Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why is Starfighter so unpopular?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Why is Starfighter so unpopular?

Delani
06.28.2019 , 05:58 AM | #41
Quote: Originally Posted by Sarova View Post
This is exactly what getting into GSF is all about. I had absolutely no clue when I first tried it, but persevered as good-player-fodder in order to learn. I think that's the problem - most people want instant gratification, BUT GSF requires players to learn and practice and that takes time. I'm still not good (far from it) but at least now I have ships that are well equipped and can actually be of use in fights now that I can blow enemies out of the sky & earn a medal or two.
Its very different than the rest of the game also, if people were atleast familiar with the controls and the movements more people would get into. Implementing GSF for PVE purposes would drastically help its popularity.

OlBuzzard
06.28.2019 , 06:34 AM | #42
Quote: Originally Posted by AJediKnight View Post
I just don't get it. Coming as someone for which this content is "new" (IE, I played at launch and never experienced Starfighter Combat until 2 weeks ago), it's an infinitely more approachable, more personal skill-based form of endgame content than is PvP (you can debate this back and forth all day, but I think PvP in SWTOR is very much team-reliant, as opposed to skill-derived), and it's damned easy to get into. I mean, complete that first 'introduction to starfighter' mission and you basically have enough fleet experience to kit out a whole ship (or do enough to render it respectable, at least).

I understand that 'twitchy' gameplay like this isn't for everyone, but I really feel like, for what SF is (an arena-style space mode), it's a darned slick experience that should be vastly more popular. I really *feel* like I'm in Star Wars, in an actual dogfight when I'm zipping around in my Sting - it hasn't for even a moment gotten old, and I don't feel nearly as frustrated when losing as I do with regular PvP. Just seems strange that so few people agree with that sentiment, it would appear...
I use to love space combat games. My first multiplayer game was a space combat game. But unless this one has changed .. you're pretty much on a "rail" being drug through the obstacle course with very little control or maneuverability. So frankly I quit after the first year. I wont go back either.
(████████████████████████████]:|█[ioi]█[|||████]|█|

Pirana
06.28.2019 , 06:52 AM | #43
Quote: Originally Posted by Delani View Post
Its very different than the rest of the game also, if people were atleast familiar with the controls and the movements more people would get into. Implementing GSF for PVE purposes would drastically help its popularity.
This is one of, if not the biggest issues, there's almost no PvE. Why the devs chose to neglect the PvE'ers makes little to no sense. I have no idea what the percentage regarding PvP v PvE for the player base is, but I'd guess that it's somewhere in the neighborhood of 65% - 35% in favor of PvE'ers and even if it's closer than that, you're still neglecting over half the player base that may try it, then once they find it's PvP, you've probably lost the bulk of them.

Implement some PvE aspects and no doubt its popularity will grow.
The Journey Is Often Greater Than The Destination

CaptainBlackjack
06.28.2019 , 08:33 AM | #44
I believe it has been said enough in this thread to be a good reason for the Devs to fix it
"THERE IS NO TRAINING SIMULATOR"

I dont think any military orginization would ever put untrained pilots into ships and send them off to die losing the pilot and the ship. It really is not unreasonable to expect this game to have that option i mean after all we have class training areas to improve our skills before we enter the galaxy of dangers and warfare. Why neglect the trianing of valuble assests like ship pilots.
“I find your lack of faith disturbing."

Sarova
06.28.2019 , 08:44 AM | #45
Quote: Originally Posted by Delani View Post
This is a very good idea - I still have trouble with some of the abilities and what does what in the various ships I have so getting used to them in a less hostile PvE environment would be a huge help.
Iokath Needs Customised Quinns - Make it Happen || Quinn Treats™
Add an option to switch off vendor icons
My Rishi
Magical Clicky Link