KotFE companion customization venders?

ReddNekk

Are there customization vendors for the KotFE companions like Lana Beniko, Scorpio, etc? They have a customization slot and since this is the ONLY way to customize their appearance what with Bio omitting armor slots for them I assume that they are available. But where?

None for KOTFE companions....

Only available for returning comps but you better hope it's your faction or the customizTion you want was a cartel market item. (Which I think SCorpio only has)

Jorgan has one from the cartel market as well as many of the companions you can through the alliance alerts that were class companions

the KotFE companions like Lana Beniko, Scorpio

Fussy point: SCORPIO isn't a KotFE companion. She/it (depending on your view of grammatically-gendered pronouns applicable to droids - I favour he/she rather than it, but whatever) is one of the Imperial Agent class companions, and she doesn't have gear slots because, regardless of her protestations to the contrary, she is a droid, and droid companions don't have gear slots. (Even before 4.0 came out, their gear slots didn't carry "appearance" gear, just "protection/stats" gear. Now that companions don't get their stats or their protection from gear, gear slots on droid companions would serve no purpose whatsoever(1).)

(1) Almost no purpose. It is conceivable that they could allow them as a sort of additional inventory slot(2), but since they'd be compatible only with the now nonexistent droid gear, there would be nothing you could put in them.

(2) Like the housemaids (and, presumably, butlers - they were about fifty percent men) you could hire for your house in Runes of Magic - each one could wear spare pieces of your gear, allowing you to store it in your house without consuming slots in your storage furniture.

Fussy point: SCORPIO isn't a KotFE companion. She/it (depending on your view of grammatically-gendered pronouns applicable to droids - I favour he/she rather than it, but whatever)

I think it's safe to say that when you slap a pair of metal bewbs, an hourglass figure, and a deliberately feminine vocoder onto a droid you can get away with using a gendered pronoun. HK and 4X, despite looking less anthropomorphized, are still coded masculin. Something like an astromech or the cartel droid comps that don't even speak are a lot more ambiguous though, and you get into the whole sticky territory of non-gendered pronouns that don't sound dehumanizing (despite literally not being human they can have feelings).

Sorry for the derail, it's just one of those subjects sci-fi is in a perfect place to address without bringing up direct allegories to real-world concerns, and OR could explore it a bit more.

I think it's safe to say that when you slap a pair of metal bewbs, an hourglass figure, and a deliberately feminine vocoder onto a droid you can get away with using a gendered pronoun. HK and 4X, despite looking less anthropomorphized, are still coded masculin. Something like an astromech or the cartel droid comps that don't even speak are a lot more ambiguous though, and you get into the whole sticky territory of non-gendered pronouns that don't sound dehumanizing (despite literally not being human they can have feelings).

Sorry for the derail, it's just one of those subjects sci-fi is in a perfect place to address without bringing up direct allegories to real-world concerns, and OR could explore it a bit more.

It's a fair point. I personally dislike attempts to invent non-gendered pronouns just to have them around. English has a perfectly functional collection of pronoun sets (he/him/his form one set, she/her/hers another, etc.), and there is no need for more. There isn't even particularly any need for he/she either. For the "unknown gender" case, English historically had two methods - the older use of "they" that has come back into vogue, and the more recent use of the other meaning of "he".

Yes, you read that right. "He" has two meanings. The first is the "obvious" one of a known-to-be-male person / animal, and no further explanation is needed. Anyone who tries to replace "he" with "they" when talking about a person known to be a man (boy, etc) deserves a good slapping.

The second, less obvious, meaning is "person of unknown sex". This one has fallen victim to a combination of modern PC considerations and (to be frank) modern ignorance.

The conflict between "he" and "they" for this second role arises out of the Middle English similarity between the two pronouns - they were both spelled "he", and were distinguished by the surviving conjugations of the verbs.

But I digress. Tto return to the topic of droid pronouns, here's my take:

* "He" => HK-whatever, M1-4X, T7-O1(1), Republic and Imperial medical droids

* "She" => SCORPIO

* "It" => miscellaneous astromechs, humanoid and titan(2)-shaped droid soldiers that don't talk, spider droids, quadruped droids, megadroids like SD-0

(1) Our JKs and others talk to Teeseven as if he is a person, and that person "feels" male (to me, anyway), so "he".

(2) GW1 Titans, with three legs, one in front, two behind. In this sense, M1-4X is also titan-shaped, but nevertheless has a male voice pattern and a distinctively male personality, so qualifies for "he".

The second, less obvious, meaning is "person of unknown sex". This one has fallen victim to a combination of modern PC considerations and (to be frank) modern ignorance.

Sorry to break it to you but the reason we don't all still speak proto-Germanic is because language and use of words changes over time. Those definitions were created at a time when male was assumed to be the default, the baseline, the norm. That misguided belief goes back to biblical times and humankind is long past the point it should expand its understanding. Even among human-beings there are those that don't fit into a neat little binary no matter how much some would like things to be all neat and simple.

Edited by ZanyaCross

(2) Like the housemaids (and, presumably, butlers - they were about fifty percent men) you could hire for your house in Runes of Magic - each one could wear spare pieces of your gear, allowing you to store it in your house without consuming slots in your storage furniture.

Thanks for reminding me RoM had an awesome housing system. I wish SWTOR had armor stand decorations that let you store extra gear sets and switch between what you're wearing with the press of a button.

Edited by FireFoxed

First off, they should have a vendor with ALL the customs on fleet. I'm sick of this flying to Balmorra/Taris and Belsavis noise. And second of all, they would solve the other problem here by making them legacy-bound.

Legacy Bound Customizations for companions? That would be pretty cool with the exception of those that come from the cartel packs. Unless they could be made Bound to Legacy on Equip.

First off, they should have a vendor with ALL the customs on fleet. I'm sick of this flying to Balmorra/Taris and Belsavis noise. And second of all, they would solve the other problem here by making them legacy-bound.

I'm all for this! :D With the way companions are pretty much available for everybody now, the customizations shouldn't be locked behind classes.

And BW.... HURRY UP AND GIVE US CUSTOMIZATIONS FOR THE NEW CHARACTERS! If you not gonna let us change their armor, at least give us some appearance options for them! ;)

While I agree that KotFE companion customizations would be nice, I am not hopeful that it will happen.

A couple of facts I have figured out:

Scorpio customizations do work in KotFE cutscenes

BUT T7 customizations do not.

if you try to preview armor appearance on a KotFE companion, the new armor overlaps the original armor; like the armor/clothing they wear is their coded skin.

Only a guess, but I believe they took some shortcuts with regard to KotFE companion design (to save time and money)...they designed them like droids to have customizable appearance. With this in mind custcenes were probably produced in such a way that even if they were able to recode KotFE companions to accept different armor/clothing and appearance, that appearance would only work in play not in cutscenes.

so the question is, would the vast majority of players be OK with this? BW assumed the answer would be no and therefore decided to avoid the situation by not allowing KotFE companions to be customizable; better to have a relative handful of players asking for customizations than a LOT more complaining that the customization they applied does not work in cutscenes.

I still agree with this, but I wanted to point out that I noticed something in collections last night. I had never really looked at collections before and on the customizations list it shows some of the companion customizations if you've used it. It might just be cartel market versions only, but there is a button at the bottom of the pic of each one that apparently allows you to unlock the customization for all characters for 60 cartel coins. I haven't tried this yet, but that is kind of cool in its own way. It doesn't solve the issue of all the other customizations that are blocked by class and the running around you have to do for some of them. Like how maybe a bounter hunter or inquistor has access to the vendor that might sell a Vette customization, but cannot purchase it because they are the wrong class. Even though everyone has access to that companion in KotFE and can use the customization slot. Having a vendor on Odessan and at the Fleet that all could access and purchase these customizations that are not cartel market content would do wonders.

• 5 months later...

I would love there to be a companion customization vendor on Odessen that sells the non-CM customizations for all companions available in KotFE and KotET. This would allow modifying the appearances if we want to.

People complain about not being able to change the armor sets of some characters like Lana, Theron, Senya, etc. I think it would be cool if customizations could be provided for them that change outfits, and those could be buyable from the same vendor. Give Theron the option of a new jacket, give us Senya in a not obviously a Knight outfit (undercover or casual wear), give us a few Lana gears.

I would love there to be a companion customization vendor on Odessen that sells the non-CM customizations for all companions available in KotFE and KotET. This would allow modifying the appearances if we want to.

People complain about not being able to change the armor sets of some characters like Lana, Theron, Senya, etc. I think it would be cool if customizations could be provided for them that change outfits, and those could be buyable from the same vendor. Give Theron the option of a new jacket, give us Senya in a not obviously a Knight outfit (undercover or casual wear), give us a few Lana gears.

Yes, whatever issue they have with not letting us customize the new companions, whether it's their unique models or they just want to keep their looks "iconic", would be solved with adding more outfits for each one. I would love for those to be on ingame vendors, but at least put them on the CM and make some more money out of it, geez Bioware.