Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

I hate how they've done switching factions

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
I hate how they've done switching factions

IoNonSoEVero
06.26.2019 , 05:31 PM | #41
Quote: Originally Posted by xordevoreaux View Post
The dual quest lines in Everquest 2 to switch factions are long, and contain sub-quests to both damage one's original faction as well as support one's new faction, but there's only one quest, either way.

Sounds like people overall in this thread don't mind the idea of the ability to change factions, they just don't like the story wrapped around with it. No one promised that changing factions would be a sterile, easy situation.

That players must follow through with actions that they find distasteful, at least in my mind, adds to the entire distasteful process. It's not meant to be an on/off switch with no pain involved.
I don't think it has to be 'sterile and easy' but I also think it's implausible from a story standpoint that some PCs would even be accepted back in their old factions at this point, and I think that the way they've set it up is bogus.

I feel like if they wanted to let people switch sides, just do it. They figured it out with Iokath, why can't they do it anywhere else? None of this half-***ed sneakling around, or at least a choice about that.

Given a choice, most of my characters would have stayed Alliance and not even bothered with the other factions. Second choice, my Republic characters would have switched sides openly, as they did on Iokath. No subterfuge, no cloak and dagger routines, just saying straight up that they now support the other side, and dealing with whatever consequences might happen from that. Sterile and easy? No, but honest. It would be far more interesting to me to have the whole Republic screaming for the Hero of Tython's head now that she's an Imp.

Not to mention that from a story standpoint the Republic would have no reason to even trust a former Jedi who literally aligned with the Empire every single time the opportunity presented itself.

Also, when we talk about losing companions whether one is loyalist or saboteur there's also the actual intrinsic time sink of earning those companions, and the fact that one may have invested credits/time in raising their influence. If they do leave, right now one can get them back from the terminal for missions/crafting, at least, but will that always be the case? People put a lot of time and effort into building an actual Alliance and now that's all going.

MikeCobalt
06.26.2019 , 05:54 PM | #42
I think better then half of our comps are gonna have problems with this and our L.I.s are many of the Most Faction steadfast of them all so they "Wouldn't change, With Us" (Good bye to you, my love). Companions returning has probably been the most popular topic here and Reddit since before the Zakuul story ended and now here we are about to not only risk losing them away (Like before, again) but "Driving them Away" ourselves?? Not being here because of Dev. issues/ Poorly thought out story lines one thing; but losing them *Again because they Hate us is terrible.

BioWare has trouble putting out moderate (Small) sized updates on a schedule that is hardly acceptable already; add to that changing the original coding, faction and ability coding most, *Every Other facet SWTOR was based on adds *A lot More straws on the Camels back that it could just barely handle before. Even longer waits between smaller content drops (They can only do so much so fast, past history shows that) and the number of Bugs especially the main issues would also rise in a game that already ignores bugs.

I think this is gonna cause a lot of problems overall. Is this gonna be like Iokath where the faction change is Temporary (so it really isn't anything and doesn't matter, a Fake Change) or is this gonna be a very real issue, what kinda fallout is that gonna start? B.W. Offered "A lot" of Options in the Zakuul story they couldn't sustain, Even more Options in Iokath that further complicated their jobs (Players stories differentiating creating even more stories lines). From shoehorning 8 class's into 1 (one story's cheaper then eight) and using only a few Comps (Cheaper then all) to now story directions going every directions (Wayy more then 8) They keep offering options when they couldn't afford the most basic.

Esron
06.26.2019 , 11:06 PM | #43
Quote: Originally Posted by MikeCobalt View Post
I think better then half of our comps are gonna have problems with this and our L.I.s are many of the Most Faction steadfast of them all so they "Wouldn't change, With Us" (Good bye to you, my love). Companions returning has probably been the most popular topic here and Reddit since before the Zakuul story ended and now here we are about to not only risk losing them away (Like before, again) but "Driving them Away" ourselves?? Not being here because of Dev. issues/ Poorly thought out story lines one thing; but losing them *Again because they Hate us is terrible.

BioWare has trouble putting out moderate (Small) sized updates on a schedule that is hardly acceptable already; add to that changing the original coding, faction and ability coding most, *Every Other facet SWTOR was based on adds *A lot More straws on the Camels back that it could just barely handle before. Even longer waits between smaller content drops (They can only do so much so fast, past history shows that) and the number of Bugs especially the main issues would also rise in a game that already ignores bugs.

I think this is gonna cause a lot of problems overall. Is this gonna be like Iokath where the faction change is Temporary (so it really isn't anything and doesn't matter, a Fake Change) or is this gonna be a very real issue, what kinda fallout is that gonna start? B.W. Offered "A lot" of Options in the Zakuul story they couldn't sustain, Even more Options in Iokath that further complicated their jobs (Players stories differentiating creating even more stories lines). From shoehorning 8 class's into 1 (one story's cheaper then eight) and using only a few Comps (Cheaper then all) to now story directions going every directions (Wayy more then 8) They keep offering options when they couldn't afford the most basic.
Your last part kinda summons it up pretty well really... They cut the budget to the game, and then had to cut corners, 8 stories to 1 for all story, bug handling got even worse than it was from launch, content draugt that lasted to dang long and a skeleton crew that "didnt listen" to the players about what they wished for in the game cause they just didnt have the money to pull it off. Heck even the customer service was/is lousy.
*looks at EA with evil eyes"
So yeah this is what we now have, a HUUUGE mess of a story that has so many things wrong with them, only really suits one class and with no way out of the corner but to do a complette overhaul of the game and back to scratch ( which for me i wouldnt mind at all at this point )

Jesira
06.27.2019 , 08:51 AM | #44
Yeah I sort of regret going double-agent one one of my characters based on how it played out in this recent update. It feels like we're going to be forced to make ourselves look like idiots, and that's going to be what they call being a double agent. When you look at other double agents in Star Wars lore, they were smart, they didn't seem at all like they were a double agent and many times had their own agenda's and may have been double-agenting both sides but that does not appear to be the case here. Having us go to make a speech and asking us to sound like morons was lazy and uncomfortable, I couldn't do it and not from a standpoint of guilt, but from the standpoint of it being cringey. I hope this changes in Onslaught, but the first taste of it was pretty awful.
MORE ARCANN PLS

AJediKnight
06.27.2019 , 09:03 AM | #45
I would never betray the Empire, and would - fact - disavow all events of KOTFE/KOTET just to become a "normal" Sith again.
[][]☲☲☲[]ị::ị(▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀)