Revan (novel) - sad & feeling slightly empty

wilmera

Agreed. First thing I thought when I heard Taris was the Promised Land, and then I find the holocrons and I'm like, Dude, what the hell!?

What was even worse was that they FOUND the Promised Lands, and lived through the damn assault. I ignored it in KotOR, because I figured they'd died like everyone else. But no, the Promised Lands were destroyed and they had to suffer for a long time before they would finally just die out.

That scene was touching to me, and very well written, since...

in the last holo the woman says she is the 14th keeper of that people. If you think if one generation span is about 20 years, they hold out there for about 280 years and may just have died out just a few years before the republic returned to Taris and could have saved them..

I was disappointed with the Novel. I actually vastly preferred the other two TOR novels, the books were just a lot better, well written. Revan just seemed to spend endless amounts of time explaining the most irrelevant things.

And yes, i can say i was kind of unhappy with the ending too. It seemed to take forever to get there then in the space of two paragraphs it was all over and tied up. it also made the emperor look pretty lame too.

I would recommend deceived and fatal allianace though...really enjoyed those books. Revan, only if you cannot resist.

At least Revan does not die in the Foundry [sith flashpoint]. There is no body and he vanishes. Huge potential for Bioware to correct its flaws. How awesome would it be for Republic and Sith to do a flashpoint or ops together, to save revan. Like how the 2 sides work together in fatal Alliance. Man!, that would be E P I C

Too bad the story and lore forums is filled with endless topics about datacron locations...

As far as Revan goes, The same writer who created him for KoTOR, wrote the Revan book, and wrote his story throughout this game as well. You can't accuse Bioware of ruining their own character. He is theirs to do with as they please.

Revan's fate is far cooler than simply dying of old age. What more do you people want?

edit: I suppose spoiler tags are in order.

I disagree completely. This is like Boba Fett escaping the Sarlacc over... and over... and over again. Or Luke Skywalker mastering every form of everything in the history of ever. Revan didn't need to live for 300 years, just so we could see him in TOR (make no mistake, that IS why they kept him alive.)

The whole thing reeks, like the story was written by fanboys instead of professional authors. And to think Karpyshyn did this while also retconning everything interesting out of the Exile character, essentially making her a faux heroine (supposed to be a hero, but ends up being more of a damsel in distress) and basically deleting the Nihilus character from existence so that his Emperor could be more special and unique... yep, reeks is the word I was looking for, definitely.

-Macheath.

Edited by Macheath

I was really disapointed by the book. The end just comes out of nowhere. From the way the book started it looked like there was going to be this fun jaunt around the galaxy. But no. I would have preferred the Revan story play out in the game. Because now after reading the book and learning his fate it makes the missions in the game feel a little empty.

I mean I know it was obvious from the beginning that Revan wasn't going to defeat the emperor since there was an empire in this game. But its wasn't even a fight. The whole story just ends so abruptly. It was not satisfying at all. Like someone else said, having Meetra and T3 killed off like that sort of makes all that time I invested in the original games feel pointless. And why is Bastila just brushed to the side? I would have liked to see more of her. I don't think "she had a kid" is a sufficient reason to cut her out of the story personally.

I felt like the book was terribly paced and should have been titled "Star Wars: Lord Scourge".

It just wasn't a very good book, but, based on the author, I wasn't expecting it to be.

Drew makes decent overall plots for video games, but consistently falls down when it comes to the details, and all of his books have been 'meh' at best.

Considering how epic the story arc's are for Revan and the Exile are in KOTOR I &II, their fate in the book does seem kind of anti-climactic.

And frankly, the book's Revan seems a lot more wimpy than I always imagined him. He doesn't feel like the guy who charged through an army of Dark Jedi to destroy the Star Forge. Of course, by the time the novel starts, the poor man really _has_ been through a lot. Maybe he was just beaten down. Lost sanity points ala "Call of Cthulu".....

Oh I remember reading that part, sure....

But you're interpreting Scourge's visions just like he was.... that they were absolutely certain. Revan told him, just like Yoda to Luke "Always in motion, the future is."

There was no absolute way of knowing if Scourge was seeing the absolute future. He felt that he knew all possible outcomes, I don't think that a dark sider would be THAT attuned to the force. Even Scourge commented (on some page in the book I don't remember) that there was no use for dark side prophets, because most dark siders were consumed by their anger, hatred, etc.

I just think Scourge was having a brush with BOTH sides of the force, saw the potential for its use, and then like all true dark siders, felt.... "hey, I instantly got this future vision thing down!"

I think you might want to read about what happened to Scourge at the end of the book again. Yes he saw the vision of a Jedi Champion killing the Emperor and that the only way for it to come to pass was that Meetra had to die. Scourge knew that they would fail if he didnt make the choice that he did. He also went throught the immortality ritual so he could enshure that he would be there to see his vision become reality. So even though I didnt approve of Scourge's methods I think your selling him short. Also if it wasnt for Meetra dieing and then using her essence to strengthen Revan the Emperor would have attacked 300 years sooner than he did. So in reality Scourge's actions paved the way for the Emperor's downfall. I may not like the character as a whole too well but I think alot of people are selling him short.

At least Revan does not die in the Foundry [sith flashpoint]. There is no body and he vanishes. Huge potential for Bioware to correct its flaws. How awesome would it be for Republic and Sith to do a flashpoint or ops together, to save revan. Like how the 2 sides work together in fatal Alliance. Man!, that would be E P I C

I could be wrong but I think the Belsavis flashpoint is close to this. I mean I have only seen it from the Sith side however I know the republic side is virtually identical. Where BOTH sides have to keep an ancient evil left over from the Rakata's Infinite Empire from breaking free and running loose in the Galaxy. The Indomitable One I believe the enemy is called. You might want to check out the info on this but like I said I could be very wrong.

I felt like the book was terribly paced and should have been titled "Star Wars: Lord Scourge".

It just wasn't a very good book, but, based on the author, I wasn't expecting it to be.

Drew makes decent overall plots for video games, but consistently falls down when it comes to the details, and all of his books have been 'meh' at best.

Heres a question just exactly how many of his books have you actually read? I mean yes Revan could have been better, however Drew's Darth Bane Trilogy is top notch and the 2 Mass Effect books he wrote were great as well.

At least Revan does not die in the Foundry [sith flashpoint]. There is no body and he vanishes.

You mean like Obi-Wan? Oh, wait.

He's dead as a doornail. The closest you're going to get is him coming back as a force ghost some point to give the Republic a nudge in the right direction, but otherwise he is not getting up again.

To me it felt like BioWare only included him personally to give the fanboys something to chew on. "Here is Revan, now you have him and now he's dead. Sucks to be you. Lets get on with The Old Republic...

Edited by WhoDaresWins

Heres a question just exactly how many of his books have you actually read? I mean yes Revan could have been better, however Drew's Darth Bane Trilogy is top notch and the 2 Mass Effect books he wrote were great as well.

I personally disagree. Not a fan.

I also feel like it was trying to wrap up our beloved characters far too fast, and for the sake of another story, another game, another saga. They swept the epic under the rug so The Old Republic could suck the life force of KOTOR.

Hey...that sounds sort of familiar.

The Book is borderline. Revan's involvement in ths MMO? is a travesty of era destroying Cluster-F's. unforgivable.

To mirror other posters here, The Characters we loved for so long deserved a far better send off.

Agreed. It's not about doing the Characters justice, it's about doing us *fans* justice! I agree, Revan's story needs to draw to a close, to make room for the characters of *this* timeline, but do so in a way that gives us some closure, some peace of mind.

For example, let us see Revan in his final moments, perhaps having escaped the Foundry with fatal wounds. Let us see him reunite with Satele, explaining who he is, inspiring her to new heights of loyalty to the Republic and the Jedi Order, and in the end, gets the "Happily Ever After" ending we always wanted, seeing Revan's spirit join Bastila's and the rest of his friends, including the Exile.

Revan has no place in The Old Republic, but at least let us have the Happy Ending we always wanted in the first game, BioWare. Just give us that!

I still don't think Revan is dead. When you defeat him in the Foundry he still has a couple thousand health left before he disperses into bolts of energy in multiple directions. I think he will show up again...in fact I'm inclined to say that I'm almost certain he will...

I still don't think Revan is dead. When you defeat him in the Foundry he still has a couple thousand health left before he disperses into bolts of energy in multiple directions. I think he will show up again...in fact I'm inclined to say that I'm almost certain he will...

Say what...well there goes the surprise.

Not to put a downer on Revan fanboys, but...

Yes. He died in the Empire "The Foundry" Flashpoint legitamately. The Flashpoint where he's rescued by a Republic Strike Force happened before the Empire's FP involving Revan, which is confirmed by Malgus who makes it clear the Emperor himself planned for Revan to escape - he merely let him because Revan's mental barrier was too strong. This means the Emperor fooled even a Force Ghost ;) (Meetra). Revan, after having been rescued, went to the Foundry. And guess what? He didn't realize the Emperor was still tracking him, leading the Empire straight to the Foundry.

Suffice to say, it makes the player realize that the Emperor is 10x the threat he was made out to be in the REVAN Novel and lets you question whether or not Revan actually fought the Emperor himself or simply the Emperor's Voice.. As it's stated by the Emperor's Hand (the Two servants who appear before the Sith Warrior, whom becomes the NEW Emperor's Wrath) that the Emperor has not been seen, not even by them (including the Jedi Knight) for decades, and prior to that state that the Voice of the Emperor had recently been silenced (affirming to the possibility that the Sith Warrior's story takes place a few moments after the Jedi Knight).

That means the Jedi Knight only killed the Voice of the Emperor, and not the Emperor himself. They state this exactly, that when the Voice dies.. the essence that inhabits the Voice returns to the Emperor himself - hence why at the end of the Jedi Knights story the "Emperor" dissolves into Dark Side energy.

This means the Emperor is, infact, very... very intelligent, cunning.. and dangerously powerful - more so than the Revan novel depicted. Revan simply had no chance. BIOWARE themselves did say that they're now trying to steer away from Revan's story entirely; he died obsessed and driven-mad by his psychic battle with the real Emperor for over 300 years.

I'm beginning to think that the Emperor is, quite possibly, of the same nature (or near enough the same) to that of Abeloth (for those whom know who that is). Abeloth is pretty much a "Force Demon", she's a being that was incarnated by the Dark Side itself.

Edited by Oonkeh_