As of November 18th, 2018, is there a consensus on the most popular server?

Letsjet

I’m on Shan, came back after a long break (used to be on harb). I see no reason to transfer. Pvp queues are instant, I can get a pug HM together in minutes. Assuming star forge is fine too but I have no reason to server transfer.

Hope that helps?

By all accounts Star Forge has more people, though Satele Shan seems to be doing just fine (despite the occasional doom thread) so at this point it really just boils down to whether you know anyone on those servers.

If it's all the same, just make a character on each, get to level 10 start interacting with the communities and see which one you like better.

Or just flip a coin. Might be faster.

The most popular and most populated server is Star Forge. Many PvP'ers still stuck on Satele Shan are begging BW to just merge it with SF already. Satele Shan is dying - ques are slowing down, ranked is nonexistent, and even the market is hyperinflating as a result of scarce resources. I would not recommend anyone go there. Edited by Talon_strikes

The most popular and most populated server is Star Forge. Many PvP'ers still stuck on Satele Shan are begging BW to just merge it with SF already. Satele Shan is dying - ques are slowing down, ranked is nonexistent, and even the market is hyperinflating as a result of scarce resources. I would not recommend anyone go there.

The market is hyperinflating on SF too. It's not a population issure, it's a greed issue. Que's are also slowing down on SF, probably due to player burnout and a lack of interest in the old content.

That said: There are only 3 English servers in the game. Mergers won't fix anything at this point.

The most popular and most populated server is Star Forge. Many PvP'ers still stuck on Satele Shan are begging BW to just merge it with SF already. Satele Shan is dying - ques are slowing down, ranked is nonexistent, and even the market is hyperinflating as a result of scarce resources. I would not recommend anyone go there.

Satele Shan is not dying.

Until such time as anyone has the actual statistics they should stop speaking as if they have any legitimate basis for making such allegations.

We as players don't know F all about actual factual population numbers.

Until such a time as a player can be in all places, all instances, at all times, they don't know anything conclusively.

Just because you think you can eyeball it with high amounts of accuracy doesn't mean you actually can.

Who's checking guild ships?

Who's checking every instance of PVP matches, GSF and Operations going on at the same time?

Who's on at all times?

If you do not have all the data server side, which no player does, you don't know crap. Just because you methods of checking seem conclusive to you doesn't mean they are.

Let me state this emphatically, I don't care how accurate player methods of ascertaining overall population levels seem to any player, you don't have all the available data, you can't have it without access to all the data that can be found server side.

You can hypothesize, you can't be sure.

I have read the play data stratagems attempting to figure out population levels, some of the people doing so I favor, that said, I do not find any of these attempts compelling. Maybe they are right, but than again, maybe they're not.

I have seen some people state Satele Shan is dying/dead who play there. I have also seen people who play there say it is not dead/dying.

Not exactly what I'd call conclusive evidence and I am not taking anyone at their word. Too many agendas for that. If you ask me if I think some people might be outright lieing for the sake of their agenda, yeah, I do think that's possible, likely even.

Anyone who says they are sure about any population issues, yeah, I think they're lieing because if you don't work for BW and have all the server side information, you can't be sure.

Star Forge has the highest population because it was created by combining the most amount of pre-existing servers of all the present servers so it simply stands to reason. That there are other servers that aren't as big or populated as Star Forge doesn't mean they are dead/dying servers, it means they're normal and more like most of the other servers.

That said, there will never be any set of circumstances wherein I would not be against mergers involving Star Forge. If as a paying customer I had to choose between other servers suffering or Star Forge staying as it is [healthy], I'd choose other servers suffering. I pay 15$ a month so I can enjoy the game to the fullest. I don't pay 15$ a month so other people can enjoy the game to the fullest.

Obviously it would be my preference that everyone can enjoy the game to the fullest.

Satele Shan is not dying.

Until such time as anyone has the actual statistics they should stop speaking as if they have any legitimate basis for making such allegations.

We as players don't know F all about actual factual population numbers.

Until such a time as a player can be in all places, all instances, at all times, they don't know anything conclusively.

Just because you think you can eyeball it with high amounts of accuracy doesn't mean you actually can.

Who's checking guild ships?

Who's checking every instance of PVP matches, GSF and Operations going on at the same time?

Who's on at all times?

If you do not have all the data server side, which no player does, you don't know crap. Just because you methods of checking seem conclusive to you doesn't mean they are.

Let me state this emphatically, I don't care how accurate player methods of ascertaining overall population levels seem to any player, you don't have all the available data, you can't have it without access to all the data that can be found server side.

You can hypothesize, you can't be sure.

I have read the play data stratagems attempting to figure out population levels, some of the people doing so I favor, that said, I do not find any of these attempts compelling. Maybe they are right, but than again, maybe they're not.

I have seen some people state Satele Shan is dying/dead who play there. I have also seen people who play there say it is not dead/dying.

Not exactly what I'd call conclusive evidence and I am not taking anyone at their word. Too many agendas for that. If you ask me if I think some people might be outright lieing for the sake of their agenda, yeah, I do think that's possible, likely even.

Anyone who says they are sure about any population issues, yeah, I think they're lieing because if you don't work for BW and have all the server side information, you can't be sure.

Star Forge has the highest population because it was created by combining the most amount of pre-existing servers of all the present servers so it simply stands to reason. That there are other servers that aren't as big or populated as Star Forge doesn't mean they are dead/dying servers, it means they're normal and more like most of the other servers.

That said, there will never be any set of circumstances wherein I would not be against mergers involving Star Forge. If as a paying customer I had to choose between other servers suffering or Star Forge staying as it is [healthy], I'd choose other servers suffering. I pay 15$ a month so I can enjoy the game to the fullest. I don't pay 15$ a month so other people can enjoy the game to the fullest.

Obviously it would be my preference that everyone can enjoy the game to the fullest.

He's not entirely incorrect. I play on and buy from every server.

Fact: SS has no ranked pops. Can't enjoy the server if thats what you're after.

Fact: SS has an inflated CMT and Isotop market. Prices are 20-30% higher, on average, than DM or SF. If you are buying up mats to make 258 gear, you shouldn't do it on SS.

Fact: SS has a smaller window of instant pops, but that only effects non-prime time (10am CST-12AM CST are fine).

Fact: SS has many fewer PVP-only players. This is in part to do with ranked players moving, but also queuing regs sometimes, and also regs guilds/people wholesale transferring to SF. I get many more 120ks per game on SS than I do on SF (in prime time). If consistently competitive regs are something you're after, you might want to check out SF.

As far as PVE goes, I've no real idea of the differences but I see groups forming on all servers.

So, the conclusion is not whether SS is dying, but the FACT that if you want to play ranked, want to get CMT/Isotope mats, play during non-prime times, or are concerned about competence in the queue you're going to be better served on SF. If none of that matters to you, then the servers will feel identical.

Edited by Wimbleton

I could care less if they merge servers or don't. I have alts everywhere! But I'm not seeing the Satele dying thing either. I pvp at night and it seems fine.

Both servers are in dire need of tanks something fierce. RIN is completely silly. Tanks need a permanent reward separate from the other classes regardless and constant. Oops sorry for the tangent.

I could care less if they merge servers or don't. I have alts everywhere! But I'm not seeing the Satele dying thing either. I pvp at night and it seems fine.

Both servers are in dire need of tanks something fierce. RIN is completely silly. Tanks need a permanent reward separate from the other classes regardless and constant. Oops sorry for the tangent.

My recollection is that this has been a complaint about every server since launch. Same with healers.

It also happens to be a common complaint in most MMOs... dating back 15 years or more. The reasons are simple.. most players prefer to play a DPS role when they MMO. I have yet to see any studio find a solution to this long standing issue in MMOs that have random queue systems.

Edited by Andryah

He's not entirely incorrect. I play on and buy from every server.

Fact: SS has no ranked pops. Can't enjoy the server if thats what you're after.

Fact: SS has an inflated CMT and Isotop market. Prices are 20-30% higher, on average, than DM or SF. If you are buying up mats to make 258 gear, you shouldn't do it on SS.

Fact: SS has a smaller window of instant pops, but that only effects non-prime time (10am CST-12AM CST are fine).

Fact: SS has many fewer PVP-only players. This is in part to do with ranked players moving, but also queuing regs sometimes, and also regs guilds/people wholesale transferring to SF. I get many more 120ks per game on SS than I do on SF (in prime time). If consistently competitive regs are something you're after, you might want to check out SF.

As far as PVE goes, I've no real idea of the differences but I see groups forming on all servers.

So, the conclusion is not whether SS is dying, but the FACT that if you want to play ranked, want to get CMT/Isotope mats, play during non-prime times, or are concerned about competence in the queue you're going to be better served on SF. If none of that matters to you, then the servers will feel identical.

You make some fair points.

Sure, it kinda makes sense that the queue times on a server with less people than another server with more people are longer and also have a smaller player demographic in specific areas of play. You worded your point well and I can see the distinction you are making. It may very well be the case that the ranked population on SS has less people doing ranked than on SF even if by no other reasoning than there are simply more people on SF.

Makes perfect sense really.

My comments were based only the wider view of things overall. I don't disagree with your point on Ranked between the servers.

Edited by WayOfTheWarriorx

The Star Forge looks like it has a lot more people, i was just there and almost migrated my character from there to the Satele Shan, and saw how so many more people were around, that i immediately stopped the transfer.

I might migrate everything in time to the SF in the future, i need to see how the other people are first.