Why kill Synthweaving and Armormech with free Tionese sets?

Maestrodomus

Is anyone else concerned with this? I've been a Synthweaver (added an Armormech sometime along the way) since launch. I've made a nice sum to support myself and our guild by crafting epic 49 belts, bracers, boots, and gloves for all classes and specs through Synth/Armor. You can make and sell these for reasonable costs and it keeps a healthy economy and money sink flowing.

Why would they kill this by giving every fresh 50 a set of Tionese which renders these useless and leaves Synth and Armormechs with only the annoying augment market to make any money?

Well, Cartel Market and recent updates are making sweeping oversights regarding crafting. While I've always enjoyed crafting, I wouldn't rely on it too heavily for a while, either for income or entertainment, until the cartel market comes into its own. My guess would be for the first expansion (Makeb?) before crafting gets a serious looking into.

Well, Cartel Market and recent updates are making sweeping oversights regarding crafting. While I've always enjoyed crafting, I wouldn't rely on it too heavily for a while, either for income or entertainment, until the cartel market comes into its own. My guess would be for the first expansion (Makeb?) before crafting gets a serious looking into.

You can still make a ton with augments but it's much more involved.

As far as the campaign stuff; it's not worth it, especially since they're currently 4th BiS compared to 63 modded shells, dread armor, and 61 modded shells.

Don't forget Cybertech getting thrown under the bus as well, with the best ship parts being bought with Cartel Coins.

All I can say is thier apparent disregard for the community as they chase the almighty dollar never ceases to amaze me.

If only they would wake up and notice that "Free To Plays" don't typically craft. So, the people you are ignoring, or upsetting, are the exact folks you claim to be trying to grow.

"Common Sense Isn't."

Regards,

-GH

Edited by Grashopper
tyop

Making 49 gear is not a good way to make money off these skills, and never has been. The time or credit cost of materials is huge, and the profit is nil because they're bested by even the lousy recruit set you get for free at 50, or the Tionese that you could get with trivial effort before the free gift.

The only money in these trades is augments and orange sets, particularly low level orange belts and bracers, if you have the creds and patience to camp GTN for the patterns. The mats are cheap to farm, the profit is good because supply is low (due to the stupidly rare drops on schematics for these two slots), and people gearing up alts will pay a healthy price for them because you're only competing with either super expensive legacy belts or the very rare event gear (which, thanks to cash shop, you can be sure we will not be seeing any more of ever, as the current Life Day "event" proves).

So far BW has been so incredibly lazy with the CM stuff that they can't manage to even repaint a couple spare belt and bracer patterns for the $12 recycled twentieth-repaint-of-the-same-old-skin sets they've dumped in there. So for now orange belts are still an easy sell, especially at low levels.

Once that's gone though, it's pretty much just augments. But it's been that way for a long time now. Don't expect to see any new itemization come into the game except through the cash shop, and you can be sure that anything which stands in the way of profit on "new" cash shop junk will swiftly be nerfed, broken, or stealth patched out of the game to make way for it.

Edited by Heezdedjim

I think they're even out the screwing over crafting skills.

First, the lvl 10 crystals with columi stats (take that Artifice !). Now the ship parts. And the tionese sets.

I think Biochem should be next. Level 10 implants with columi stats from cartel shop. Yes. That should do it.

Your experience is vastly different than mine. I spent quite a bit of time unlocking an excellent set of level 49 purple gear on my armormech, suitable for dps/healing Troopers and dps/healing Smugglers.

And yet, few people were interesting in paying for them, most of the people that took advantage of it were guildies who exchanged materials for gear.

As I've been leveling alts, it wasn't even worth crafting that gear for myself, as I have plenty of unused Columi/Rakata tokens in my cargo hold that I could use as a starting point for new characters (via moddable legacy gear).

The only significant profit I make with crafting is selling raw materials (rather than finished products). Bioware has done many things that reduces the effectiveness of crafting as an activity. Free Tionese is somewhere at the bottom of the list.

Edited by Khevar

Making 49 gear is not a good way to make money off these skills, and never has been. The time or credit cost of materials is huge, and the profit is nil because they're bested by even the lousy recruit set you get for free at 50, or the Tionese that you could get with trivial effort before the free gift.

The only money in these trades is augments and orange sets, particularly low level orange belts and bracers, if you have the creds and patience to camp GTN for the patterns. The mats are cheap to farm, the profit is good because supply is low (due to the stupidly rare drops on schematics for these two slots), and people gearing up alts will pay a healthy price for them because you're only competing with either super expensive legacy belts or the very rare event gear (which, thanks to cash shop, you can be sure we will not be seeing any more of ever, as the current Life Day "event" proves).

So far BW has been so incredibly lazy with the CM stuff that they can't manage to even repaint a couple spare belt and bracer patterns for the $12 recycled twentieth-repaint-of-the-same-old-skin sets they've dumped in there. So for now orange belts are still an easy sell, especially at low levels.

Once that's gone though, it's pretty much just augments. But it's been that way for a long time now. Don't expect to see any new itemization come into the game except through the cash shop, and you can be sure that anything which stands in the way of profit on "new" cash shop junk will swiftly be nerfed, broken, or stealth patched out of the game to make way for it.

You're entirely incorrect. I've made well over 100 million selling those and augments. You can easily sell them for twice their worth at roughly 20-30K profit per item. This greater than the average margin on Synth and Armor augment sales. The difference being the high volume at which you can move augments, but that requires a lot more effort to stay on top of fluctuating augmentator prices and withstand the peaks and valleys.

You're entirely incorrect. I've made well over 100 million selling those and augments. You can easily sell them for twice their worth at roughly 20-30K profit per item. This greater than the average margin on Synth and Armor augment sales. The difference being the high volume at which you can move augments, but that requires a lot more effort to stay on top of fluctuating augmentator prices and withstand the peaks and valleys.

And you could have made 300 million doing something else with the same time and effort.

My first thought was, "What level 50 runs around in level 49 gear when you get recruit gear for free?" Someone already mentioned that tho. Each time I've hit 50 on a toon, I was in pvp gear in no time using that for pve until I could get geared better with Columi or Rakata. In most cases I skipped over the tionese set until they gave it away free.

I make my money on Armormech, Cybertech and BioChem selling level 9-45 gear or the moddable oranges. BioChem i usually only sell items level 40 and under and recently discovered Slicing for my level 31 toon. There's money to be made but not selling the level 50 gear unless its moddable.

Free Tionese isn't the problem.

The problem is the multiple ways the devs have shot crafting in the foot.

Let's start with the fact they never added patterns for Tionese / Columi / Rakata level items that could be crafted and sold to other players (save the very few items like Columi implants and such).

As subsequent content was released, more items of higher levels should have been made available to the crafting community and ultimately the player base. Then they would not need to hand out free Tionese to help fresh 50s in catching up with the gear curve.

Add to that the fact that players can grab drops or buy gear with unused commendations all the way up to current BIS stuff (63), rip the mods, drop it in legacy gear, and pass it to alts.

Thus the market for any gear outside the end-game BIS stuff is only for newer players as alts of longer term / active players players simply get hand-me-down and unused drops that far surpass anything a fresh 50 is able to acquire.

And while this may be unpopular with many, I feel anything that is bound, including the mods, should NOT be able to be passed to alts.

Imagine the end game crafting scene if all skills were able to make items up through Rakata level without jumping through too many hoops, and some Campaign gear with drops from Operations, and no one was able to instant gear their alts by passing bound gear mods through legacy gear.

Edited by DawnAskham

Free Tionese isn't the problem.

The problem is the multiple ways the devs have shot crafting in the foot.

You forgot to mention the Cartel Market. All those shiny looking outfits on the CM are much nicer than the drab looking robes I can craft as a synthweaver. I am selling significantly fewer items these days - despite reducing prices to almost break-even point*. I have had a few augmented, purple items on the market for literally months. These days it's pretty much only the orange shells that sell at all, and by the time you've bought the component stacks to craft them your margins are lower than wages in a Tionese sweatshop ;)

*big thanks to all the idiots selling items, especially augmented ones, for less than the cost of the raw components :rolleyes:

Is anyone else concerned with this? I've been a Synthweaver (added an Armormech sometime along the way) since launch. I've made a nice sum to support myself and our guild by crafting epic 49 belts, bracers, boots, and gloves for all classes and specs through Synth/Armor. You can make and sell these for reasonable costs and it keeps a healthy economy and money sink flowing.

Why would they kill this by giving every fresh 50 a set of Tionese which renders these useless and leaves Synth and Armormechs with only the annoying augment market to make any money?

Note: most F2P'ers cant use purple gear and by extension Tionese.

But I agree that devs have been consistently and intentionally undermining crafting for a long time now. I want it to stop.

My first thought was, "What level 50 runs around in level 49 gear when you get recruit gear for free?" Someone already mentioned that tho.

note: recruit gear is utter garbage for pve. Actually in pvp as well.

Edited by Karkais

Too true, and as they slowly Customise everything we will lose more of the market. Take them customising Shield generators and all that next it will be earpieces and implants sooo stupid.

So far BW has been so incredibly lazy with the CM stuff that they can't manage to even repaint a couple spare belt and bracer patterns for the $12 recycled twentieth-repaint-of-the-same-old-skin sets they've dumped in there. So for now orange belts are still an easy sell, especially at low levels. Once that's gone though . . .

. . . and now it is, thanks to the new six piece adaptive level 1 sets. All those orange sets you spent months farming and buying for Armormech and Synth . . . now worth zippo. I'm still amazed though that they're so unbelievably lazy that they can't manage to make one FULL set of armor for $12. It's twelve dollars per character or companion, at least make these crap sets FULL SETS you greedy bums.

Edited by Heezdedjim

Note: most F2P'ers cant use purple gear and by extension Tionese.

But I agree that devs have been consistently and intentionally undermining crafting for a long time now. I want it to stop.

note: recruit gear is utter garbage for pve. Actually in pvp as well.

I don't see how when it has better stats than Tionese gear in most cases. But since I've been playing, I've usually had BM or WH gear for PvE until I was geared well enough for most HM's and Ops groups. Even then, some of the pvp gear has Waaaaaayyyy better stats than some end game pve gear.

I can't speak for Synthweaving and Armormech as they are not my main crew skill.

My main has Biochem while my alt has Synthweaving.

Because I was long gone since 1.1, I have a belief that I won't be able to catch up with endgame crafter. This leads me to low level crafting. I invested time and resources to get 4 purple schematics per implants tier with appropriate stat allocation (mostly toward dps). Then, I sell them on GTN for 3 times the (expected) price to acquire the materials. I notice the market for lowbie isn't very competitive because it gives small profit. Most people buy my crafted implants within a day or two. I could sell blue implant but I think that purple implant is more attractive to people with alt. F2P will probably won't buy much.

The byproduct of this process is a lot of augment slot so I decided to go for Synthweaving on my alt (I pick class that give me +cri Synth and +cri Slicing) With little more effort, I can sell augment kit at lowest market. I sent 500k credits to my alt to unlock legacy crafting perks. Now, my alt gain 500k back. There are still more augment kit that I own. I don't want to flood the market with augment kit because I want to make it look like the supply is low.

To summarize, my marketing approach is to gain small but steady profit while maintaining a low risk. However, I can see the problem with endgame crafting. The endgame is constantly changing so there is a risk that you have to carry. Implant is different from moddable gear because people change implant as they level up.

Don't forget Cybertech getting thrown under the bus as well, with the best ship parts being bought with Cartel Coins.

All I can say is thier apparent disregard for the community as they chase the almighty dollar never ceases to amaze me.

If only they would wake up and notice that "Free To Plays" don't typically craft. So, the people you are ignoring, or upsetting, are the exact folks you claim to be trying to grow.

"Common Sense Isn't."

Regards,

-GH

I can understand the frustration. Many of us that have been subscribers since the beginning see it. However, keep in mind that these steps they are talking are literally to keep this mmo alive at all. They're going to make mistakes, and hopefully they'll fix them. You're right in everything you're saying, it's just the reality is, they are between a rock and a hard oplace. Hopefully, they'll see things like these posts and get it right. Time will tell. In the mean time, I still make a crap load of credits from farming. :)

There's money to be made but not selling the level 50 gear unless its moddable.

That's exactly right. It requires a slight rethinking in strategy, but you can make a lot of credits keeping it at about lvl 40 or below. The crafting mats alone are rediculously priced at times on the GTN.

Something tells me things aren't going to remain like this anyway. I'd be surprised if we didn't see some major changes by/at the expansion.

That's exactly right. It requires a slight rethinking in strategy, but you can make a lot of credits keeping it at about lvl 40 or below. The crafting mats alone are rediculously priced at times on the GTN.

Something tells me things aren't going to remain like this anyway. I'd be surprised if we didn't see some major changes by/at the expansion.

God I hope so but as they didn't even say 'new level recipies for crafters' and the fact that current BiS will be viable at the 55 end game (or so it appears), meaning new gathering materials are unlikely, suggests not :(

Why would anyone care about free Tionese when free Recruit gear is much better?

On a different note, my wife and I leveled our last 50s at the exact same time on the same mob.

I got the free Tionese, she did not - more great coding from EAWare. :D

Well, i'm armormech and synthweaver.

I still do profit like 500k / day on both combinded (1M on weekend peaks) with minimum effort. I buy all materials off GTN (as going off on purely gathering is time waste). I just buy materials only if there is good price (in my book it's up to 500 per piece). If i dont have mats for particular goods, i dont panic and buy for like 1k a piec mats - i just wait, dont craft it and in day or 2 i get my price ...

I craft 90% only belts and bracers (the least materials, the biggest prices) I craft only orange versions. The purples are nosellers.

I still do good. You need to take in consideration, that ppl also like their companions, so they buy belts etc etc for them ... every alt you start it's up to 5 companions to gear up ....

Robes, pants etc are not good since you can all get from loot / quests (with a few exceptions, since few robes / pants are cool looking - but it's scarce). It takes me let's say hour a day to log on both crafts, buy mats, do sales. For my part is still consider it well spent time.

The only reason bioware gave players free tionese at 50 was so that when a f2p player ding 50, gets their free gear, they now have a fast and easy reason to buy the gear requisitions. That's it. If bioware left it up to the gtn and daily zones, that impulse buy would be gone. This way, you ding and in the excitment of dinging 50, getting all this free gear, you might as well buy the unlock or sub. It's only starring you in the face the moment you ding 50. Great marketing scam.