Is the Lore going too much in the Favor of...

almostinsane

The Republic?

I've read much of the spoilers on the new book, Annihilation and it seems to me that the War is shifting in favor of the Republic a little much. It seems like nothing I did with my Imperial characters matter. I was hoping that the War would be close and maybe wouldn't be resolved for centuries considering this takes place over three thousand years before the films and one thousand years before the New Sith Empire in current canon.

Or is it just me? I searched the forums and couldn't find a thread like this. I am sorry if I missed any.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not necessarily. There has been some implication that the Republic Post-Ruusan Reformation was different than the Republic before the said Reformation. And the Republic had a Dark Age ate one point where they maintained only control of the Core Worlds. This could imply that the Republic could go through different Republics. The nation of France in real life, for example, is on its Fourth Republic.

Well, considering it's the same Republic of the Clone Wars, they essentially have to win every war that would otherwise result in their dissolution.

It's actually not the same.

About the only thing they have in common is a name and they hold the same 'land', to an extent.

There were fundamental changes made to the Republic after the Dark Ages.

Also

1. The Empire could rule for a time, like 50-500 years, then get over thrown. It has happened before, or it will as the case my be.

2. Eventual Republic victory doesn't have to be immediate. The Hundred Years war lasted for over a hundred years with ups and downs before France won.

Wars don't have to end over night in SWTOR.

And as an Empire player it is pretty dam annoying to have all of my achievements ignored or undone by the Republic. It doesn't help that the new novel all but says that the Empire is on it's last legs and the Republic is on the short road to victory.

So yay for me look at all I accomplished.

We've only done the first 3 chapters. We don't know what will happen next. Lots of things can happen to shift the balance of power back and forth pretty much indefinitely, given how fare away we are from known history.

I really hope so. I think the Empire players deserve some canon victories, enough to make sure the Empire remains for a long time yet. It won't do the game good for one of the two sides to be losing badly. At least make it a stalemate. :(

I agree. I'd like to see more Imperial victories in the storylines. I mean, we lose Balmorra, Corellia, Malgus, the Emperor (not that I want that *** to win), Imperial Intelligence, etc. etc. It's quite disheartening to learn that all your Imperial effort is moot once you play through planets on the Republic side. What do we win? Yay Taris, a swampy, contaminated wasteland full of zombies.

I agree. I'd like to see more Imperial victories in the storylines. I mean, we lose Balmorra, Corellia, Malgus, the Emperor (not that I want that *** to win), Imperial Intelligence, etc. etc. It's quite disheartening to learn that all your Imperial effort is moot once you play through planets on the Republic side. What do we win? Yay Taris, a swampy, contaminated wasteland full of zombies.

Taris in particular hurts because that one is more of a SYMBOLIC victory. It doesn't hold some great secret to the force, an important resource, or even act as a staging ground for further expansion! The people in charge just don't want to see it rebuilt because Malak destroyed it, and they think it's a good symbol of Sith strength!

Rakghouls not zombies.

I think a big thing is that, until Palpatine, the Republic never fell. No matter the enemy, no matter the threat, the Republic held strong.

It fought the Sith and their puppets mutiple times throughout it's history: Naga Sadow, Exar Kun, Mandalore the Ultimate, Revan, Vitiate, Ruin, and Kaan. Mutiple times it came close to destruction, but it always pulled through.

That's what made the Sith victory of Palpatine all the more important, that the Sith realized that the Republic could never actually be beaten by an outside force because no matter how messed up the Republic was, when enemies attacked the Republic got their "stuff" together and fought it back. It took Palpatine BECOMING the Republic and destroying it from within to finally work, because no threat, no matter HOW powerful was capable of facing it and actually destroying it.

It's my understanding (Having played only the Knight game all the way through) that at the end of the game, the Republic has won the war. There is still some skirmishing going on, but essentially, the war ends with a fairly resounding Republic victory.

Was there something I missed?

Yeah, you missed the member of the Star Cabal becoming the new Supreme Chancellor.

The conflict will never end :cool:

You can blame it on my Inquisitor and Bounty Hunter who took every option that screwed over the Empire ^_^

What does it matter anyways? You know the Empire loses for quite some time, and then still loses. One of the reasons I thought they should of went AFTER ROTJ. Then everything is free to go from there.

Oh please... the Empire represents evil, and in what good story does the evil prevail? The empire is meant to lose because it's full of bad guys, and plot requires them to eventually fail

So what really matters is to know, which chapter we're on!

Chapter 1: Good wins

Chapter 2: Evil wins

Chapter 3: Good wins

Then it repeats itself!

Taris in particular hurts because that one is more of a SYMBOLIC victory. It doesn't hold some great secret to the force, an important resource, or even act as a staging ground for further expansion! The people in charge just don't want to see it rebuilt because Malak destroyed it, and they think it's a good symbol of Sith strength!

It gets worse, because kicking the Republic off Taris gets Saresh, who is apparently much more competent than Janarus, back on Coruscant in the Chancellor seat. So in the long term, Taris was a win, but the fallout actually hurt the Empire.

And no, Saresh is not in the Star Cabal. But that also makes it worse for the Empire. The Cabal wants both sides destroyed...Saresh on the other hand only has one front to fight.

In the context it is presented in the game, I actually like the fact that the Republic wins right now. In the entire pre-game lore, the republic was mainly loosing. They did win some victories, but they were always combined with great sacrifice, did mainly slow down the Empires advances and ended in the sacking of Coruscant.

Now, in the game, when the war starts again, the Empire is in the offensive again (because they started the war again, of course.) So the Empire invades the second most Important Republic world (Corellia) and the second most important Jedi world (Ilum). The Republic succeeds and takes these planets back.

Now, finally, we get the chance to see a republic counter offensive. Yes, I agree that there should be a major imperial victory. But please let it happen on an imperial planet the republic invades. (I suggest Ziost*.)

*I would like 3 planets in Chapter 4, with Ziost as the final one. There the Empire lures the republic into a trap and manages to destroy almost the complete invasion force, which significantly weakens the Republic.

Edited by Maaruin

The Empire does need a huge victory here though, and i do wonder what chapter 4 will bring. Does anyone think that the imperial agent will get to kill/fight theron shan? Just a guess but i just can see that as a major story boss fight.

The Empire does need a huge victory here though, and i do wonder what chapter 4 will bring. Does anyone think that the imperial agent will get to kill/fight theron shan? Just a guess but i just can see that as a major story boss fight.

Dunno, but since Malgus is down, the Empire doesn't have anymore a "leader" while the Republic still have Satele; and since you brought the Shan, I thought it would be fun if she turned into the Dark Side.

Oh please... the Empire represents evil, and in what good story does the evil prevail? The empire is meant to lose because it's full of bad guys, and plot requires them to eventually fail

Only two that I know of, and in the ends of both stories, the evil victor was eventually destroyed.

In the Godzilla movie Godzilla, Mothra, King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters, All out Attack (the Japanese is less difficult to say, Daikaiju Sokugeki. We ususally say GMK), Godzilla is some sort of mystical evil thing. He actually kills Baragon, Mothra, and King Ghidorah, who are some sort of guardian monsters (stupid premise, awesome movie. Fairly bad effects). Though, in the end, Godzilla is destroyed by a kamikazie submariner.

As a long time Civilization fan, when Alpha Centauri came out, I got it. What I didn't know is that there was a trilogy of novels released with the game. In Centauri Dawn, the Spartans (bad guys) conquer the Peacekeepers (good guys). I was very disappointed, and it was a major buzz killer. Then in Twilight of the mind, the Spartans get hit with an overcharged Planet Buster, which anihilates their entire faction by blowing up a quarter of the world.

There's a whole lot of time before the empire needs to be defeated, much longer than our character's lifetimes. This being an mmo, I expect that victory will go back and forth in relatively minor ways as long as there's a game, and that the real victories will be against third parties.

Only two that I know of, and in the ends of both stories, the evil victor was eventually destroyed.

In the Godzilla movie Godzilla, Mothra, King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters, All out Attack (the Japanese is less difficult to say, Daikaiju Sokugeki. We ususally say GMK), Godzilla is some sort of mystical evil thing. He actually kills Baragon, Mothra, and King Ghidorah, who are some sort of guardian monsters (stupid premise, awesome movie. Fairly bad effects). Though, in the end, Godzilla is destroyed by a kamikazie submariner.

As a long time Civilization fan, when Alpha Centauri came out, I got it. What I didn't know is that there was a trilogy of novels released with the game. In Centauri Dawn, the Spartans (bad guys) conquer the Peacekeepers (good guys). I was very disappointed, and it was a major buzz killer. Then in Twilight of the mind, the Spartans get hit with an overcharged Planet Buster, which anihilates their entire faction by blowing up a quarter of the world.

Doesn't that trilogy end with most of humanity being destroyed anyway by the mindworms?

Edited by OldVengeance