Mouseover Healing

Malicity

Is it TOO much when you have to practically click on something the size of a pencil.

I've put my mouse over my friend and clicked all over, the only place I actually GET him is dead center of his body.

So yea, mouse over healing is nice.

You're talking about two separate issues here. If clicking on an object isn't registering then that is a completely different issue that mouse-over wouldn't inherently fix.

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All of this uproar because people don't want to click a button? Really? Balance issues/bug threads barely make it above five pages, but this thread, a thread about having to click a button, is miles long. You'd think Bioware spit in an orphan's mouth given the amount of bellyaching going on here. If you can't heal because you have to click a button over a raid frame then I don't know what to say to you. Going from FFXI (where we used only the keyboard and function key tabbing) to SWTOR's system, even I have no problems adapting to it. Having a preference is one thing, but saying that it makes the game unplayable is complete BS. If it is going to be that big of a deal then perhaps you should stop playing over all.

I sometimes wonder if anyone actually reads the posts in mouseover healing threads. It isn't about difficulty, it isn't about what people can and can't do, it's about comfort and what people are used to.

With mouseover healing, people have so many more keybindings that are freed up for other abilities. Mouseover is a staple of modern MMORPG healing. If you prefer traditional click-to-select casting, that's fine. Most of us prefer mouseover. Why not give us the option to play how we want to play?

For everyone just jumping on to this bandwagon please jump back a few pages and read Raani posts on the subject.

She (assuming she based on the profile if not sorry about the incorrect pronoun) pretty much makes an iron clad case for why mouse over like mechanics at some point are going to be needed, if simply to allow operation to have deeper and more interesting content.

My own background is a wrath 25 resto druid raid healer and disc priest which did all the hard mode in icc25 up to sindragosa hard, in a rather hard core guild. So I have some experience in raid situation , which is why the current SWTOR healing setup for me is more then a bit annoying. It's down right disheartening, as in i don't want to even try it.

Not to say i couldn't do it, but in my head i know the current setup is so broken that if there ever going to be interesting content at some point it will have to be addressed. And i really don't want to invest hours of my own limited time learning a broken UI only to have it changed to something a bit more sane. When I can laugh it up throwing sith lightning everywhere in a rather simpler but funner DPS role.

And the thing is , i'm by no means the only person with this view point. My current guild of old Wow healers that are messing around in SWTOR are hovering around the same opinion. It's broken so why bother messing with it, and this is reflected in the current lack of healer willing to well do anything.

It not that we aren't out there, there are a lot of absurdly talented healers that are use to hard mode level mechanics where missing GCD means someone died, or a miss timed dispel means the raid just wiped. we exist but a lot of us are DPSing or tanking, not because we have suddenly found a new calling. it because the current situation is so damn annoying it's just funner to play something else.

Edited by Shadowolfz

For everyone just jumping on to this bandwagon please jump back a few pages and read Raani posts on the subject.

She (assuming she based on the profile if not sorry about the incorrect pronoun) pretty much makes an iron clad case for why mouse over like mechanics at some point are going to be needed, if simply to allow operation to have deeper and more interesting content.

My own background is a wrath 25 resto druid raid healer and disc priest which did all the hard mode in icc25 up to sindragosa hard, in a rather hard core guild. So I have some experience in raid situation , which is why the current SWTOR healing setup for me is more then a bit annoying. It's down right disheartening, as in i don't want to even try it.

Not to say i couldn't do it, but in my head i know the current setup is so broken that if there ever going to be interesting content at some point it will have to be addressed. And i really don't want to invest hours of my own limited time learning a broken UI only to have it changed to something a bit more sane. When I can laugh it up throwing sith lightning everywhere in a rather simpler but funner DPS role.

And the thing is , i'm by no means the only person with this view point. My current guild of old Wow healers that are messing around in SWTOR are hovering around the same opinion. It's broken so why bother messing with it, and this is reflected in the current lack of healer willing to well do anything.

It not that we aren't out there, there are a lot of absurdly talented healers that are use to hard mode level mechanics where missing GCD means someone died, or a miss timed dispel means the raid just wiped. we exist but a lot of us are DPSing or tanking, not because we have suddenly found a new calling. it because the current situation is so damn annoying it's just funner to play something else.

Amen brother.

I sometimes wonder if anyone actually reads the posts in mouseover healing threads. It isn't about difficulty, it isn't about what people can and can't do, it's about comfort and what people are used to.

With mouseover healing, people have so many more keybindings that are freed up for other abilities. Mouseover is a staple of modern MMORPG healing. If you prefer traditional click-to-select casting, that's fine. Most of us prefer mouseover. Why not give us the option to play how we want to play?

Mouse over healing is a staple of WoW...not all modern MMOs. Mouse over is not part of this game, adapt, work for it...would it be easier? Sure, but then healers would complain that healing was too easy. If it ain't broke...

Mouse over healing is a staple of WoW...not all modern MMOs. Mouse over is not part of this game, adapt, work for it...would it be easier? Sure, but then healers would complain that healing was too easy. If it ain't broke...

Most modern MMO's allowed macros, which allowed for mouseover macros, which allowed for mouseover healing. Sure, WoW was the only one with Vuhdo and Healbot, but mouseover healing is all over the place.

Adapt and work for it? Again (I frustratingly have to keep repeating myself), mouseover healing isn't "easier" persay, it's faster and more fluid, and for most of us it's a lot more comfortable and frees up plenty of hotkeys for other abilities.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FakeDifficulty

Number one. A clunky UI does not for a difficult experience make. It makes for an annoying one.

Difficulty in healing should come from using the right heal on the right target at the right time while managing your resources effectively. When the difficulty comes from a hard to use interface, that's just poor design.

As a healer I favor mouseover not for the "EASY MODE" as some mentioned earlier but for the reduced number of bounded keys. Back when I used to play wow I had 2 spells bound to the same button. Mouseover casts instant and if targeted casts the channeled. This way my hand is not all over the keyboard but instead on a specific area. Anyways am fine with the F-keys & UI targeting for now and am actually used to it since ages but if mouseover was implemented then great! Edited by e-sam

Why is it that some people here think that being forced to click twice means that you are more skilled than someone who doesn't want to do it that way? That makes no sense at all. Forcing yourself to adapt to a clunky UI does not make you skillfull, it makes you masochistic.

DPSing works the same here as it does in most every other MMO. Imagine if you couldn't select a target by tabbing? What if you had to hunt through the chaos and click your target? What if you couldn't see your DOTs on your target? What if you couldn't bind casts to number keys, and you had to click a button with your mouse? It would be a non-standard DPS interface, and it would be a problem.

There are (much) better interfaces for healing in most every trinity-style MMO. If I can't have a more efficient (and standardized, IMO) healing interface, I'm not going to play that role. And I'll probably sooner-than-otherwise go play a different game, because healing is the role I typically enjoy in MMOs. And so will a lot of other people, I suspect. *shrug*

Before you quit the game or re-roll entirely, do what I did and respec to dps. After 36 levels of fighting the UI instead of the mobs, worrying about disappearing focus bars and focus modifiers that intermittently failed, having my casts cancelled behind cover, and just having a terrible experience, I went concealment, and now I'm having a blast. Leveling is way more fun and faster, pvp is more fun AND I get more commendations for just doing damage than I ever did for just healing.

I'm sure that BW will eventually sort out the healing UI and balance, but for now it is pretty broken.

Bloody newbs learn to heal, you need no mouse over healing to be efficient in this game.

If you want easy mode, head back over to wow. Let those that want to experience something that requires skills enjoy this game

How is mouse-over healing easy-mode compared to clicking? Are my mouse-over macros choosing my spell and my target differently than you do?

Bloody newbs learn to heal, you need no mouse over healing to be efficient in this game.

If you want easy mode, head back over to wow. Let those that want to experience something that requires skills enjoy this game

*le sigh

And right under my post too.

The 'skill' in healing should not come from a superficial difficulty imposed from needing to perform ones role via an archaic interface system. The skill associated with healing comes from managing cool downs, knowing when and where incoming damage is, triage, and a dozen other non interface related things.

Saying that target a player via key bind or click then using an ability is skilled is like claiming that a ditch digger is skilled because they can push their shovel into the dirt.

The interface is simply a quality of life feature and makes performing the 'skilled' tasks more efficient.

That said everyone should want this feature implemented. If the quality of life for healers is better, more people will be willing and capable of performing the roll. If more people can do it, then more will be grouping, and if more are grouping then everyone wins as it will be easier to find a group for everyone.

As someone who has raided progressively for well over 10 years in multiple games and as someone who enjoys healing and tanking, i can tell you that I personally will be doing neither until this functionality is implemented.

We already have makeup for brainless dps, there is no reason it should be superficially more difficult to do so.

I want my healing UI to be like old, turn based RPGs. I want to search through various menus to find the spell I want and then I want to scroll through a list of players until I reach whom I want to heal and then I would like for the healing to commence...eventually. Anyone who wants a more sophisticated way to heal is a bad player. Forsake your advanced healing methods and embrace the past! As a matter of fact, do away with absorbs, HoTs, and AoE heals; real men heal with the standard "heal".

Don't need dual spec because BioWare actually gave us the ability to do decent enough damage to quest and level solo. Mouseover healing is a problem, though.

PvP says hello.

As a matter of fact, do away with absorbs, HoTs, and AoE heals; real men heal with the standard "heal".

The "Sar" line from the PS series would like a quick word with you.

Edited by Bekkal

PvP says hello.

True enough, I wouldn't object to an idea I had for WoW-- charge a ludicrous amount of money for a second spec only able to be activated in a Warfront. I like not having dual spec, though, because with dual spec you get 10 times the tanks and healer but 90% of them have no clue what they're doing.

I want my healing UI to be like old, turn based RPGs. I want to search through various menus to find the spell I want and then I want to scroll through a list of players until I reach whom I want to heal and then I would like for the healing to commence...eventually. Anyone who wants a more sophisticated way to heal is a bad player. Forsake your advanced healing methods and embrace the past! As a matter of fact, do away with absorbs, HoTs, and AoE heals; real men heal with the standard "heal".

I lol'd :eek:

Only if we can get a confirmation box before every cast.