Commando Healing

haksilence

Hello,

what ive found as of late is some oddities involving the comando's healing when it comes to which stats to stack. i had started out with a mix of power and aim augments to what i believed to be optimal. but recently i took sometime and experimented while parsing my healing for 10 minute intervals (longer than a standard parse to ensure the accuracy with spikes and such that often come with healing rotations) what i came up with was shocking.

i had a theory that aim would be the better stat considering that it increases your healing and increases your crit chance so my plan was to replace my power augments with aim ones and then re-parse and the dip that i took in heals was astonishing. this may have been the fact that i was already at a 43~% tech crit chance so maby if i dumped some crit for power when stacking aim augments it may be better (but since im still not full BH i dont have the resources to min/max like that yet.)

but as well after checking the all aim augments i switched all the aim ones out for power and it was an immediate and sizable increase. like over 250 points of healing per second on the low end.

can anyone confirm or reject my findings? as well does anyone know if it would be more beneficial to stack as much aim as possible (due to the commandos 9% increase) and then dump the crit for power in the future?

I thought I remembered reading that pre-campaign level you can get a boost from stacking power, but campaign and above you'll see better returns from stacking aim.

Of course then you start changing around how much crit, surge, and alacrity you have on armor, mods, and enh's as well which may have something to do with it.

I thought I remembered reading that pre-campaign level you can get a boost from stacking power, but campaign and above you'll see better returns from stacking aim.

Of course then you start changing around how much crit, surge, and alacrity you have on armor, mods, and enh's as well which may have something to do with it.

This really shouldn't be possible. I'm not familiar with BH's specifically but aim/cunning/str/will are as good and continue to be as good as they have ever been. Do you guys get a +% aim talent anywhere? If so I'd say go with aim over power having run similar maths for my operative.

There's a commn misconception and I'm feeling like a broken record pointing it out but while mainstat has a DR curve for it's crit contribution it is...well almost a straight line/ and is as shown, entirely separate from crit rating.

So aim stays more or less as valuable as it is all the time. The question is whether or not power provides enough additional bonus healing to beat the extra crit chance.

Out of curiosity how much surge have you got? It would definitely affect the value of crit chance in this case. Regardless I don't think the difference aught to be anywhere near that drastic. Changing all my cunning augs to power ones results in a gain of 3 or so bonus healing. It wouldn't very far left or right of that for you guys.

Edited by CaptainApop

Agreed, i think what throws a wrench into everything is the stat distribution on campaign and beyond gear.

If you go totally for power or totally for aim you'll gimp yourself with the secondary stats.

Ex: is it better to go with a mod that has 68 aim 49 end or 53 aim 32 end 41 pow?

Agreed, i think what throws a wrench into everything is the stat distribution on campaign and beyond gear.

If you go totally for power or totally for aim you'll gimp yourself with the secondary stats.

Ex: is it better to go with a mod that has 68 aim 49 end or 53 aim 32 end 41 pow?

41 power everytime. It's not actually to do with the aim : power ratio but the amount of endurance hogging all the item budget.

Edited by CaptainApop

• 1 month later...

ive revised my strat. stacking all aim augments. the difference to my bonus healing is i lose out on like 6 bonus healing but gain a great deal of crit. as well im no longer dumping crit, its been brought to my attention that commando healing has a 15% boost to their crit multiplier (putting my own at around 93% so ive focused on getting a 45% tech crit chance and then the rest power but stacking aim augments.

this strat has been the most successfully and now im healing through TFB HM.

i would advise this to any commando healer. because with the 9% boost to aim the more aim you get the more you gain from it. (an increasing return) and critting is just to valuable to opt out for due to the high crit multiplier.

glad to see some good discussion im pretty sure im like the last commando healer left on Ebon Hawk. havent seen an endgame commando healer in ages.

i never take any piece of gear as it comes. it almost always needs tweeking and min maxing to get the gear right. alacrity is like poison to commandos. i always take the low endurance mods and enhancements because the 53 aim plus 41 power = 94 offensive stats while the 68 aim and (i think) 13 power= much lower offensive stats.

endurance is most likely the most useless stat in the game, even for tanking. (my main is a shadow tank)

I've done the math, and it's true that power for Combat Medics is superior to Aim into the high-end gear, at which point aim overtakes it (actually, crit gets there before aim does, but crit has issues as far as healing stats go). The *reason* aim overtakes power is not because power is on a DR (it's not), but because aim impacts critical chance. Once your power gets high enough, the value of a crit is sufficiently high that aim's miniscule contribution to critical chance pushes it above power in terms of overall value.

We just finished TFB HM last week too (that last fight just sucks, BOOOORING) and definitely agree that stacking aim augs is the way to go.

But the gear itemization on the new stuff seems like you need to buy 3 of everything to get the armor, mod, and enhancement you want. Next piece of gear I get i'm going to try and learn the new mod. Learning the 53A 41Pow from Blackhold was a godsend.

There is a massive amount of Theorycrafting and calculations about this topic which I will not attempt to recreate. Check other forums and mmo-mechanics.com if you want to.

the 'very' simplified idea is this:

All DPS and Heal classes with the exception of Sentinels and Shadows (and certain hybrids builds) have mainstat increases in their trees. These are usually 6% or 9%. There is also the 5% increase from Consular buff (but also a 5% increase to power from Knight buff so that by itself is not of huge significance in endgame). This increase is based upon the value of your base mainstat (i.e. your gear). As you will always have more mainstat than power you are getting more for your buck.

And on top of all that you are getting crit contribution, allowing you to take less critical rating which in turn can be used to better itemise your gear, even get more power that way.

As far as Sentinels and Shadows are concerned I know that Sentinels prefer power, and would assume that Shadows do as well but I do not know any shadow theorycrafters.

As far as hybrid builds go, they tend to be quite advanced and tricky to manage so the people running them usually know best what augments to go for.

Is Power better pre-Rakata? Possibly, but with the way gearing works nowadays I would not worry about that massively. I don't start optimising until 61 mods.

Edited by Darth_Dreselus

And on top of all that you are getting crit contribution, allowing you to take less critical rating which in turn can be used to better itemise your gear, even get more power that way.

This is the part I take exception to and I see people constantly claiming this sort of thing.

Crit rating and mainstat crit being on separate DR curves means that crit rating does not become less valuable at higher crit % levels (assuming the additional % comes from mainstat). If anything for healers the higher crit chances go, the more consistent crits become.

The only exception is potentially sorceror healers with their recklessness and force bending procs that give a 60% crit chance. Naturally any crit above 40% in this case will depreciate somewhat in value.

Do not take less crit rating just becuase your crit chance went above 40% >.>

Edited by CaptainApop