Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

We need more ammo regen

Royox
02.23.2014 , 06:38 PM | #1
Yes. I know, bombers can do that. But it's not enought. They are our only source of regen our missiles and you don't even know if that "repair drone" will refill you or only heal.

It has to be another way to recover our missiles with the bombers...but I'm out of ideas.

Broba
02.23.2014 , 07:53 PM | #2
a medic/engineer support strike fighter would be pretty baller IMO. I don't think they'd rule out more support classes in the future as its something that would make GSF more dynamic and entertaining.

Verain
02.23.2014 , 08:12 PM | #3
Ammo is such a turd of a mechanic.

Armonddd
02.23.2014 , 08:16 PM | #4
Yellow powerups refill ammo. Dying refills ammo. There's really very few circumstances where you need more than that. Bombers are just a nice bonus.

Quote: Originally Posted by Verain View Post
Ammo is such a turd of a mechanic.
Screw realism and resource management, right?
Space Ace of <Death Squadron>, <Black Squadron>, <Eclipse Squadron>, and <solo da>

Verain
02.23.2014 , 08:36 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Armonddd View Post
Yellow powerups refill ammo.
Does this poem need a third stanza?

Zoom_VI
02.23.2014 , 08:41 PM | #6
See? I'm not the only one
Crinn

Sanity is for the weak minded.

Broba
02.23.2014 , 08:53 PM | #7
Yellow powerups refill ammo. Dying refills ammo. There's really very few circumstances where you need more than that. Bombers are just a nice bonus.

I run out of clusters virtually every domination match I play. Why should I have to die to replenish my ammo. There are hardly any bombers that have the ammo regen, and even when they are on I'd have to hunt down their repair drones. It may not be completely necessary but having a more mobile support class would be a cool new feature that I would love to play.

Sindariel
02.23.2014 , 08:56 PM | #8
Only ammo i need to refill all the time are rocket pods. Other missiles are no trouble at all. I usually die before they run out, except i'm up against some newbies and never die.

Verain
02.23.2014 , 08:58 PM | #9
Lemme rant a bit:

Realism is great when it can happen. Infinite and almost instant ship respawns is nonsense already. There's no personal loss, you don't pay credits, you don't have "you have a stable of five ships and when they run out you are done". If you are willing to assume infinite lives- which also give you ammo- then it would be entirely reasonable for friendly satelites and capital ships to refill your ammo....

Or...

Wait for it...

Make it infinite.

Mines are infinite. Blasters are infinite. Drones are infinite. You have an endless supply of ships in the hanger, it is infinite... but each ship has a finite number of missiles (concussion missiles are limited by a cooldown and a max number. Concussion mines, just a cooldown).

So some of these things have mechanical things. Drones have a cooldown. I think we all agree it would make more sense, logically, if your drone carrier could just poop out your 12 drones that fit inside you and then wouldn't have any more. And of COURSE, we should be able to blind fire concussions and protons at the very least, and likely EVERYTHING (that was the mechanical reason for ammo on these powerful items back in X-Wing).

But, the limiting reagent on your missiles isn't really your missiles. Do you ever think it's cool to be out of missiles? The limiting reagent on your missiles is the amount of time you spend locking on to actually SHOOT the missiles, and your targeting versus your opponent's evasion. THAT is the actual mechanic at work here.

Running out of blaster is cool. It means you were shooting a bunch or got tricked into shooting wrong or you just are spent. It also comes back quick, and there's options to make it a bit cheaper.

Running out of missiles adds NOTHING to the game except for a good player running their sting into an asteroid to get a refill. Because realistically, that's what you would do, right?

Or find a yellow powerup. Also realistic. I remember when Luke Skywalker got damage overcharge, who can forget that cinematic moment?

Broba
02.23.2014 , 09:06 PM | #10
Its not about realism of infinite ammo, its about competitive advantage and strategic usage. Not to mention they'd have to completely change the tier system of clusters as some of them swap lower capacity for higher dps. Capacity extenders would also be rendered useless. It would be an unnecessary overhaul.