Zabuza's PvP tanking encyclopedia

NamikazeNaruto

Hi, I have a level 49 shadow and have been playing with specs. I notice that of course the dps spec obviously do more dps. But it seems that most shadows are dps specced and I would like to have a tank.

My question is this; is tank specced shadow still viable and worth doing? And also is there a place or could you inform me of the rotation? I would like to find a place that breaks everything down barney style so I can learn what procs what and when and how to use things. I lack in this area, so any help you can offer is much appreciated.

thanks for all your posts and guide.:D

Hmmm... I can only give it to you straight. Shadow tanks are still viable for pug games, but they are not viable for ranked warzones, at least not in the main tanking role. If you're going to get tank gear pretty much any ranked team is going to have you node guarding unless they cannot find a VG or Guardian tank :\. Even if you chose to DPS you would be relegated to the node guard role in ranked matches.

Since I've tested and seen Shadow tank in PTS arena I can also say the same thing about Shadow tank not being viable for arena either in its current state. Guardian tank is almost the default tank for arenas, it is easier for them to CC, and of course they have more survivability than Shadows in an arena setting. VG tank is also more viable because they are able to maintain more survivability while still doing good damage(Dongcleave anyone?) Shadow Infilitration DPS is actually good in arena, though it requires a much higher skill cap to be effective with than a Marauder, which is the default DPS of choice for arena teams.

The rotation I usually did in full kinetic(tank spec) was to spam slow time whenever it was up. Whenever it was not up I would double strike to get a particle acceleration proc and then use project. Once I got 2-3 stacks of Harnessed Shadows I would use my TK throw. Then it's rinse and repeat. Of course I'd also be using Kinetic Ward whenever it was about to go down again.

Edited by NamikazeNaruto

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Check 2 posts before:

"

[...] spam slow time whenever it was up. Whenever it was not up [...] double strike to get a particle acceleration proc and then use project. [...] 2-3 stacks of Harnessed Shadows [...] use my TK throw. Then it's rinse and repeat. [...] Kinetic Ward whenever it was about to go down again.

"

• 3 weeks later...
Hmmm... I can only give it to you straight. Shadow tanks are still viable for pug games, but they are not viable for ranked warzones, at least not in the main tanking role. If you're going to get tank gear pretty much any ranked team is going to have you node guarding unless they cannot find a VG or Guardian tank :\. Even if you chose to DPS you would be relegated to the node guard role in ranked matches.

Since I've tested and seen Shadow tank in PTS arena I can also say the same thing about Shadow tank not being viable for arena either in its current state. Guardian tank is almost the default tank for arenas, it is easier for them to CC, and of course they have more survivability than Shadows in an arena setting. VG tank is also more viable because they are able to maintain more survivability while still doing good damage(Dongcleave anyone?) Shadow Infilitration DPS is actually good in arena, though it requires a much higher skill cap to be effective with than a Marauder, which is the default DPS of choice for arena teams.

The rotation I usually did in full kinetic(tank spec) was to spam slow time whenever it was up. Whenever it was not up I would double strike to get a particle acceleration proc and then use project. Once I got 2-3 stacks of Harnessed Shadows I would use my TK throw. Then it's rinse and repeat. Of course I'd also be using Kinetic Ward whenever it was about to go down again.

interesting - the elite groups owning ranked wz's appear to be using sin tanks. Mainly because with low slash and the other cc's available to sins... the sin can literally stunlock the healer ftw.

interesting - the elite groups owning ranked wz's appear to be using sin tanks. Mainly because with low slash and the other cc's available to sins... the sin can literally stunlock the healer ftw.

If they're using Low Slash then by definition they've spent at least 21 points in the middle tree. So yes, force pull, and kinetic bulwark, but no Slow Time or Harnessed Shadows (and that's assuming they spend nothing in the right-hand tree).