Lightning Rotations?

HOUSEoPAIN

lightning spec is fail in leveling. epic fail. its faster to level when you can just spam your force lightning with no cool down. respec right now

I had no problem with it, finished my story line at 46, and pvp'd until 50.

I'm a lvl 31 sorcerer, lightning is my spec nothing else but lightning, anyone find the best rotations for this? Thanks for any help I get!

You want to start out with your Affliction dot so you can get your proc chance going. Then lightning until all your stacks are up. Crushing Darkness after that. Chain light when storm is active, Force lightning when barrage proc. Not sure what level you train the different skills anymore, I pretty much level'd over a weekend. Then....Slept a lot..:) Go with Force>Aclarity>crit>surge and you'll do fine.

Alacrity ? I am pretty sure your priority in stats should be :

1. Willpower

2. Power

3. Crit (soft cap)

4. Surge (soft cap)

5. Alacrity

The reason for willpower and power being 1st & 2nd priority is due to scaling. There are no soft or hard caps for these. You should always reference to your knowledge gleened from years of playing WoW.. is basically all the same.

Alacrity ? I am pretty sure your priority in stats should be :

1. Willpower

2. Power

3. Crit (soft cap)

4. Surge (soft cap)

5. Alacrity

The reason for willpower and power being 1st & 2nd priority is due to scaling. There are no soft or hard caps for these. You should always reference to your knowledge gleened from years of playing WoW.. is basically all the same.

Willpower is on every Sorc piece of gear, I just considered that a given. Aclarity from exp, is much better than crit and surge. Ya wanna reference Wow; think Elemental Shaman: Haste over Crit. Same concept.

My main alt was Ele Sham... and if I remember correctly maxdps.com rated crit > haste to soft cap.

This is not a personal atk on you friend, just trying to make sure the OP doesn't get bad info.

I do apoligize however if you think my response was aggresive in nature. Wish everyone the best of luck and hope all have as much fun as I do playing this game. Ultimately the point of this game (for me at least) is to have fun pwning content and wzs with my fellow players *guildies, friends, non-douche PUGs etc..*

Having fun > being right. If is more fun for you to stack alacrity then do so. The actual difference in stat priority is neglegible as long as you are not debating something along the lines of acc > power (for example)

That's ok. Didn't take it personal. Just doing the same. I dunno what max dps says. Ele was my main, so it's more experience, and Elitistjerks.com studying theory craft on it. It might be just because I played Ele for so many years that the Aclarity seems like the same playstyle. I dunno. Your right though, fun > right. :) I love the 0.6 sec lightning spammage! :) lol

Is very nice to see a fellow MMO vet that can handle a dissagreement. I was beggining to think Daellia was the only one. +1 to you sir.

Btw : alacrity would be MOST usefull to a light sorc, but according to Daellia's sims is still last on the priority list of relevent stats for all sorc specs.

Ok, first off, MaxDPS's theorycrafting was about as reliable as the ravings of that drunk lunatic you ran into at the mall the other night. They took so many shortcuts and made so many assumptions that you'd be lucky if you landed on the right class, much less a proper stat weight setup.

Second, while haste was a potent stat for Elemental shaman, they gained a couple major benefits from it that we don't in SWTOR. First, it affected their Flame Shock, which in turn affected their Lava Burst proc rate (which also didn't have an ICD, unlike Lightning Storm). Second, they didn't have inherent DR built into haste. Third, they had a fairly significant number of baseline and buff-based haste effects to amplify to value of the stat.

Sorcs lack all of these. As noted above, alacrity is indeed better for lightning than it is other specs, but it's still not a good stat overall.

Then again, you also have to realize that the only stat Alacrity is really competing with is Surge. Due to the way modifications are set up, you can't really directly trade Alacrity for Power, Crit, or Willpower. Surge is significantly more powerful than Alacrity at base, but tapers of ridiculously rapidly somewhere around 200-250 rating. At that point, Alacrity starts becoming a desirable stat, not because it's powerful on it's own (usually having a dps benefit of roughly a third that of Power or Crit), but because it's more powerful than Surge at that point.

This is why stat priority lists ultimately break down. It's much better to instead specify balance points, points where the relative dps value of the two competing stats (Power vs. Crit, Alacrity vs. Surge) are equal, which by optimization theory is the point of maximum possible output from the system. I'm actually (sporadically) working on a module for SimC that would calculate these specific points, but it's going slowly due to RL commitments.

Edited by Daellia

you have no idea how easy it is with death field, force lightning spam and chain lightning and force storm when ur lvl 40+

I would have to agree with this.

Enamoured as I am by the notion of a pure lightning Sorc', it is FAR easier to level as hybrid. And that's a problem: while lightning may be a viable leveling build, for ease it pales beside hybrid and that's just not good design.

• 10 months later...

hi all:

I do same here. I am level 17, just started to play couple of weeks ago, dont have a clue how to do rotations the right way. Anybody can assist me? On my talent tree so far i have 4 points I think it is under lightning. Please, need some advise to improve my char. I need to spread the points under the other trees or not? i would like to do dps bad, dont care that much about healing..

thanks

jo:rak_03:

You want to start out with your Affliction dot so you can get your proc chance going. Then lightning until all your stacks are up. Crushing Darkness after that. Chain light when storm is active, Force lightning when barrage proc. Not sure what level you train the different skills anymore, I pretty much level'd over a weekend. Then....Slept a lot..:) Go with Force>Aclarity>crit>surge and you'll do fine.

hi:

when i know when the storm is ready?

That's ok. Didn't take it personal. Just doing the same. I dunno what max dps says. Ele was my main, so it's more experience, and Elitistjerks.com studying theory craft on it. It might be just because I played Ele for so many years that the Aclarity seems like the same playstyle. I dunno. Your right though, fun > right. :) I love the 0.6 sec lightning spammage! :) lol

The reason it's Crit > Ala is because your below the 1 second global cooldown if you were infact just spamming .6 second lightning bolts your sitting there waiting for almost a full half a second for your global cooldown. Which is in fact a DPS loss....

The reason it's Crit > Ala is because your below the 1 second global cooldown if you were infact just spamming .6 second lightning bolts your sitting there waiting for almost a full half a second for your global cooldown. Which is in fact a DPS loss....

how can you trade alacritiy for crit ? because all enhancements have either surge/accuracy or alacrity ?

lightning spec is fail in leveling. epic fail. its faster to level when you can just spam your force lightning with no cool down. respec right now

Would you mind giving me an idea how to spec into that? It sounds like fun but I haven't the slighest idea how to do achieve that lol.

Not sure if serious:rak_02:

the thing is you suggested, was changing alacrity for crit. i was making a sarcastic comment about it, since it is not possible. crit trades for power, alacritiy trades for surge /accuarcy.

in the end you have around 550 points that have to be either alacrity/surge/ or accuracy.

and you cannot trade them for neither power, nor crit ,nor willpower.

btw a global cool down is 1.5 sec not 1sec

and all abilities that are affected by alacrity (all channels and casts) do not even have a gcd. gcd is only for instant casts

Edited by Quantemoq

Start the fight with a hard cast chain lightning on the mobs, then apply affliction to all of them. Hard Cast another chain lightning or force lightning if you get Barrage proc, then spam lightning strike and weave in crushing darkness, force lightning (with or without proc) and use chain lightning on instant cast proc and at the beginning of a fight.

Priority: Chain Lightning on Proc

Force Lightning on Proc

Affliction if it wares off

Crushing Darkness

Force Lightning off Proc

Lightning Strike

Something like that...

• 3 weeks later...
Start the fight with a hard cast chain lightning on the mobs, then apply affliction to all of them. Hard Cast another chain lightning or force lightning if you get Barrage proc, then spam lightning strike and weave in crushing darkness, force lightning (with or without proc) and use chain lightning on instant cast proc and at the beginning of a fight.

Priority: Chain Lightning on Proc

Force Lightning on Proc

Affliction if it wares off

Crushing Darkness

Force Lightning off Proc

Lightning Strike

Something like that...

At low level (pre force storm) my best parse is by :

Affliction to open

Lightning strike spam until barrage or storm procs.

Force lightning or chain lighting when their procs are up.

Try to refresh affliction when you have half cost procs.

If you want more burst use crushing force *after* you use your chain lighting off proc and close with a shock.

I've found part of my problem when I started was not spamming lightning strike "hard enough". You really want to make sure there is zero time inbetween finishing one and starting the other - so I start spamming my hotkey right before it finishes its cast. Closing those gaps improved my DPS by 10%, which put it slightly below madness on single target but with much better AOE.