Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Napkin math + my opinion

LeonBraun
12.13.2011 , 04:49 PM | #21
Agreed. These whiners on the forums right now are completely disgusting and are the ones that give MMO communities a bad name.

benchpress
12.13.2011 , 04:50 PM | #22
complete BS!

bishup
12.13.2011 , 04:52 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Xenospheric View Post
So I'm bored sitting at work listening to all the whiners about how slow this is and how BioWare is horrible, blah blah, so I decided to do some rough math just to see approximately how many people there will be playing now.

So I'm taking some liberal approximations, but based on what I know about MMO's and also servers themselves, I'm assuming that each server that is coming up as "full" in the server list is hosting 2,000 people (lets say 1000 light side 1000 dark side). From my count, there are 73 "full" servers which would roughly mean that there are at least 146,000 playing on those servers alone. This is not counting the "medium", "high" servers.

Lets say you balloon the amount of people per full server to 5,000. That makes 365,000 users on all at once, first day. I work as a System Administrator for a living and you guys need to understand that controlling and maintaining a multitude of clusters for that many users is astronomical. Please realize that computers are not just magic and pixie dust and they are very temperamental if everything is not perfect. You may think that just because a company has done it before means there won't be problems, but trust me, you could do the same thing 100 times and still have weird issues pop up from time to time.

They're doing this right.

Cut them some slack.
Doubt your as smart as you think you are...

Considering they can dynamically set the server limits to distribute people selecting servers. There is no way to accurately determine the amount of people playing per server making your post total nonsense.

I have been watching a live stream all day and the server zones are DEAD! very few people wondering around.

Xenospheric
12.13.2011 , 04:53 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by lokivoid View Post
Being Cisco certified by self i call BS, "Controlling and Maintaining" a system that is allready wired and put online is not a diffacult task. Booting the system or running backups is the only time consuming part (unless of course your netcoding is horrific or a rack slot suffers a critical hardware failure.)
So then what happens when a single node of a cluster drops due to high demand, overheating, hardware malfunction? Preventing access to a certain zone but the rest of the server is operational, you can't just bring the unit down just because one phase isn't working.

Now say that happens to 5 servers, or 10, if things go wrong, they usually happen in batches.

This isn't even mentioning authentication servers, which have to access a giant database of user information, making sure that players can even log in.

I don't know about you, but I don't have to support 300,000+ people all at once.

Quote: Originally Posted by bishup View Post
Doubt your as smart as you think you are...

Considering they can dynamically set the server limits to distribute people selecting servers. There is no way to accurately determine the amount of people playing per server making your post total nonsense.

I have been watching a live stream all day and the server zones are DEAD! very few people wondering around.
I never said I was smart, I'm actually quite dumb. I was just merely passing the time at work.