Intentional disconnect's

Sathid

Many Imperials on The Bastion are using a switch apparently to stun players for extended periods of time and recieve no damage,i have been suspecting some foul stuff was going on when large lag spikes would occur and teammates being melted in seconds right before a pause or lag,i myself was stunned for over a minute in a Voidstar last week and have tried to recreate that to no avail with my guildmates (We have both Repub and Imp mirror guild).

Furthermore i was informed while chatting with someone who plays primarily Imperial that it has got to the point you almost expect it now when Imp vs Imp,he said he couldnt imagine what it is like being a Repub and going against this baloney,,i dont understand entiely how it is done,he explained it to me and said i could "Look around" but i have no wish to do that,but it is very frustrating to know that my guilmates and i were correct when we first started seeing this,we discussed at length and a trend started with certain named players and guilds that you would see this,but now it is even in the pre 50 WZ's..

Bioware,find a way to detect these people if you cannot already and bann them,there is no excuse for this.

Edit:

Terms for this activity are "tapping' "Lag Switch" and "Flipping" use google and you will see what i am speaking about.

Edited by Sathid

Well here's an explanation that i shall copy to here.

"Artificial lag

In the peer-to-peer gaming model, lagging is what happens when the stream of data between one or more players gets slowed or interrupted, causing movement to stutter and make opponents appear to behave erratically. By using a lag switch, a player is able to disrupt upload from the console to the server, while their own console queues up the actions performed. The goal is to gain advantage over another player without reciprocation; opponents slow down or stop moving, allowing the lag switch user to easily outmaneuver them. From the opponents' perspective, the player using the device may appear to be teleporting, invisible or invincible, while the opponents suffer delayed animations and fast-forwarded game play, delivered in bursts.[4] Some gaming communities refer to this method as "tapping" which refers to the users "tapping" on and off their internet connection to create the lag.

"The term "lag switch" encompasses many methods of disrupting the network communication between a console and its server. One method is by attaching a physical device, called a hardware lag switch, to a standard Ethernet cable. By flipping the switch on and off, the physical connection between the console and the server is disrupted.[5] This can also be achieved by simply unplugging the Ethernet cord going to the console, causing a disruption in the player's internet connection. Other methods, called a software or wireless lag switch, involve using a computer program. In this method, the cheater runs an application on a computer connected to the same network as the console. The application hogs the network bandwidth, disrupting the communication between the console and its server. An example of such an application is Laggsta.[6] However, one cannot do this for an unlimited amount of time. Usually, having no internet connection for 30 seconds will cause one's character / player to be kicked from the game due to inactivity / no internet connection."

Edited by Sathid

I am confident this conduct goes on in SWTOR pvp. I pray Bioware wakes up and gets on the ban ball or PVP, which is the only saving grace this game has left, is dead.

BTW be ready for all the hackers to now pile on with the normal round of denials...

The big question is how can they use this? some people use many different ISP's lag time etc you cannot ban people because of their crappy connection.

However it is very easy to use the "Metrics" to isolate those that use them in within a certain time frame,thus BW or EA could wipe it out if they wished.

Edit:I do CS work for Arenanet.

And i have banned over a 100 people already.

Edited by Sathid

Point is ,is that we should be thankul that BW did not include Rated due to this,as weare aware there is a certain percent of the pop that does not wish to play fair ( I know from being from three different MMO's) that it is very easy to see who does these things,and act accordingly,i had my issue's with Heaven and Earth in EQ2 trust me it wasnt a fun ride.

That all said every member deserves a good and fair playing experience in SWTOR or for that matter any other game,yes the CS people sometimes take alittle time,but they are bind by certain criterias,however if you do report stuff,,yah it will be looked into,not gonna say exactly how but it happens and alotmore than people think,anyhow take all and MAY the Forcwe be with You

The day I played while at the office on the weekend using an air card while watching stuff load, I saw where having a crap connection could be like cheating. Posted on these forums about it, actually. I finished the WZ I was in completing my daily for the then leveling toon, and didn't queue again, because I felt like it was cheap and assumed (even hoped really) that if I continued I might get in trouble and have my account banned.

It would not surprise me if this is done on purpose. Especially if there are no consequences.

You'd be surprised how common Lag Switching really is, and not just in MMOs either.

I can't count the number of times a server was shut down in MW3 because too many players were abusing them (that much lag gets detected and the server closes the game because it believes a problem exists).

Bioware,find a way to detect these people if you cannot already and bann them,there is no excuse for this.

You usually don't post QQ type stuff so I'm willing to give you the benefit of the doubt. I read the information you provided and the activity described definitely sounds bad. I'm not sure if I've personally encountered this or not. However, do you have a Fraps of this? Or any sort of evidence at all?

Not saying this to troll, just pointing out that if you want BW to take your claim seriously, you need to provide them with some data or evidence to work with. If this really does happen, and it is the same players doing it all the time, then documenting the problem should not be difficult. Fraps is free. Use that, make a file, and open a trouble ticket with an explanation of what occurred.

That seems to me to be the best way to deal with this.