3.0 Mercenary/Commando DPS by Hotwired

Gyronamics

Your aim values when fully geared will vary depending on your choice of augmentation.

At the moment I am using 3x Accuracy augments instead of Reflex augments.

This puts me at 99.99 accuracy and allows me 5 slots of surge/alacrity to play with instead of the usual 4.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you rate using more alacrity?

I would have thought the loss of the other stats would hamper the results for 0.10sec less or so.

All I have currently is 1 piece of alacrity in a 192 earpiece (111 stat) giving me like 3.29% or something with the passive 2%

Your aim values when fully geared will vary depending on your choice of augmentation.

At the moment I am using 3x Accuracy augments instead of Reflex augments.

This puts me at 99.99 accuracy and allows me 5 slots of surge/alacrity to play with instead of the usual 4.

What you think about 3 accurancy augments, got u better parse with this configuration ?

Sorry for my bad english

I will do a full list of my gear later with the mods and augs on them to see if I'm where I should be I seem to be hitting more now maybe not as a high as it could be though, as the resurrected gear you get the stats on them ain't good

Thank you all in helping with this as it got very frustrating lol

Also just a quick question with tanno Vic giving you a bonus do any other companions also give you any bonus that's usefull when they are maxed?

What you think about 3 accurancy augments, got u better parse with this configuration ?

Sorry for my bad english

I'm not putting any time into highscore parsing, my current parse was done without a mainhand from revan HM and until I get that last piece it's not worth trying to do any better because its already freakish high.

The reason why 3 accuracy augments is this, anything over 100% accuracy is a waste of your stats. So you trade the useless Accuracy and some Aim to get more Surge/Alacrity.

7 x 120 Accuracy Enhancements/Ear/Implant = 840 = 100.80 Accuracy

6 x 120 Accuracy Enhancements/Ear/Implant + 1 x 52 Accuracy Augment = 772 = 100.14 Accuracy

Lost 52 Aim for 120 Surge/Alacrity

5 x 120 Accuracy Enhancements/Ear/Implant + 3 x 52 Accuracy Augment = 756 = 99.99 Accuracy

Lost 156 Aim for 240 Surge/Alacrity

And yes it is worth it.

Also just a quick question with tanno Vic giving you a bonus do any other companions also give you any bonus that's usefull when they are maxed?

You get....

+1% surge

+1% crit

+1% accuracy

+? health

+? healing recieved

...to all your characters by maxing out the companions on one character (or maxing one of each companion type across your legacy, same thing)

Edited by Gyronamics

Ok I maxed Aric and moved mods a little here's what I look like I had a advanced anodyne reflex stim active at the time.

Stats

Aim 4140

Power 1083

Accu 100.10% accu rating 268

Crit chance 25.21% crit rating 624

Crit multi 65.16% surge 274

Items

Massassi boltblaster ear

Res eliminator mk-v implant x2

Deceiver boltblaster bracers

Ruusan relic x 2

Orange gun modded

Res eliminator generator

Res eliminator helm

Res eliminator chest

Red eliminator hands

Massassi boltblaster waist

Massassi boltblaster legs

Massassi boltblaster boots

I'm auged with

12 aim augs

2 power augs

Crystals

Power x2

Thank you all for your thoughts and help.

Do you think I am somewhere roughly where I should be now?

Did pretty much the same with the crystal swaps out of curiosity incase my rotation is rubbish what rotation do you run? Mine is

Opener

Gr,scc,dr,en,vb,bs,gr,bs,gr,hib,dr,gr,bs

Priorities

Dr,en,hib,gr,bs,to

Many useful things in the original post of this thread :)

There is no fixed rotation for Gunnery just a short and simple priority list:

1) Get the Curtain of Fire proc by using Grav Round

2) Use the following abilities if they are available:

• Vortex Bolt
  • Demo Round ONLY on a target with Gravity Vortex from Grav Round
  • High Impact Bolt ONLY with 5 stacks of Charged Barrel from using Grav Round
  • Electronet

3) Use the Curtain of Fire buffed Boltstorm

4) Use Grav Round if energy is available otherwise use Hammer Shot

And that's it, I could spin it out for longer but it's really that simple and that's a key reason it's popular.

As an opener I like to do Vortex Bolt -> Electronet + Supercharged Cell + Adrenal -> Boltstorm without Curtain of Fire proc -> Instant (because of Vortex Bolt) Grav Round. At that point I'm at #1 on the priority list and I go from there.

Remember to charge Supercharge to 10 stacks before any fight using Med Shot.

And the reason you don't try to chuck demo round out instantly is because with a 6 piece set bonus demo round will autocrit if you use boltstorm first.

Edited by Gyronamics

I am really struggling to get over 4k in either gunnery or assault. I want to make sure that it is not my gear. I am in full 192 resurrected gear with the 6 pc. set bonus. I have a couple of mods/enhancements that are not optimized. I have all Aim Augments with 1 Accuracy. My stats are as follows:

Aim: 4397

Power: 1453

Accuracy: 100.28%

Crit: 446

Surge: 222

Alac: 111

I am just trying to figure out if it is my rotation (therefore keep practicing) or if there is something fundamentally wrong with the way I am geared.

I'm the same I've raised my dps a lot but still not getting over 3.6k I have now purchased some andrenals to use as well but I've also noticed that the guys doing high dps use keyboard and some people like myself use mouse so maybe there something in that?

noticed that the guys doing high dps use keyboard and some people like myself use mouse so maybe there something in that?

Clicking probably is your problem, yes. Moving the cursor from ability to ability may take a small amount of time that you'd hardly think relevant, but it adds up. If your fingers are poised over the appropriate keys in anticipation of the ability activation, you cut a lot of hesitation from your rotation and simultaneously bring up your APM - and more abilities used in a certain time frame is, quite literally, more damage over time.

I recently started playing again and the listed rotation is very nice, really like the mobility in boss fights.

I wonder what is considered good entry-level (186 com gear) DPS? I am now doing 3,4K on dummy with 96,5% accuracy. Is it worth raising accuracy more or is it good enough until 192?

So I'm failry new to this stuff of getting into the optimal usage of abilities.

I am using Greedo's rotation and got it keybind on the 12 buttons of my logitech mouse. That is still getting a bit used to but without any Alacrity (we had 2% from an ability but gone now) or low alacrity in my current 186 gear with some 192 comm items 100% acc I feel I can't reach the suggested APM of 40.

And thinking about it.. feels like that can't be reached without alacrity investment. Now I'm not a theorycrafter by any means.

But as I have read up on it 40 APM seems to be the abilities used per minute with the GCD of 1,5 secs (60/1,5), but then factoring in your Full Auto / Unload that is a 3 second continous cast KEEP your fingers from the buttons! ability that can be used 4 times every minute then without alacrity your best APM seems to be 40 - 12 (4x3 seconds) = 28.

Best I reached sofar is 32 APM with some Alacrity (dunno how much at the moment being at work) and that is with me being a slowpoke on button mashing I feel.

Anything I am missing or not understanding?

Edited by TrooperSteg

#1 thing for all rotation issues is to link to a dummy parse you've done, damage is quite irrelevant since its gear and RNG linked but a parse will show if you are keeping the timings correctly and not blowing your resources out.

#2 Greedo?

Edited by Gyronamics

#1 thing for all rotation issues is to link to a dummy parse you've done, damage is quite irrelevant since its gear and RNG linked but a parse will show if you are keeping the timings correctly and not blowing your resources out.

#2 Greedo?

#1 I have some parses, but done at the ops dummy on fleet (and had no idea how to set those numbers and just kept dps'ing till I found that my timing of the energy fillers where off and I ran out..

But here is my best parse of that (not many done, so I know I need some work / practise

http://parsely.io/parser/view/19919/2 (third one)

And I swapped around the 2 debuffs: Serrated bolt and Incendiary Round as I found it easier to have them swapped for normal use on golds in open world (opening with the serrated bolt from the normal rotation and then following rest of the rotation)

#2 Greeto (typo sorry for that) here is his post in the Marisi thread: http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=7903435&postcount=60

Also done with the Zorz opener (without the stim and andrenal, was keeping those for ops as I was low on funds, but with 4 buff types)

Thanks for any help and time you are putting in for me!

Edited by TrooperSteg

I can tell that wasn't a controlled parse from the fact that you never used Hammer Shots once in over 300k.

Your APM will increase if you queue abilities up (start hitting the next ability during the GCD of the previous one/during the cast of the previous one - do not do this during Full Auto)

17:53:21.353 Incendiary Round

17:53:22.983 Recharge Cells

17:53:24.568 Supercharged Cell

17:53:25.517 Full Auto

Recharge Cells and Supercharged Cell both take zero time to activate but it took you 3s to activate them and get onto the next ability.

You need to spend a lot more time on the dummy to get to a point where you can sustain the rotation you chose infinitely. Say 5 minutes and still be in the maximum regen zone of your resource bar at the end of it.

I would strongly advise you read the rotation guide in this thread which is not the same rotation but starts you off on an easy sustainable rotation then shows you what to swap to increase damage.

Rotation Notes:

The most important thing about Assault is that you only get bonus energy generation if you use free Mag Bolts on burning targets.

You only get free Mag Bolts by using Charged Bolts, Full Auto or Hail of Bolts every 7.5s.

And the burning targets will only be guaranteed by using Incendiary Round every 15s to keep it up.

Also need to mix in Assault Plastique, Full Auto and Serrated Bolt because they do quite a lot of damage.

Unfortunately this means a very strict rotation core but around that we can fill in all the other abilities we want to increase damage.

Only two abilities are worth using as resets during a rotation, Charged Bolts and Full Auto.

Charged Bolts has no CD but is less efficient therefore we want to use Full Auto with its better damage and resource efficiency as much as possible. You can only use Full Auto once per 15s and in 15s you get two chances of free Mag Bolts. So one triggered by Charged Bolts and one by Full Auto.

Here then is an example of an effective rotation I created which is infinitely repeatable. Of particular note is that you can do almost everything on the move except the Serrated Bolt cast which nevertheless can be forced instant with your Tech Override.

Before any fight or during fight downtime remember to charge your Supercharge to 10 using Med Shot and for the basic rotation you consider it as an adrenal to increase damage. Advanced use looks at it slightly differently.

GCD01 Incendiary Round (debuffing the target and applying the elemental DoT)

GCD02 Mag Bolt (making next Charged Bolts instant)

GCD03 Charged Bolts (making next Mag Bolt free)

GCD04 Mag Bolt (generating 5 energy)

GCD05 Serrated Bolt (debuffing the target and applying internal DoT)

GCD06 Assault Plastique

GCD07 ------ Filler Slot

GCD08 Full Auto (making next Mag Bolt free)

GCD09 Full Auto continued

GCD10 ------ Filler Slot

That would then continue

GCD01 Incendiary Round (reapplying the elemental DoT)

GCD02 Mag Bolt (generating 5 energy and making next Charged Bolts instant)

GCD05 Serrated Bolt (reapplying internal DoT)

GCD06 Assault Plastique

GCD07 ------ Filler Slot

GCD10 ------ Filler Slot

Filler slots will be Hammer Shot and Electronet when available for an unstressful rotation.

Advanced Assault

To hit the big numbers you cannot merely cruise with a neutral rotation, we need to be taking advantage of our resource cooldowns and instead of using Hammer Shot as a filler we need to be using something with more punch.

The ability we will use to generate more damage in the filler slots instead of Hammer Shot is Charged Bolts.

Like Hammer Shot it generates 1 stack of Supercharge, that means 1 of the 10 energy generated by Supercharged Cell can be counted against the cost of Charged Bolts making it in theory cost 14 energy.

Also 1/10 of the damage and damage boost of Supercharged Cell can be considered as part of what you get as damage from using Charged Bolts.

There is one other ability you can replace Hammer Shot with and that is Explosive Round. Any target with any DoT of yours that falls under 30% will proc Hyper Assault Rounds (with a limit of 15s). The damage increase and the energy decrease makes Explosive Round hit as hard as Assault Plastique but for only 10 energy.

Of course unlike Hammer Shot these come with a cost.

To counter this we need to use our three resource cooldowns which are NOT necessary with my basic rotation using 2 Hammer Shot.

• Reserve Powercell - 0 energy cost on next ability, best used on Full Auto for the maximum possible energy saving.
  • Recharge Cells - always take the tier 1 utility Cell Capacitor to instantly generate 15 more energy
  • Supercharged cell - remember this generates 10 energy

In brief you want to use Reserve Powercell and Supercharged Cell to counter small energy drops and do this as frequently as possible.

Recharge Cells removes so much energy that it demands that you perform heavily filled rotations before using it, this may or may not be something you do as part of your normal rotation or something you hold back on for a heavier damage period.

Expect to have to practice this a lot before it can be considered consistent in a fight.

Start with the basic rotation, be able to kill a dummy of any health without crashing out and progress to filling with heavier damage abilities and working in your resource cooldowns to balance the energy.

However if you overenergy after using your resource cooldowns the rotation suffers enormously. Your bonus regen relies on your rotation continuing.

In that scenario you're doomed to making fast decisions on what you can drop.

The skeleton rotation:

GCD01 Incendiary Round (reapplying the elemental DoT)

GCD02 Mag Bolt (generating 5 energy and making next Charged Bolts instant)

GCD05 ------ Filler Slot

GCD06 ------ Filler Slot

GCD07 ------ Filler Slot

GCD10 ------ Filler Slot

And in this case all fillers would be Hammer Shot.

You save 30 energy by dropping Serrated Bolt and Assault Plastique but that's what you can claw back by spending minimal resources if you are in a bad spot with energy but it's not quite bad enough to suffer spamming Hammer Shot for an eternity.

However as I encourage people to realise, all true rotations are identical. So whatever you want to do, memorise it, get faster at using abilities and....

Get used to doing standard parses.

#1 Get a ships dummy

#2 use armour debuff modules

#3 set dummy health to 500k, 1m or 1.5m using a health module

All of that has to be purchased for your ship under Legacy tab -> Global unlocks -> Other

The modules are purchased from the repair droid you buy for your ship.

Failing that borrow someone elses ship which has a dummy and vendor droid.

That is a standard parse and helps you because the dummy is fully debuffed + killable so sub-30% damage boosts kick in. It also means other people can compare it more easily.

Anyway, those are areas for improvement, when you can do a full parse without crashing your rotation we can fine tune it.

Edited by Gyronamics

Thanks!

After my post about Greeto's rotation I did notice that I was totally focussed on getting his basic rotation done and not doing the Ammo Conservation fillers. thus not swapping out some CB's for HS.

And I also noticed that I put in the EN on a standard postition in my rotation to use every time it's up.

So I will need to practise with the fillers more and key binding my Recharge Cell / Tech Override so not to waste to much time on those when I want to use them.

Greeto's (Volcan) rotation:

Ammo Burning:

CB > IR > SB > FA > CB > MB > AP > CB > MB >

Ammo Conservation:

filler (a) > IR > SB > FA > filler (b) > MB > filler © > CB > MB

(a): CB, HS, EN, ER (sub 30%), (AP-- only if a 'c' filler emergency was used)

(b): CB, HS, EN, ER (sub 30%), (AP-- only if a 'c' filler emergency was used)

©: AP, (HS only in emergencies)

What I have keybound to my mouse buttons G9-G20 in sets of 3

CB > SB > IR

EN > SSC > RPC (so this set of 3 is not always used)

FA > CB > MB

AP > CB > MB

I could use my 3rd mouse button to open up a 2nd batch of those 12 button's (currently set for my companion abilities but not used anyway) and get my less used abilities under there like the EN, SSC, RPC and RC, TO.

Now only to get a better setup with the filler abilities in there aswell and getting the feel for it.

I also will get that ship's dummy and the needed stuff for that ASAP. (Thanks for the additional info on the items needed to get from the repair droid, didn't know that yet!)

Edit: I noticed something about that Adrenal buff. I know it's in the (zorz) opener, but do you use it as often as possible? Or only in the opener or only with each downtime during fights?

Edited by TrooperSteg

but do you use it as often as possible? Or only in the opener or only with each downtime during fights?

You use adrenals as the fight demands.

If its not a complex boss then you use it on the pull then on cooldown. Otherwise it might be delayed for specific points of a fight.

A dummy is not a complex fight, you use it as often as possible. HOWEVER if you are playing for hiscore parses on the dummy then you plan your parsing to use your adrenal at the most beneficial point which may not be exactly when it becomes available again.

Here's my parse for the gunnery spec. My crit is at 468, my aim is at 3500 range, using all power augs, my acc is 109.08, my bonus damage is 1871.2 with a fourpiece bonus. If you need any other information, lemme know. :)

Yet I'm not able to get past 3.6. Advice?

My Parse

Here's my parse for the gunnery spec. My crit is at 468, my aim is at 3500 range, using all power augs, my acc is 109.08, my bonus damage is 1871.2 with a fourpiece bonus. If you need any other information, lemme know. :)

Yet I'm not able to get past 3.6. Advice?

My Parse

Purple adrenals, purple stims, improved gear, accuracy needs to be 100/110, you're missing 1% overall by being short there.

Hopefully you already have all 4 class buffs.

When you compare to high parses you need to understand what they are using on top of high parses being freak parses.

Edited by Gyronamics

My gear is all 192 with only a few mods unomotimzed. Yes, I do have all four class buffs. Being down 1% acc, is it messing up my overall dps that much? I normally don't do adrenals on a dummy, though I might try a stim at least.

As for comparing my parse to the others, yeah, I'm aware those are 'freak' parses. So is what I'm getting pretty good or could I reach higher?

I know there is not 'set' rotation for gunnery, but is there some things I should trigger before using my other attacks? For instance, I try to use Demolition Round before using Boltstrom, should I be doing that or no? Should my crit be increased?

any advice is welcome. ^_^