What Dev/QA person thought Crisis on Umbara was okay?

I'm a brand new player, just started farming Master Flashpoints and having a lot of fun with them. Then I random queued into this piece of garbage. First of all I get 30FPS on the train portion on a 2080TI, who thought that this performance/optimization was okay for live? The boss that does the ground and pound is the most boring un-fun design, as a tank you spend 70% of the fight on the ground not playing and just spam taunt, but you get knocked down at a faster rate than you can taunt back as well. Overall the Flashpoint is a hot mess, and trying to execute mechanics at 20-40fps when you are used to playing at 100+ feels really bad. I generally try not to overly criticize but after playing the game and really enjoying almost everything so far and then slamming into this garbage is really off-putting and really just begs the question. How the hell did this make it out of testing? Beyond sloppy.

Haha good post. :D

I like to think of Umbara as the dev's troll flashpoint.

"Oh you want this train stronghold? Good luck with the flashpoint it is gated behind, sucka!"

i think you can still be summoned to the area where you can buy the stronghold by someone with access so you don't need to buy the item? worked like that when it was introduced at least and dunno if they ever got around to fixing that bug

First of all I get 30FPS on the train portion on a 2080TI, who thought that this performance/optimization was okay for live?

Unless you have a *very* slow GPU, SWTOR often gets bogged down in the stuff that's handled on the main CPU, to the extent that beyond a certain point (and a 2080Ti like yours - or mine - is way far beyond that point), adding GPU performance adds nothing.(1)

What CPU do you have?

(1) Most games *have* such a point, although it's not normally quite as visible as it is in SWTOR.

CPU is always the bottleneck in swtor

Not *always*. A *very* slow GPU will be a bottleneck even in the situations that everyone complains about.

Case in point: my old machine was assembled in 2011, and was, for reasons that weren't really relevant to anything even then, a bit slow: i5-750 or -760, Nvidia GT430, 8GB RAM, etc. The GT430 *is* DirectX 11 compatible, but desperately slow, at the level of 20-25 FPS in 1080p in *Medium*, with the Ctrl+Shift+F fps meter showing that it was nevertheless bottlenecked on the GPU, *even in Warzones and Operations*. Everyone says that SWTOR slows down in Warzones and Ops, and yet on that machine I saw *no* slowdowns at all.

When I upgraded it directly to a non-Ti GTX1080(1), on the other hand, it proved to be quite capable of beating 100fps in ordinary situations even though the CPU is only 2.8 GHz boosting to 3.3. Er, on Ultra.

(1) Removed from the machine that replaced it after I upgraded *that* one to an RTX 2080Ti for non-SWTOR reasons.

Unless you have a *very* slow GPU, SWTOR often gets bogged down in the stuff that's handled on the main CPU, to the extent that beyond a certain point (and a 2080Ti like yours - or mine - is way far beyond that point), adding GPU performance adds nothing.(1)

What CPU do you have?

(1) Most games *have* such a point, although it's not normally quite as visible as it is in SWTOR.

I completely get that the bottleneck in MMOs is mostly going to be the CPU, but that is usually an occurrence that happens in extremely populated areas. Instanced content (dungeons/raids) is where you should be getting the best performance because it's separate from the "open world" low player count and easy to optimize since its going to be static content.

The main point being is if i'm rocking a 2080Ti or two and a CPU to match it. Getting 30fps (really 20-40) in a dungeon on literally the best hardware that money can buy right now on a game that was originally developed in 2011 is beyond unacceptable. I also get that the engine the game runs on is not the best, but if i run just about any other flashpoint at 100+fps then multiple people dropped the ball hard here. Something like this should never make it out live, its hard to enjoy any content no matter how well "thought-out" at sub par frames and massive stuttering, input lag, etc.

The main point being is if i'm rocking a 2080Ti or two and a CPU to match it. Getting 30fps (really 20-40) in a dungeon on literally the best hardware that money can buy right now on a game that was originally developed in 2011 is beyond unacceptable. I also get that the engine the game runs on is not the best, but if i run just about any other flashpoint at 100+fps then multiple people dropped the ball hard here. Something like this should never make it out live, its hard to enjoy any content no matter how well "thought-out" at sub par frames and massive stuttering, input lag, etc.

Umbara has attracted this kind of criticism from the day it hit Live, to be honest. I suspect that the on-the-train segment is heavily hindered by the moving outside environment, even when you're inside the train and can't *see* that environment. (In addition, my comments above about slow GPUs are relevant. Umbara came out before I bought my new machine, and on the old machine, the GPU was slow enough that Umbara's CPU hit was irrelevant.)

But yes, the performance drops in situations you wouldn't expect (in other MMORPGs) *are* out of the ordinary. They did recently say that they are trying to identify the cause of this in PvP (the same thing affects 8v8 Warzone PvP), so we may finally see some traction (and the core problem for PvP may well be closely related to - or even the same as - the problem in Umbara...).

Here's hoping, anyway...

At least You have 30 fps there, I have like 15-20 with extreme stuttering :D

Same, and even when I turn it to very low and disable things like nameplates and flynumbers. I love the game and I actually like Umbara, after the train part FPS gets stable again... however as much I love the game, it is horribly optimized, don't mind playing on lower graphics but would enjoy being able to see things without feeling like I'm watching a slideshow:rak_01:

But yes, the performance drops in situations you wouldn't expect (in other MMORPGs) *are* out of the ordinary. They did recently say that they are trying to identify the cause of this in PvP (the same thing affects 8v8 Warzone PvP), so we may finally see some traction (and the core problem for PvP may well be closely related to - or even the same as - the problem in Umbara...).

Here's hoping, anyway...

I would certainly hope so, its especially bad trying to do the Ossus or Mek-Sha world bosses with a full operations group.