$15 a month? :(

DrakeScc

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

$15 a month is the benchmark for most subscription A-class MMOs at this point; World of Warcraft has managed to keep it at that price for 7 years now, which means there'd be a pretty huge push of resistance if someone attempted to raise that pricepoint. Likewise, EverQuest was doing that subscription rate prior to WoW, so it isn't even Blizzard-specific.

I'd rather spend that money and know it's going to server maintenance/stabilization, ongoing content development, and (hopefully) eventual retail expansion packs.

Getting a month for free for the $60 is a nice value considering what all else we're getting. MMOs continue to be one of the greatest actual entertainment values around, considering in America you can't even get out of a movie for less than $20 if you get anything beyond just your ticket. That's two hours of entertainment for a one-time price greater than a monthly subscription rate for ongoing entertainment.

The whole "I want Free to Play" thing is annoying too. Most games that go that route are on the chopping block and like many have said, both $15 is standard, it's cheaper the more months you commit (what i did wish they had a 12 month one) and lastly it goes to the actual game. EA spent roughly 250-300 million on this game so you also have to think about that. The pure money needed to recoup, although not much if a lot of people actual buy it and subscribe, is what the money will be going towards. Also, Lastly, I used to buy game after game, nearly 3-4 a month at $50 ea. I would beat them and buy more the next month. That equaled roughly $150 a month and $1,800 a year if i didn't trade in where as once i started playing WoW it was 14.99 a month and 179 a year. A huge difference and a lot saved if you ask me.

Also they have eluded to release of new game material by way of updates so your still getting more game as time goes buy with that money and like others said good servers and good service does come with a dolla or two attached to it.

This...

Guild Wars 2

NCsoft ..... Personally I hated Aion.. and although I know a lot of people played Guild Wars personally the whole free to play aspect seems a little pointless. How exactly do you expect a game to get good content upgrades. Do the math for a second:

GW2 with 1 million people buying: 19.9 million which who knows what was spent on development of it thus rather or not a profit for content will be made.

SWTOR 1 million (although announced that we went over 1 million in a day): 60 million plus another 179.8 million if those 1 million subscribe for 1 year at 14.99 a month. Then that 179 is put towards content. Personally .49 cents a day is something i can find on the street corner. Or just one pack of gum or even a bottle soda not drank. and sadly in some cases for other players, not stereotyping, but four hot pockets and an energy drink saved.

I'm in the '$15 bucks a month is extremely cheap' camp. Your initial 60 dollars isn't going to help them maintain servers/continue game development for very long.

the initial $60 only sends $15 to server maint. the rest goes to pay for the materials, the people packing it, distribution and other such costs.

Darth Freki

I think the subscription method for MMO's are going to be gone in the near future, isn't WoW the only game that has a monthly fee since Aion just went F2P a month ago and I really can't think of another MMo with a fee maybe Eve?

That's because Aion is a very boring and lame game in my personal, and see it is my "personal" opinion. I think if a game normally goes F2P it means it wasn't very good to begin with and thus cheaper to go F2P and just not develop high end material anymore. STO RIP! Had potential but just went the wrong way. Speaking of which.. a moment of silence for those MMOs that lost money for development aka. Stargate Worlds.

I think the subscription method for MMO's are going to be gone in the near future, isn't WoW the only game that has a monthly fee since Aion just went F2P a month ago and I really can't think of another MMo with a fee maybe Eve?

first of all, EQ1: still pay to play completely. eq2, coh/cov are F2P hybrid, giving perks for paying and limiting what you can do when you don't pay to play.

Aion is still pay to play, no one has mentioned aion going F2P, it is rumor and people trying to make bad assumptions that believe that. I just checked their site and it still is $14.99

Darth Freki