How to run SWTOR on Linux/WIne

alexzk

Well, well, as we mentioned above game had sound problem. It's not only SWTOR but common WINE problem, others games like Skyrim suffer too.

I have couple audio devices, embedded and USB wireless dongle. It was going more-less with wired (until i finally broke wires) but it was horrible with usb-dongle. I assumed it's some caching.

So:

1. run "alsamixer" in command line, press F6 (select device option) and record device number. For example it says:

"1. 2.4G wireless". - so I record number 1 for the dongle.

2. open file ".asoundrc" in your home folder (or create one if does not exists), add text:

pcm.heads {

type hw

card 1

period_time 0

period_size 4096

buffer_size 131072

rate 44100

}

ctl.heads {

type hw

card 1

}

where "card 1" has number we recorded above.

3. Reloging so changes will take effect.

Now, i can hear just good sound into swtor/skyrim using USB dongle. And it looks like game is smother going now too.

You may want to investigate http://alsa.opensrc.org/Usb-audio#Tuning_USB_devices_for_minimal_latencies as well.

Edited by alexzk

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

To prevent the game removing symbolic links on those two files, I suggest you to juste remove write permissions to the directory containing those files itself, wich is "/home/USER/PlayOnLinux's virtual drives/SWTOR/drive_c/users/USER/Local Settings/Application Data/SWTOR/swtor/", but leave the write permission to "links" and the subdirectory "settings".

This will prevent creating/deleting files/directories in "/swtor" and allow you to write erase the data into files/directories already present in it. This work well for me.

• 4 months later...

Sweet as of Today at least (as far as i know) You no longer have to run explorer desktop @ 1000X614

the short launcher update today no-longer has the black background in explorer, so i turned off the desktop sizeing, and it works like it should :) Or maybe its just lucky me...

Unfortunately mouseover any AREA Quest text/icon on the map/ minimap/ or quest trackter still restults in a freeze/crash. Oh well 95% there

Ubuntu 13.04

AMD Phenom II x6

ATI HD 6800

• 1 month later...
To prevent the game removing symbolic links on those two files, I suggest you to juste remove write permissions to the directory containing those files itself, wich is "/home/USER/PlayOnLinux's virtual drives/SWTOR/drive_c/users/USER/Local Settings/Application Data/SWTOR/swtor/", but leave the write permission to "links" and the subdirectory "settings".

This will prevent creating/deleting files/directories in "/swtor" and allow you to write erase the data into files/directories already present in it. This work well for me.

This is the method i used, but i still don't see any performance gain. I can see the ramcache is working properly by entering:

$ df -H | grep ramcache

output:

$ tmpfs 210M 2.3M 208M 2% /ramcache

and both files are being used while the game is running.

also Has anyone figured out how to stop the game from switching between low/high res textures, randomly while your playing? It's not enough to kill the experience. but it dose lag for a split second every time it decides to do it. which can be every second, or every minute. and everything in between.

• 6 months later...

also Has anyone figured out how to stop the game from switching between low/high res textures, randomly while your playing? It's not enough to kill the experience. but it dose lag for a split second every time it decides to do it. which can be every second, or every minute. and everything in between.

Maybe it is late a little :D But latest 1.7.xx wine with all libs like VC and DX9-10-11 set to "build in" works without flickering. It was surprise to me too :D

• 4 weeks later...

It's working. I use wine for 1.5 years already.

I think you should install latest wine without any extra settings, and put there swtor +

1. swtor_fix.exe

OR

2. patch wine by KUSER_SHARED_DATA fix,

it is mentioned into this thread somewhere above.

Currently I have custom recompiled wine with patch and disabled everything old, like "native directx" and so on, wine is just fine nowadays.

P.S. I was never able to launch starship pvp :/ Game just hungs. Anybody could do?

Edited by alexzk

• 2 years later...

I ditched windows about a year ago and installed Ubuntu (now running 16.10). My previous experience with linux/unix was quite some time ago (my last non-dos/windows machine ran System V R3.2) and I had not tried wine until now.

My laptop is an i5 with intel graphics and 8G of ram.

I installed SWTOR a couple of weeks ago using playonlinux. It downloaded and installed ok (although one of the windows files had a mismatch error and I had to search on the internet how to download it separately), but it ran very slowly and the sound didn't work very well. The download is about 40G these days (which is not fun on my slow (500kbps) DSL -- I ended up taking it to my friend's house who has cable 10mbps).

I tried some of the things earlier in this thread, including the ramcache and the .asoundrc file which helped some, but I still pretty much had to run with sound off. What seemed to fix things was installing the most recent staging version of wine and setting the version to "system" in playonlinux. With that, I could now choose "pulseaudio" for sound. After removing the .asoundrc file, the sound works fine now. I also lowered the allocated video ram (in playonlinux) from 768M to 512M (is there an optimal setting for this?).

After Tatooine, Alderaan wouldn't load, so I tried removing the ramcache and that helped. I suspect because the game liked having the extra 300M of RAM more than the cached files. It runs without much pausing now.

I'm running the game in 1650x1050 fullscreen (external monitor via VGA port) with all graphics settings on low. I can't alt-tab out. I can switch to a difference workspace (ctrl-alt-rightarrow) but that hangs the game.

The biggest issue I have is that the launcher won't do anything after I enter my password unless I minimize it and then click on it on the dash to restore it -- and then move the window around on my screen. It will then process to check for patches and activate the play button.

Thought this report might help someone thinking of installing the game.

Edited by sjmc

• 2 years later...
why doesn't swtor make a distro compatible with linux is the question.

Because it costs too much time and money for too few users, is the answer.

There's really very few people who positively refuse to run Windows for gaming. Pretty much any system can dual-boot between Windows and Linux or iOS. So, even if you don't like Windows for whatever reason, it's still easy enough to only use it for gaming rather than go through the hassle and crappy performance of trying to run SWTOR in Linux.

• 2 months later...

installing it using lutris worked out of the box for me. make sure to update video drivers beforehand.

tested on linuxmint and manjaro just today.

installing it using playonlinux didn't work for me at all.

(no need to actually redownload through the patcher. just copy the files from your ntfs drive.)

edit: running on 2k resolution @144hz.

Edited by EarthlingZero

I never have understood the desire to run games on linux.

As a software developer, I love linux. I use it all the time for work and it is marvelous (strictly speaking win 10 + WSL) however it is total **** for gaming. That is the domain of windows and windows alone.

• 1 month later...
I never have understood the desire to run games on linux.

As a software developer, I love linux. I use it all the time for work and it is marvelous (strictly speaking win 10 + WSL) however it is total **** for gaming. That is the domain of windows and windows alone.

You have no idea what you're talking about.

You have no idea what you're talking about.

Right...

I've been using Linux of various flavours for more than a decade, personally and professionally. I know what tools to use for what job.

If you insist on using a chisel to pound in a nail, I can't stop you (nor do I feel inclined to try tbh). It's no loss to me.

Feel free to post actual arguments though, I'm always up for a technical discussion.

Right...

I've been using Linux of various flavours for more than a decade, personally and professionally. I know what tools to use for what job.

If you insist on using a chisel to pound in a nail, I can't stop you (nor do I feel inclined to try tbh). It's no loss to me.

Feel free to post actual arguments though, I'm always up for a technical discussion.

the only real reason to develop for windows is userbase, and cheap hires for DX programmers. otherwise there really isn't anything superior about windows than some other OS. Granted, those are both really good reasons, but they have nothing to do with platform superiority... just inertia

the only real reason to develop for windows is userbase, and cheap hires for DX programmers. otherwise there really isn't anything superior about windows than some other OS. Granted, those are both really good reasons, but they have nothing to do with platform superiority... just inertia

There is quite a bit of truth to that, but it's a bit more complicated nowadays.

Between .NET Core, Xamarin, and the plethora of SaaS options (mostly provided through Azure) Microsoft now offers, there is an easy to access and robust ecosystem now available in Windowsland. This accessibility is highly attractive to commercial enterprises.

They are also offering a massive olive branch to Linux-happy developers (such as myself) with WSL

When it comes to games though, I think it really is fair to say Windows is still the dominate force there. DX, usually better driver support and just general usability and ease of access make it the obvious choice as far as I'm concerned. Yes, the reason for this also boils down to platform inertia, however until some Linux distros figure out usability for the masses, it's not going to change.

[...]

Between .NET Core, Xamarin, and the plethora of SaaS options (mostly provided through Azure) Microsoft now offers, there is an easy to access and robust ecosystem now available in Windowsland. This accessibility is highly attractive to commercial enterprises.

They are also offering a massive olive branch to Linux-happy developers (such as myself) with WSL[...]

eh that's not largely relevant to games development though

When it comes to games though, I think it really is fair to say Windows is still the dominate force there. DX, usually better driver support and just general usability and ease of access make it the obvious choice as far as I'm concerned. Yes, the reason for this also boils down to platform inertia, however until some Linux distros figure out usability for the masses, it's not going to change.

DX is a quick and dirty solution... not quite optimal, and not quite as controllable as say Vulcan.... but most game devs don't care about pushing visual or efficency envolopes, when they can get someone good enough to use it much cheaper....

... I'm apt to agree with you on driver support, although to my mind that's more about hardware developer laziness

as for linux being lite on usability? I don't see it... it's not like the old days where you had to be comfortable living in the command line... these days most distros are at least better off than everything before win7, and far more stable than anything MS offers, hands down.

as for linux being lite on usability? I don't see it... it's not like the old days where you had to be comfortable living in the command line... these days most distros are at least better off than everything before win7, and far more stable than anything MS offers, hands down.

It may not be like the old days, but it's still a relative PiA to install Linux. Not to mention the massive list of things to do to get SWTOR to run.

Plus, of course, most pre-built computers - which is the majority of computers - come with Windows. Very few of your average users are going to go through the hassle of installing Linux when they already have Windows.

And, much like with Apple iOS, it's usually not worth the investment to try to develop games for Linux, unless it's a really easy port. The consumer base of people who both play games, and don't use Windows, is too small.

The easiest way to run SWTOR in Linux (and iOS) is to dual-boot into Windows. :p

Edited by JediQuaker