Guardian Spec For Duo With Commando?

Sinnahti

Hey everyone!

I'd like to start by thanking you all for all the wonderful information you've provided regarding this awesome advanced class! When I was starting out I strayed away from the Guardian because I didn't want to be forced into a tank role, but you all have more than shown that regardless of shortcomings, the Guardian can be much more than that.

On to my inquiry:

My lady and I are intending on making new characters that will be leveling up together. She chose to go with a Commando because well...who could say no to a scrawny girl with a BFG am I right? :p

Anyway, I decided that I would play a Guardian with her because that would round us out as having a beefy tank class that does damage with a beefy dps class that has healing. Between that and our companions, I can't imagine there is much in the way of questing that we can't accomplish.

I'm having a bit of difficulty deciding which skill tree to invest my points in for this adventure. We would like to duo some of the lower flashpoints in addition to our questing. With that said, I thought that going up the Defense tree would make most sense but I've read a lot of posts on solo leveling that suggest starting up the Vigilance tree for the boosted Strength is more valuable than most of what the Defense tree has to offer initially.

I'd really appreciate some feedback on the subject as I'm not certain if that philosophy stands for a duo leveling experience as well.

Thank you all in advance and keep the great info coming! :)

Personally I found that deep Defense spec worked fine when duoing with my wife who did all the healing.

Between me tanking, her healing and our 2 DPS companions we did every Heroic-4 mission we came across while leveling and 2-manned several Flashpoints together. (Although any Flashpoint boss with ground AE's and such will hurt, it's rough to get companions to move out of them sometimes.)

If I had to do it all over again I might try a slightly higher DPS spec, but Defense worked just fine.

Thank you for the feedback!

My lady is definitely going for the Gunnery Commando spec, but I figure between her throwing off heals and having 1 healing and 1 dps companion out we will have the equivalent to 1 decent healer and great damage.

Perhaps because she is going with a damage build I can safely get away with a Defense build and still be going along at a close to optimal pace.

Still open to other opinions as well of course!