The Fate of the Emperor (And Other Conundrums)

Noctournys

I had originally intended for this post to be long and meandering...

but i think i found a way to keep my original post, and get opinions on the idea instead.

Firstly: this is in the spoilers Forum. Im not going to tag crap - if you're here, deal with it.

Okay:

Basically, after reading the summations of the various class storylines in various places, it really struck me that the story just isn't cohesive between factions and even between character classes.

For instance:

In the Imperial Agent storyline, at the end of chapter 1, you can elect to side with Darth Jadus and wipe out billions of Imperial citizens, with Jadus using this loss of life to catapult himself to the top of the Dark Council and defacto rulership of the entire Empire.

Thing being.. no other class story ever hears about this, or even has Jadus mentioned, ever... and the Inquisitor can take a seat on the Dark Council!

During this story, as well, Imperial Intelligence gets dissolved (dont get me started on why that is TERRIBLE writing) in all but one ending, permanently. This also never crosses over.

Sith Warriors learn that a member of the Dark Council did something to the Emperor and they free him! No one else knows.

Jedi Knights KILL THE EMPEROR. Jedi Consulars BANISH HIS SOUL FOR ETERNITY.

But in the Sith Warrior ending, you get a letter from The Man stating that he survived an attack and is recovering.

Now, years from now when the game is finally shut down and LucasArts and Bioware sit down to figure out which parts of which class stories are the 'canon' story for this era, we might figure out who did what..

but for now, we have to concede that the class stories are personal, and that they CANNOT all have happened as they unfold in game, or nothing makes any sense..

after all (and i save the biggest for last)...

If you're imperial, you conquer half a dozen planets for the Empire during your rise to power...

and if you're a pubbie...

you save those EXACT SAME PLANETS for the Republic.

The reason i posted this was to get other people's opinions on this topic and discuss why Bioware couldn't have made the stories more cohesive and inter-related... and (i guess, a little) complain about the fact that Jedi characters get to KILL THE FREAKING EMPEROR, and Imperial characters...

yeah, we dont get to be that cool.

Oh wow this is going to be a long response with a lot of quotes. x_x

Basically, after reading the summations of the various class storylines in various places, it really struck me that the story just isn't cohesive between factions and even between character classes.

I disagree, the class quests can and to a degree have to fit together. The world quests....well I'll get to those later.

An example of class quests that fit together is the JK and SW stories. If the JK's act 3 opening doesn't happen, then the SW would be dead at the end of Act 2 as there would be no reason for him to be saved and made into the Emperor's Wrath as there would already be an Emperor's Wrath.

In the Imperial Agent storyline, at the end of chapter 1, you can elect to side with Darth Jadus and wipe out billions of Imperial citizens, with Jadus using this loss of life to catapult himself to the top of the Dark Council and defacto rulership of the entire Empire.

Thing being.. no other class story ever hears about this, or even has Jadus mentioned, ever... and the Inquisitor can take a seat on the Dark Council!

He is never mentioned in any other storyline precisely because his fate is uncertain. If what happens to a character isn't certain then the storylines are designed to never mention or show that character after that rough point in the storyline. They might appear earlier, for example a character the JC can kill in Act 3 appears in Act 1 or 2 of the JK story, but not in the JK Act 3.

During this story, as well, Imperial Intelligence gets dissolved (dont get me started on why that is TERRIBLE writing) in all but one ending, permanently. This also never crosses over.

Not a completely accurate summation of the ending. Imperial Intellegence is dissolved in all IA endings. It is then to be replaced by a new intellegence division(resusing useful personel from II) that is directly under the Dark Council's control(in one ending the IA is the head of the newly formed agency). And of course that isn't going to be mentioned in any other storylines because the event happens at about the time when everyone else is going into their final battle and have more important things to worry about.

Sith Warriors learn that a member of the Dark Council did something to the Emperor and they free him! No one else knows.

Well not everyone in the world is privy to every detail of important people's lives, so I don't see why you care that people don't learn secrets about one of the most secrative person in the galaxy.

Jedi Knights KILL THE EMPEROR. Jedi Consulars BANISH HIS SOUL FOR ETERNITY.

But in the Sith Warrior ending, you get a letter from The Man stating that he survived an attack and is recovering.

That is an an inaccurate summation fo the JC ending and the email the SWs get. The JC defeats the First Son of the Emperor who I believe is supposed to be the most powerful of the "Children of the Emperor." Said First Son was protecting the other Children of the Emperor from being detected by the Jedi, so now that he has been defeated they can be found.

The email the SW gets is from one of the Hands of the Emperor who is the SW's primary quest giver during Act 3 from what I recall. Basically he is the SW's communication line wioth the Emperor's Will. The email doesn't say that the Emperor was attacked an survived. It says he is slumbering and his return approaches. Below is the text that I copied from someone else before the forums formating for release.

The Emperor's recovery continues. But while he slumbers, his Wrath is needed more than ever.

The Empire echoes with whispered rumors of the Emperor's weakness. ******* was the first of many Sith to grow bold in our master's absence. Some even suspect the Emperor's death.

It is the duty of the Wrath to silence these rumors.

Show the Empire your incredible strength. Devastate your enemies in the Emperor's name. Only then will the transgressors bow to you in awe and renew their devotion to our master.

The Emperor's return approaches. Prepare for his ascendance, Wrath.

Also I think there are plenty of red flags in the JK storyline to suggest that there is something you are missing when you fight and defeatthe Emperor. These red flags range from the way you learn about the Emperor's location(seems too convenient to me and likely the Emperor intdened for you to find and "kill him"), the fact that he has a different body between the two times you see him(although this might be a tie in with the SW story), and the fact that there is a post storyline companion quest with Kira where you learn that the voice of the Emperor has become louder in the heads of the Children of the Emperoer since you "killed" the Emperor(at least I assume this quest is in the game, it is in the dialogue files but I haven't finished my storlyine yet so I can't verify yet).

Now, years from now when the game is finally shut down and LucasArts and Bioware sit down to figure out which parts of which class stories are the 'canon' story for this era, we might figure out who did what..

but for now, we have to concede that the class stories are personal, and that they CANNOT all have happened as they unfold in game, or nothing makes any sense..

No the class storylines are all happening and are all canon. You can occasioanlly see the results of the events of other class stoylines, but they keep the choices made by that class vague. As an example the BH finale has you hunting the Supreme Chancellor. You either kill him or he is outed from office by a scandal you bring to light. Point is, during Act 3 of the Republic there is a brand new Supreme Chancellor. No one discusses what happened to the old one because there are two possible outcomes, but BH through one way or another got the last one out of office and we see the results of this.

after all (and i save the biggest for last)...

If you're imperial, you conquer half a dozen planets for the Empire during your rise to power...

and if you're a pubbie...

you save those EXACT SAME PLANETS for the Republic.

This is a world quest issue not a class story issue. I don't know the details of all the world quests(haven't done an Imp character yet), but I know at least one world, Voss, where the world quests can't both happen because one character is supposed to be taken down by both sides. I know that several world quests for the Republic end with the NPC saying that you won them the planet, and I'm sure the Imperial world quests say the same thing.

However World Quests are a different beast than class quests. World quests could in canon be completed by any of the four classes for a faction or perhaps by just an unnamed person who happened to be there. I'd say that the world quests can be rectified by just accepting that the events were compelted and in the case of contradictory events, someone completed them and doesn't matter who. And when it comes to someone saying that you won the planet for your faction, they are just being overly optimistic.

Edited by Ranadiel_Marius

I remember in beta when I defeat Emperor as Jk, Lord scourge said he didn't feel anything in the force and ask if I am sure about that. However player has to retreat from the temple as the temple collapse and emperor presume dead. Lord Scourge also state he stay with player in case Emperor left some surprise.

The problem I have with story line is Jedi Consular voss story line and Voss republic story line. Voss remain natural as Light side pick of republic story line but yet there are bunch of voss commando/healer follow Gaden-ko around and join the war. (As buddy guard? O_o)

I was also disappoint that none of jedi master JC saved during class quest show up in corellia to help player unlike JK who has a army of Jedi's help..

Edited by hchsiao

What? Okay...I had a bad feeling about that (after Lord Scourges words), but as I read this, I really feel disappointed.

I was so happy killing the emperor yesterday, recorded a video for my light side guild mates...and now I read here the doubts and on another site that this guy wasn't the real emperor.

First I thought he's too important for one class to kill him alone. Then after some Levels it was okay and I think the end was very cool. An now it wasn't the real one?

btw here's the video of the dark side answer...don't klick if you still want to play a jedi knight or still enjoying your story!

He looked so dead to me :jawa_frown:

http://de.xfire.com/video/529d2e/

I was so happy killing the emperor yesterday, recorded a video for my light side guild mates...and now I read here the doubts and on another site that this guy wasn't the real emperor.

First I thought he's too important for one class to kill him alone. Then after some Levels it was okay and I think the end was very cool. An now it wasn't the real one?

He's the real Emperor....sort of. I'm trying to think of how to best describe this. The Emperor's soul and/or consciousness is not bound to a single physical body. The JK sees an example of this during the Act 1 conclusion when the Emperor takes over Kira's body until she manages to expel his influence.

So what the JK kills is the Emperor's "main body" at the time. It was the body that he had established the strongest connection with at the time. So it was the Emperor that was killed, but the death of his physical form doesn't mean the same thing to him as it does every other living being in existence.

So the way I understand it is that the emperor's soul is able to transfer from body to body or multiple bodies at the same time correct?

So my theory is that he is infact not dead but transfered to a new body or group of bodies.

Wish BW would confirm this because I find it lame that empire toons do not interact or even see the emperor in anyway

So the way I understand it is that the emperor's soul is able to transfer from body to body or multiple bodies at the same time correct?

So my theory is that he is infact not dead but transfered to a new body or group of bodies.

Wish BW would confirm this because I find it lame that empire toons do not interact or even see the emperor in anyway

SW sees and interacts with Emperor. And it is through the SW's post game emaiol that we know the Emperor is still alive and "slumbering" following the attack by the JK.

It seems as though some events happen before others. For example: When I fought Darth Barras, Darth Thanton is there. My understanding is that you kill him. However, there were some empty seats in the hall of the Dark Council. No one really bothers to talk about them, however, because the Warth of the Emperor is challenging the proclaimed Voice of the Emperor.

As a Warrior, you never deal much with Imperial Intelligence, but why would you?

They do, as stated, link the JK and SW stories, they just don't mention specifics.

As for World quests, it somewhat different. For example, in the last beta build, I made a trooper. My trooper got sent to Taris after Courscant. I never did any of the quests, but I assume that Republic players help to rebuild the planet. Thus, bringing the Empire more heavily into the game, as their goal is to destroy it.

Then you have places like Hoth, were you're not supposed to win the planet for the Empire, your goal is simply to kill as many Republic soldiers as possible.