Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Update on Ability Delay from Georg

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Update on Ability Delay from Georg
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Spangles
01.30.2012 , 04:04 PM | #581
lol@ bird attacks.

Folks rave about WoW,.. but Cata had herbs that would aggro on you, attack, and break you out of stealth in PvP quest areas ^^

Latest bug update - i'm getting some imp gunslinger firing blaster rounds which stop input responsiveness, but also mean that my toon can't stop running/turning. Same multiple cc situation, although twice now in simple combat. It makes Huttball impossibe. When i res i am still running out of control.... not noticed this one before just a spec i've not fought or a new bug?

Are we going to get any kind of clarification on this issue before the patch(es) is (might be) implemented? It seems that there are a great number of situational and class related issues. At least if i had an idea how to avoid problems i might get some playability.

For e.g. is this linked to my using the "ctrl" in binding hotkeys, 'cos i still can't move if i have [ctrl] pressed.....

Larlar
01.30.2012 , 06:08 PM | #582
Quote: Originally Posted by Spangles View Post

For e.g. is this linked to my using the "ctrl" in binding hotkeys, 'cos i still can't move if i have [ctrl] pressed.....
This is an incredibly important issue for my personal play aswell. Its not directly related to ability delay but its one issue among many that makes my play less than enjoyable on occasion. And given people in the know are probably reading this thread...

Please get working on allowing us to purge all keybind functions please and not just the seemingly random ones some guy put on a list some time during testing. Permanent keybinds, especially when linked to ctrl, and even more especially when linked to movement keys, are utterly ridiculous.

I grind to a halt in pvp on a daily basis by accidentally hitting ctrl+a in combat - and that happens to be a permanent unchangeable bind to the incredibly important "Ambience On/Off" function. Yes... I know.

Spangles
01.30.2012 , 07:03 PM | #583
y i really so badly need to be able to hotkey switch ambience on during combat with 2 Sith and a gunslinger bugging me - i find it improves the quality of the experience.

Wikar
01.31.2012 , 11:30 AM | #584
1.1.1 goes live, ability delay still not FULLY fixed, any new deadline? 1.2 patch?

I know placebo can work for some people, but i have investigated "clunky" combat before i even know where swtor forum is :), so im not realised this issue right after i watched youtube videos, i can feel it right in the game and i know exactly where to look.

Slightlycampana
01.31.2012 , 01:02 PM | #585
I haven't tried combat in today's patch (1.1.1 1/31/2012) but saw that there are two fixes for ability delay issues. I hope these help, and even if these two fixes don't sort all the problems, it's good to know that you are looking into it and working on it. Thanks!
Completed polls (results being collated):
Faction choice
Results of closed polls:
Dual speccing

Fellthar
01.31.2012 , 01:54 PM | #586
My sith warrior was almost unplayable yesterday due to the amount of times I would have to click a button before it would go off (note, by click I mean hit my keybind, I don't actually click). This happened constantly, and after reading today's patch notes I note that the bug fix for some abilities displaying off cooldown when they really are not (or something to this effect). Today, I have not yet once noticed a situation that I clicked an ability and it did not trigger as expected, so for me this has made my sith warrior fun again. This fix was needed and wanted, thanks.

Matteis
01.31.2012 , 01:58 PM | #587
The issue is still better but nooooot quite fixed yet. My Force Leap failed to activate several times so far today, but Riposte is working MUCH better.

Keep at it.
Annihilation Droid XRR-3: "I have been armed with twenty-four distinct weapons technologies."
Squadron 157, server HK-47, August 5th, 2011.

Spangles
01.31.2012 , 02:03 PM | #588
Display fix helps, but no change to he feeling that my controls are frozen out.

Godfather
01.31.2012 , 02:22 PM | #589
I have played my Guardian for a couple of hours today after the new patch and it seems that ability delays aren't completely fixed. There are times where you click and still nothing happens. I'm hoping this will be addressed soon.

The most serious issue for me personally is the animation stutter. It is has become really annoying and it just breaks the gameplay. It seems a bit worse after todays patch. Almost every ability i use, stutters and the animation resets before it goes off. Looks especially bad on Force Sweep, Blade Storm and Master Strike. It makes the combat look so slow, although it really isn't from the few times that it all goes smoothly for a few seconds. I hope there is a fix for this soon cause it's driving me mad.

Faulhaber
01.31.2012 , 03:44 PM | #590
This should never ever been started to be removed from the game.

I bet this hysteria about ability delay was started by players that used to play another mmo and wanted to make a clone here so they would be already be familiar with the playstyle... pay attention to the cooldowns or enemy casting bar and press x.

I think it was revolutionary watching animations in order to decide what to do, use a faster counter or move out. Of course it would require some tweaking in order to make the system better, but I enjoyed much more watching and learning enemy moves and reacting properly.

A pity it can't be that way anymore, as a lot of class balancing would need to be done as some class abilities were specifically designed to be that way and have an execution time.

Really sad, regarding gameplay mechanic there are other games much superior now as SWTOR attempts to be a clone.

I really hope a massive FPS with RPG elements gets done soon to draw these masses away and true mmorpgs would have a niche back again.