don't like PvP. When it was first announced, a lot of people were hoping it would be PvE, something akin to what we had in SWG. I know they've improved it a lot, and it's better than it was, but at the end of the day, it's just PvP, which is just not everyones bag baby (austin powers voice)
No Idea if people use these, but if so, here's my referral link
http://www.swtor.com/r/jFXFFQ

MedleyMelody
06.26.2019 , 03:32 PM | #5
I'm pretty much a GSF addict

I've talked to buckets of people about GSF and why they don't like it and don't play it, and the most common thing I hear is that the learning curve is super steep and discourages people from taking the time to learn and master ships (and hence be a bit more competitive.) Bioware made great strides on this with their last round of GSF tweaks, but I think a lotta players are still stung on this point.

A bunch of us on the GSF forum have said an easy way to overcome this would be to just give players the ability for free flight on all of the maps, with all of the ships. Let them practice flying, toggling power buttons, and spitting missiles at things. In an ideal world there would be a PvE mode as part of this, but for now just the empty maps I think would be super good.

From the perspective of a GSF vet, I'd say only having two game modes, and four maps, makes it kinda boring after awhile. Don't get me wrong - I still love flying - but if there was more diversity I think players would stick with it for longer. You can def get a feeling of, "same ol' same ol' if you've been flying long enough.
Alexandra 70 SageMeagan 70 SharpshooterMedley 70 SentinelSariyah 70 Shadow
@>~~~ THE ELARIEL LEGACY ~~~<@
I lasted 21 minutes as "preferred" before renewing my sub. Damn you Bioware!

Sobekeus
06.26.2019 , 03:51 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by jedimasterjac View Post
I don't like space combat games. I didn't get into this MMO for space combat.

I feel like it's a niche that doesn't really apply to a huge portion of this game's playerbase.
Laughs in Star Wars

Oh wait, you're serious.
Link for Obsessive Compulsive Link Clicker Sufferers:

http://www.swtor.com/r/9dNGyR

DarkTergon
06.26.2019 , 03:51 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by MedleyMelody View Post

A bunch of us on the GSF forum have said an easy way to overcome this would be to just give players the ability for free flight on all of the maps, with all of the ships. Let them practice flying, toggling power buttons, and spitting missiles at things. In an ideal world there would be a PvE mode as part of this, but for now just the empty maps I think would be super good.

^^^^ That would be a great idea, if people could get used to it, learn the basics without being blown to pieces before they even fire, would definately encourage more people.
No Idea if people use these, but if so, here's my referral link
http://www.swtor.com/r/jFXFFQ

DavidAtkinson
06.26.2019 , 04:00 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by AJediKnight View Post
I just don't get it. Coming as someone for which this content is "new" (IE, I played at launch and never experienced Starfighter Combat until 2 weeks ago), it's an infinitely more approachable, more personal skill-based form of endgame content than is PvP (you can debate this back and forth all day, but I think PvP in SWTOR is very much team-reliant, as opposed to skill-derived), and it's damned easy to get into. I mean, complete that first 'introduction to starfighter' mission and you basically have enough fleet experience to kit out a whole ship (or do enough to render it respectable, at least).

I understand that 'twitchy' gameplay like this isn't for everyone, but I really feel like, for what SF is (an arena-style space mode), it's a darned slick experience that should be vastly more popular. I really *feel* like I'm in Star Wars, in an actual dogfight when I'm zipping around in my Sting - it hasn't for even a moment gotten old, and I don't feel nearly as frustrated when losing as I do with regular PvP. Just seems strange that so few people agree with that sentiment, it would appear...
The learning curve is quite hard... There aren't any proper tutorials in the game. In order to become good you have to fail hard.. and be fodder for good players.

People don't like this... and avoid it.

Before I went into PVP I learned GSF... I never regretted it. Played thousands of matches... and after you learn it, you will feel that it was worthwhile.

Flying those ships is in art.. trust me.

lightSaberAddiCt
06.26.2019 , 04:05 PM | #9
Personally I don't like the controls and it should have joystick control available. As soon as they add joystick support I will be playing the hell out of it.
Just Click It for Free Stuff I need the CC
http://www.swtor.com/r/Hj4n32

SaerethDL
06.26.2019 , 04:16 PM | #10
It's more like a mini game and less like a feature like Jump To Lightspeed update in star wars galaxies.
Get a FREE server transfer, FREE 7 days subscription, FREE inventory slot upgrade and other FREE goodies! CLICK HERE update* if you use my referral link (as a returning subscriber) or decide to subscribe and are on Satele Shan send me a PM with the referral name you used and I will give you 5+ Million Credits or more to get you started!