Improve performance/ graphics

Vanlande

Well, I'm not a new player, but It's always bothered me that I have the run the game at the VERY LOW setting for the graphics, and even then get the occasional lag. I have a fairly decent PC, and I'll go into detail if someone can point me in the right direction for what forum to post this in. I'm not really familiar with the boards here. Thanks

Can you post your specs here?

GPU, CPU, ram, HDD.

Are you playing windowed mode or fullscreen?

I use (and always have) Fullscreen.

GPU- Intel® G45/G43 Express chipset [is this what gpu is?]

CPU- Pentuim ® Dual-Core CPU E5300@ 2.60Ghz

RAM- 6.00GB

HDD- ~50BG free of ~300GB (I also have a backup drive, 400GB [full] if that makes a difference)

I'm not really familial with games and graphics and stuff (TOR is the only game I play). It just seems to me that I'm so far above the min requirements that I should be running really well, no?

Thanks for any advice...

RAM- 6.00GB

HDD- ~50BG free of ~300GB (I also have a backup drive, 400GB [full] if that makes a difference)

I'm not really familial with games and graphics and stuff (TOR is the only game I play). It just seems to me that I'm so far above the min requirements that I should be running really well, no?

Thanks for any advice...

That GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) you have is pretty low end. You'll want to get a add-on graphics card if you want to see the game driven at high graphics level. I use a nVidia GTX670 graphics card and it drives the game at max setting on a 24-inch Dell monitor (1920x1200 resolution).

Another recommendation I have will be to replace you existing monitor with a IPS panel based one. It won't help you run the game faster but you'll notice better color and graphics details. In fact, the game will play like it had a "digital remaster" because the color is more accurate and close to what the developers meant them to be.

You can also consider replacing your HDD with a SSD or use multiple drives in RAID0 configuration if you want the game to load faster. It helps when you transition to another area that requires loading from the local drive.

RAM- 6.00GB

Thanks for any advice...

Use windowed mode instead of full screen, game seems to perform better in a windowed environment versus full screen. Also, look to invest in an actual video card, and a quad core processor or better. Right now you are using an onboard graphics adapter, this means your graphics are sharing your system ram and in today's gaming environments, this is sub-optimal. Lowest graphic setting is about the best you can do with the current rig you have, as you are sitting on the bare minimum requirements to run the game fluidly in a multiplayer environment..

Personally, I'd recommend a quad core or better processor, 4-8 GB ram, and just about any current generation dedicated video card with at least 512 MB onboard ram.

You just need to replace your video card. Id get a 560 ti ($230) or a 670 ($430). 670 is 2x faster than the 560. A 560 will probably be future proof for another year or so running things at 1920x1080. It can run battlefield 3 at max almost comfortably at 1920. SWTOR is a joke to a 560. A 670 is meant to run most games on the 5000 resolution. You'd probably want to look into getting a better cpu and youd have to replace the motherboard as well because the new cpus are of a slightly different shape. probably looking at 200-300 for an i series cpu and a motherboard for it. You dont really need anything better than a quadcore or i3 (i series is probably like $40 difference for like 30% improvement over quadcore series) or so if you wanted to save money. Video games are mostly graphics card dependent. Cpus are mostly for running more programs at once or encoding videos to upload to youtube. They have a small effect compared to graphics cards when actually running games.

For example:

Your "card"

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/video_lookup.php?gpu=Intel+G45%2FG43+Express+Chipset&id=944

High End GPUS such as 560 and the 670

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

Heres also a general guide to computer parts

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120513143331/4changboard/images/b/bd/Falconguide.png