Gathering only???

McAbeast

I was thinking of only gathering while leveling to 50. I could stockpile mats and sell at the GTN for credits. I could use this to buy what I need.

Then when I hit 50 I could drop slicing and pick up a crafting skill which I will already have plenty of mats for.

Anyone else thinking of doing this and will I lose any major leveling items by doing this?

Nothing to stop you from doing this. Yes, you could make lots of credits with only gathering/mission skills. However, to make it worthwhile, you pretty well have to sell everything you get, leaving you to re-gather all the mats you'll need if/when you do go crafting. You are far better off going crafting at the start, to level all your crew skills at the same time.

But it is up to you.

I was thinking of only gathering while leveling to 50. I could stockpile mats and sell at the GTN for credits. I could use this to buy what I need.

Then when I hit 50 I could drop slicing and pick up a crafting skill which I will already have plenty of mats for.

Anyone else thinking of doing this and will I lose any major leveling items by doing this?

I'm going the same route, based on playing beta and how broke I was when it came time to buy my speeder at level 25.

Leveling up slicing can be profitable, so there's no worry about sending your companion out on those missions.

The most common items to gather in the field is scavenging and bioanalysis since MANY of the enemies you will encounter will be either droid or beast.

Scavenging/Bioanalysis/Slicing

It's probably the most lucrative way to go, at least until you have your speeder out of the way and have credits to spend.

I'm going the same route, based on playing beta and how broke I was when it came time to buy my speeder at level 25.

Leveling up slicing can be profitable, so there's no worry about sending your companion out on those missions.

The most common items to gather in the field is scavenging and bioanalysis since MANY of the enemies you will encounter will be either droid or beast.

Scavenging/Bioanalysis/Slicing

It's probably the most lucrative way to go, at least until you have your speeder out of the way and have credits to spend.

I had 3 level 200+ professions when I hit 25 and could easily afford it. I hadn't exactly sold anything (except to vendors), and I had 10k creds left AFTER buying it.

I don't know where you went wrong, but you went wrong somewhere.

I think the problem you will run into is that it's going to be another 50-level grind to get your new skills up to 400. And from what I read, you can't level crafting skills from zero just anywhere; so there is no powerleveling a skill working on level 50 items just because you have the mats for them. I think you might even have to head back to low level zones in order to get missions to grind skills up from zero.

Also, gathering skills alone won't give you all the pieces you need to make stuff you actually want. The designated craft / gather / mission skills are designed to work together and be leveled together, so you will be missing out on most of the rare mats you need if you only have gathering skills.

Slicing was also nerfed near the end of beta, so it's not a credit faucet like it was; in fact it's kind of a wash now from what I read. Keep in mind that all of your missions are going to cost you credits to run, and if you're not either generating income or saving yourself credits at least as much in consumables or gear as you're spending, then it turns into a credits black hole while leveling.

If you're leveling up the skill as you go, for the purpose of getting what it will give you at endgame, then the cost is worth it, and pretty much required if you want the BOP or resusable purple items. But otherwise you're going to probably wind up making less than you spend, or spending a huge amount of credits warehousing mats, then spending even more to go back and grind crafting all over again.

Edited by Heezdedjim

I was considering going Slicing, Underworld Trading and Investigation until I got all the schematics I wanted for Cybertech (Speeder Bike, Willpower Earpiece, all the grenades)

Then dropping Investigation and Slicing for Cybertech and Salvaging.

Thoughts?

I was considering going Slicing, Underworld Trading and Investigation until I got all the schematics I wanted for Cybertech (Speeder Bike, Willpower Earpiece, all the grenades) Then dropping Investigation and Slicing for Cybertech and Salvaging. Thoughts?

The BOP and reuseable consumable items like grenades require a certain level of the crafting skill in order to use. Other stuff like speeder bikes and whatever I assume do not.

Remember you aloud to have more than one avator, just my 2 cents

I guess you could just have an alt devoted only to gathering skills. You would have plenty of storage space, your inventory, ship bank, guild bank, and other alts for storage.

People don't loot. You gotta loot and sell EVERYTHING on the way up, and you will be fine. Loot and sell, loot and sell. Otherwise, you WILL be poor.

Not sure if it's the problem in this case, but people underestimate this. When The Burning Crusade came out, I picked up an addon that would auto-vendor gray stuff, and keep a running total of how much it sold the items for. By the time I was done questing on one toon, I had earned over half of what I'd need for epic flight just off of a single toon.

This is especially relevant in SWTOR, where at any time when you won't need your companion for a minute, you can send them off to sell all the gray stuff in your inventory, even if you're nowhere near a vendor.

This is especially relevant in SWTOR, where at any time when you won't need your companion for a minute, you can send them off to sell all the gray stuff in your inventory, even if you're nowhere near a vendor.

yeah, about that... i did that in open beta, and my companion didnt go anywhere....

seriously. t7 just stood there imobile while my inventory was full of grey junk...

I guess you could just have an alt devoted only to gathering skills. You would have plenty of storage space, your inventory, ship bank, guild bank, and other alts for storage.

Yea, but your alt can't gather where he cant go, so you have to lvl him. Also you could use his companions to mission the mats for you, but again, to have enough companions to make it worth your while, you have to lvl up. Also, your gonna need creds for those missions, so no, the only way to go about it effeciently is to lvl your craft skills as you lvl

I was considering going Slicing, Underworld Trading and Investigation until I got all the schematics I wanted for Cybertech (Speeder Bike, Willpower Earpiece, all the grenades)

Then dropping Investigation and Slicing for Cybertech and Salvaging.

Thoughts?

Exactly what im going for, schematics, will worry about the crafting of them later... many alts...